Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Make-A-Wish

I blog for a variety of reasons.  Mostly I blog because I enjoy keeping track of our family adventures and like going back to see all the cute pictures.  Sometimes I blog because it's helpful for recalling specific details.  For example, just today I couldn't remember the name of Annika's second grade teacher but found it easily on the blog.  Many times blogging feels like a chore or obligation.  But sometimes it's more than that.  When dealing with heavy topics, blogging helps me to process.

Today's post is like that.  Make-A-Wish.  It's big, right?  When Annika's doctors first approached our family about a Make-A-Wish referral, I felt super disturbed.  In my mind, Make-A-Wish was synonymous with terminal illness.  Even though I knew how close Annika had come to death, I had no interest in being a part of that club.  In my mind, I pictured children battling cancer, having lost their hair to chemotherapy.  Annika made it through.  She recovered.  She survived, and now she was well.  End of story.  

Don't get me wrong--I was all about granting wishes for ill children.  I just didn't want my child to fall into that category.  And when they approached us about Annika becoming a Make-A-Wish poster child?  Sheesh.  Jason was all in favor, but it was much more than I could handle.  Let's just say that our differing viewpoints caused some marital tension.

It turns out that there is a sorority near our home, Chi Omega, who fundraises for Make-A-Wish each year.  They wanted to involve Annika in some of their special events and share her story online.  They needed a kid to be the "face" of their campaign, and I wanted nothing to do with it.  This was just weeks after her cardiac arrest and my emotions were far too raw.  Jason, on the other hand, felt that we really ought to be supportive.  Still salty, I finally capitulated and told Jason that fine, we could do it as long as he took care of everything.  I didn't want to be there.

And so, Jason did!  He took care of all the email correspondence, wrote her story, and brought her to the Wish Week Olympics held at Reservoir park, just a few blocks from our home.  I showed up late and found her surrounded by a mob of college students, including all these frat boys.

I think many kids would be overwhelmed, but Annika LOVED all the attention.  She was having so much fun as the judge and referee for all these events where competitors paid an entrance "fee" that was donated to Make-A-Wish.

Plus, some of the girls brought their puppies for Annika, and she got to go crazy with the whipped cream.  Life is sweet.

Balloons, donuts, and an outpouring of love--my heart was definitely softening.  Perhaps being a Make-A-Wish family wasn't so bad after all. 

While a scheduling conflict still kept me from the next Chi Omega Wish Week activity, I was done sulking.  In fact, I was grateful.  All those frat boys?  Well, they brought Annika an entire box of Crumbl Cookies, along with an adorable handwritten note.  Meanwhile, the Chi Omega girls gave her this beautiful butterfly necklace and a leopard print backpack.  Now I know life isn't all about stuff, but I was deeply touched by their thoughtfulness.


For Annika, the very best part was yet to come. She got to ride the Bucking Bronco!


Yee haw!  Best day ever.


Oh wait!  I just remembered why I wasn't there this day.  I was skiing with my cousin Greg.  As we drove down the hill on our way back, we passed this big crowd surrounding a giant inflatable bull. Totally shocked, I squealed and explained that I thought Jason and Annika were there.  Greg snapped a quick photo (not creepy at all), and sure enough, we spotted Jason under the tree!


Meanwhile, Annika was inside having a great time line dancing.  At one point Jason lost track of her, and discovered that she was upstairs on the roof.


I never thought I'd be thanking a sorority, but thank you Chi Omega for helping Annika feel so special, and for helping to grant wishes for kids everywhere.


After this special week, I was ready to consider Make-A-Wish with an open mind.  I learned that Make-A-Wish kids do not have to be terminally ill.  However, they do have to be "diagnosed with a critical illness that is placing the child's life in jeopardy."  While I still don't love this language, the truth is that Annika does have a critical illness that absolutely places her life in jeopardy.  While we are grateful that she now has medications and an ICD for protection, it's likewise okay to acknowledge that her heart is still sick.  Does it hurt to admit this?  Absolutely.  It hurts a lot.  But is it helpful to progress?  I think so.  And if the journey is hard at times, a wish brings joy and light.

Still a bit unsure, I took a look at Make-A-Wish's cardiology referral sheet.  It turns out that Annika qualifies in a couple of areas, both in terms of her cardiomyopathy and her Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator.  So yeah, even though Annika seems amazingly healthy, when it comes to Make-A-Wish, turns out she's legit.

So, we began the process of working with Annika's wish granters, two lovely women named Tami and Katelyn.  They came to our home and helped Annie decide on the wish of her dreams.  Then they invited us to Make-A-Wish Utah's headquarters (located in Murray) for a very special wish declaration.

"Welcome to a Wishing Place, Annika!"  I wish everyone could see this magical wishing place.  Being there felt so special.


On our tour, we were greeted with a sky full of stars.  Each of these stars represents a wish granted for a child here in Utah.  Some day Annika's star will hang brightly as well.  On the wall were some stories of very special wishes, ranging from a Secret Garden to a blessing from the Pope.  A cancer patient wished for toys to give to those going through treatment with her, while a boy wished for a drum set and grew up to become a professional musician.


Annika got a chance to write down some very special wish ideas of her own.  I'm pretty sure I see something about eating octopus and sea urchin.  Her wishes went into a special brass canister while the rest of us had a moment to write down our wishes for Annie.


Annie then received a special skeleton key that unlocked the wish tower.  The room can only be accessed by a Wish Kid and their guests.


A magical space with changing lights and a water wall, it was the perfect place to share our own wishes for Annika.  I may have cried a little...or perhaps a lot.


When we were done, some glowing lights on the floor led Annika to the spot where she could send her wish to the Wish Wizard.  Whenever this happens, a beam of light shoots up from the building.  If you are driving by and see this light, you can know that a Wish Kid is being granted their wish.


Annika and her wish granters.  Thank you!

The Wish Wizard must have worked some quick magic, because once we made it downstairs, it was already decorated to match Annika's wish.  Aloha Hawaii!  More than anything, she wants to swim with dolphins.


Grandma Susie and Grandpa Charles, thanks for joining us for this special occasion!

Thank you to Make-A-Wish and all who support this tender program for helping Annika's wish come true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Occasionally benevolent associations really live up to their lofty mission statements. In this instance, Make-A-Wish has succeeded: not only with Annika, but with blessing attitudes of her cautious mom and entire family! Thank you for this inspiring write-up. It reminds us there is so much kindness and good in the world!