Monday, July 03, 2023

Heckuvalottasnow

So I have a folder on my desktop titled "Brighton."  That's really just codespeak for heckuvalottasnow.  It's where I dump the most impressive snowy white pictures as I go through my photo roll.

But it's July.  As monumental as this season's snowfall was, who really wants to think about winter?  Not I, said the cat.  Not I, said the dog.  Then I will do it by myself, said the overwhelmed blogger.

Even though these wintry pictures feel a bit ridiculous in the 90 degree heat, today is an appropriate day to look back.  Governor Spencer Cox declared today, July 2nd, 2023, as a Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving for the record-breaking snowfall.  We truly are so grateful for the abundance that has refilled our lakes and reservoirs.  Now I pray that both the rain and our faith will continue for seasons to come.

I thought about putting these pictures back into order, but ain't nobody got no time for that.  Enjoy this smattering of our epic Salt Lake winter 2022/2023.

Talia, taking a nighttime stroll through Federal Heights.

While our family enjoyed many Brighton ski days, this one in January was special because we brought Annika.  She still had activity restrictions, so she hung out in the lodge while other skiied.  Traffic up Big Cottonwood was horrendous (an all too common theme), so even though we left the house by 7:40, there was NO parking.  Thankfully Callie explained our situation to one of the Brighton employees and they saved us a spot right up front so that Annika wouldn't have to walk far.  We were so grateful!

A Wheeler/Wilhoit family photo in the lodge.

While Annika couldn't ski, she could dig herself a little snow fort.  Here we are watching through the window.  So much powder!


The bread bowl soups are always a win.



Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza!  These munchkins are fast.

Okay, I have SOOOO many pictures of huge snow piles.  For the entire season I just couldn't get past how much powder.  And then I'd go up the canyon again and there would be even more!  In truth, it became problematic because the canyon was closed so often for avalanche control. 

Anyway, I happened upon this mound and couldn't figure out what I was looking at. 


Oh, a house!

Here's the same place later in the season.  You can't even see the first story!

Skiing with family is the best.  Here I am with Christy, having way too much fun.


Did I mention there was a lot of snow?


What's better than family? MORE family!  Here I am with Christy and my cousin Greg.  I love how Brighton has brought us together, all the way from Arizona to New York.  Christy made Salt Lake her home all winter, while Greg stayed with us for a couple of weeks.  Less fortunate similarities.  Last season Greg broke his femur skiing.  This season Christy tore her ACL.  Sad day!  Good news is that Greg is now fully recovered and Christy had her ACL repaired a couple days ago, so we are hopeful that she will get back to the slopes soon too.




Hanging with another amazing ski bum, Anders. Just like his sister Eila, this little dude can shred.



Say cheese!  Or, plop.


Anders is a fearless daredevil who does his best to keep up with Eli, even on moguls.  Every once in a while it ends like this.  Three cheers for fresh powder!


With so much hair to protect his brains, I'm not sure Eli needs a helmet.  

Eila sure looks happy!  This girl was made for the slopes.

Skiing with friends is the next best thing to skiing with family.  Here's Jason with Ben Keddington.

So I don't know why we never discovered it before, but Brighton Kids Club is awesome!  S'mores on special days, plus a free hot chocolate from each of the cafes.


Did I mention the avy dogs come and visit too?  These pups worked so hard all season.

I bet they have fun shoveling out this door every day.  Or imagine owning the cabin below.  It's one of the ones that you pass on your way into Brighton.


At least the powder makes for a comfy pillow.  Enjoy your snooze, Callie.

Snack time.  We definitely miss the days when the brown bag area was in the A-frame lodge with its beautiful windows.

Now you have to buy some fries to enjoy the blizzard.

Okay, stepping away from Brighton to appreciate the snow in the neighborhood.  Our chapel looks pretty decked in white.  It's just a lot of work to shovel.


Plenty of shoveling at our house too!  Anyone seen the minivan?  How about the cruiser?



The crazy thing about our property is that the snow lasts so much longer than elsewhere.  There was plenty of snow for Annika to build a miniature snow fort (and mess up the sidewalk.)


But look at the house across the street!  This picture was taken at the same time.

Back to Brighton and another fun day with Greg and the Wilhoits.




Talia can ski circles around me these days.  Actually, all the kids can.  I love it.




With gratitude for all the moisture here in Utah, with the greatest snow on earth.

No comments: