Friday, July 14, 2023

Fifth Water Faux Prom

Instead of going to prom this year, Tally Wally decided to go backpacking with her cute friend Beyah.  Beyah's mom happens to be an art teacher at West as well, so we have all sorts of great connections.  We'd wanted to hike the West Rim Trail and even had a permit, but unfortunately the snow in Zion was still super deep.

Instead of venturing out to Southern Utah, we stayed closer to home and explored Fifth Water Hot Springs up Spanish Fork Canyon.  The gate was locked, so we backpacked a short distance up the road into Three Forks Campground and had the place to ourselves.  It was pretty chilly, so we were grateful for firepits and leftover firewood to warm up.

All went well until Talia and I were unloading our packs.  Just as I got a whiff of the peanut butter pretzels I'd brought, I heard Jamie holler, Skunk!  There's a skunk trying to get into your tent!

Ever brilliant in an emergency, I completely froze.  If a skunk wanted to visit, who was I to argue?  Talia finally hissed, Mom, at least zip the door before it climbs in!

Fortunately the commotion caused the skunk to change its mind.  It lazily sauntered in between the two tents and into the foliage.  With a sigh of relief, Talia and I decided that the peanut butter was too enticing and needed to go.  I sent her off towards the outhouse with the offending ziploc, but instead of dumping the pretzels down the hole, she just scattered the pretzels in the dirt nearby.  Great.  Nothing like a hoard of creatures to keep you company during your midnight potty run.  With a sigh, I went back and gathered up all the treats.  The river was running full, so I chucked them off the bridge and let them float away as snacks for the fish.  As for the rest of the food, we hung it up in a tree for the night.

The world looked bright and far less scary with the morning light.  We left our tents standing and started hiking toward the hot springs.  Jamie and I wanted a restroom break first, so Talia and Beyah went ahead.

Bad idea!  While the group was separated, Jamie and I missed the turnoff for the trailhead and got TOTALLY lost.  I'm guessing we hiked an extra five miles before we finally caught up with the girls.

At least the springs and waterfall were worth it, even if the water was boiling.

Mother-daughter bonding time.  These gals are growing up too fast!


Trying to decide if Talia's hair clashes.  I think it just complements the fluorescence.

So these silly gals decided they were going to get all decked out for prom, nature-style.  Here they are making corsages out of mud and leaves.

Being each other's prom dates.  Love the make-up!  Also, if you could read the letters on their legs, it would say PROM.  Gotta admit, these prom shots are unlike all others.


Ready for the pack out.


 All in all, it was a great prom alternative.  I'm just REALLY glad that I didn't discover the recent Fifth Water news until we arrived home.  Apparently a man drowned in the hot springs the day before we arrived, plus another man was attacked by a mountain lion in the area.  Yikes!  I'm so grateful that our biggest threat was just a skunk.  A deadly stench, but at least you'll survive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A skunk in the tent ... Usually its a Boy Scout prank, but this event really occurred. Glad you survived and kept smiling!