Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Entering the World of Boy

This past week has been an initiation into the world of "boy." While folding laundry yesterday, I counted thirteen different baby outfits that had already been washed, not to mention the three dirty ones that were awaiting the next load. I thought that was pretty impressive for a 5 day-old, particularly considering that the first two days he wore the same shirt in the hospital. Every time Eli tinkles, it somehow shoots right out--it seems pointless to even put on a diaper. Of course, considering yesterday's circumcision, I think he is fully justified in seeking revenge on whomever/whatever he can...

6 comments:

Lina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kes LT said...

Circumcision???!!!..

Kara said...

Kes,
I can completely understand your shock at poor Eli's circumcision. I thought I'd at least offer an explanation (albeit, not a good justification.) Circumcision rates in the United States are much higher than most other places in the world, hovering around 85%. While both Jason and I consider the practice to be medically unnecessary (not to mention rather barbaric), it also seems hard to explain to a little boy why he's different from his Dad and most of his boy friends. This was a difficult decision for us that I ultimately left up to Jason--I consider it male domain. While Eli's handled the "procedure" just fine, we still aren't thrilled with the entire idea.... hopefully he'll forgive us someday.

Tanja said...

I guess - if it needs to be done than it is better to do it this early in life - my nephew had problems and he was already 10 or 11 years old and it was hard on him then (with pain and high fever).

Mrs. M said...

You probably know this already, but just in case, you have to point his *member* down when you are putting on a fresh diaper.

Aislin said...

I think circumcision is a hygiene issue. Fewer infections, etc. But wow, the whole things makes me uncomfortable...