Friday, November 05, 2021

Fall Hiking and Biking

There are many reasons to love Utah, but in my mind, hiking tops the list.  Here are Annika and I up Adams Canyon.  She couldn't go to school because she had a runny nose.  Once her Covid rapid test came back negative, we headed straight for the canyon and had a great time.



This waterfall is one of my favorites.  Perfect for a toasty day!



Next up, Mount Aire.  It was my first time taking this little jaunt up Millcreek Canyon.  I love it when the leaves start to change color.



In September the kids had an asynchronous learning day, so we decided to take our learning to the wilderness.  We met Grandma Susie for a hike up the Deuel Creek South Trail in Centerville, Utah.  It was a bit of a rough ride getting our minivan to the trailhead, but the hike was totally worth it.  The trail was shaded and ran alongside a creek most of the way.


Even better was the giant rope swing along the way.  We all enjoyed going for a ride.

Nicely swung, Grandma Susie!




The end of the trail was marked by a dramatic waterfall. I'm just going to assume that Talia's perch isn't nearly as precarious as the camera angle makes it appear.


More swinging on the way back.





As the perfect finale, we all stopped for Blacksmith Ice Cream in Bountiful.  Yum!  Definitely education at its finest.


Closer to home, I love how I can head out for a walk up towards the U...

...and end up bushwhacking my way through Dry Creek.

Bones and Bonding Beetles.  It's the Circle of Life.

In fact, I ran into so many animal bones along this secluded trail that I decided to turn around.  After passing the third scattered carcass, I started to get nervous about mountain lions.  I'm all about the Circle of Life, but I'm not ready to join it.

Meanwhile Jason did some pretty intense cycling, logging his longest ride yet (70 plus miles.)  He and Stephen James literally biked all around the valley, making a giant loop that stretched as far out as Daybreak.  Impressive.


Battling through the home stretch on the giant hill just east of West.

Another early morning ride with Ben Schreiter.  You know your friends are great when this is how you spend time together.


Last but not least, a friendly nod to Nebraska's beauty.  Squint a little and you can pretend these are golden cornfields--at least if you photoshop out the mountains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I particularly like the rope swing. I have a 20 foot rope in our garage that we might successfully hang in our back yard if you visit Omaha again next summer. You have such scenic views along your hikes -- how fortunate. However, your fake Nebraska prairie / cornfield photos need improvement; just like this years' NE Cornhusker Football team. Go Big Red!