Thursday, October 23, 2008

Post #20: You can't take it with you

Even though I've shopped and bought and shopped again over the past six weeks, I've recently become surprisingly detached from materialistic things. As a foreigner, I'm keenly aware that everything I purchase is temporary. It's easy to be satisfied with merchandise that is less than perfect because I won't be able to take it with me anyway. Who cares if the couch is a bit stained?--we only need it for a year.

In a way, I hope that I can keep this perspective once I return to the States. After all, we are all sojourners here on earth. Viewed from an eternal perspective, our journey is oh-so-brief. When it comes to "things," no matter what it is, you can't take it with you.

This perspective has helped me keep my cool with my little ones. We've learned that our nice tile floor is both nice and hard, meaning that nearly everything that gets dropped gets shattered. While such moments can be frustrating and disappointing, it helps to remember that ultimately, it's just stuff.

No comments: