Friday, October 24, 2008

Post #21: The Exit

Coming to France has definitely helped me better appreciate the difficulties that my students face as learners of English as a second language. There's nothing like moving to a country where you don't speak the language to make you humble. While we often glorify the enlightening process of learning another language, we forget that this perception of "brilliance" generally comes in retrospect. At the time, learning a second language can be downright humiliating.

And thus, six weeks after the incident, I'm finally summoning the courage to write about my first trip to the Carrefour grocery store.

I survived shopping. I even survived the process of checking out, which as you might guess, involves talking to another human being. And then I went out the door. I understood the writing on the door, "Sortie," which means "Exit." Unfortunately, I didn't understand "de Secours." It wasn't until the security guard came chasing me down, scolding all the while, that I figured out that I had just gone out the "Emergency Exit." I don't blame the guard for scolding. What stung was the fact that the door was so clearly labeled--easy enough for a child to understand. In an unfamiliar language environment, it doesn't matter how educated you are or how many other languages you may speak: if you don't speak the host language, you look downright dumb.

At such moments, it's tempting to head for the nearest "Emergency Exit" into a familiar language and cultural context. Fortunately, the thought of repacking all those suitcases is a pretty good deterrent...

4 comments:

Tanja said...

Jason - I wish you "Get Well" for your cold and the right vocabularies at the Pharmacy for cold medicine. I admire you -- I don't know if I would be brave enough to be in a Foreign country and to even order food or buying things. I think it would be especially difficult to explain to the lady at the pharmacy that you need something for a stuffy nose and not for a runny nose, something for your chest, but without alcohol - if possible. I would definitely getting homesick in such a case. Again - Get better soon and have a great weekend. We have Stakeconference this weekend - which means sleeping out a little bit longer.

Tanja said...

I mean sleeping in - not out :)

Ben said...

Oops! It's like the time I took the wrong exit at U of C and ended up locked in the stairwell. I didn't want to make an alarm go off, so I sat there for 30 minutes waiting for the guard to come let me out. They never came. I gave up and made the alarm go off.

Jackie said...

Oh no! That's too bad and frustrating I'm sure! Made me chuckle though...