Thursday, October 16, 2008

Post #15: The Haircut

So while this post may only mark the half-way point in the thirty-day blogfest, it happens to be our 100th overall blogpost. Thus, the need for something drastic and remarkable.

Does this count?









I guess Jason has found a new outlet for all of his creative energy.

While Brooklyn has been talking for a while about wanting a haircut, we didn't take her seriously until this morning when her balking and bawling about having her hair washed became unbearable. After wrestling Brooklyn into the tub, Jason came out armed with scissors--he was determined to win the war.

And so, with nothing better to do on a drizzly, overcast morning, we stripped our little Brooklyn of her most identifying characteristic--those gorgeous blond locks.

While at first it was all fun and games, as soon as Jason started to cut, I went into an absolute panic. I was admittedly obnoxious--fussing and fretting like a mother hen, offering banal "suggestions" and "advice" until Jason finally asked me to go into the other room. I went into the other room, puttered around for a moment, and came right back. I simply couldn't endure being separated from my baby during the "operation." I thought I'd experienced scissor shock before, but nothing has ever compared to this. I confess that on several occasions I wished that we'd left such serious business to the professionals.

Fortunately, while he may be an amateur, Jason did a great job. Brooklyn is thrilled with her new look. Now that I've had a little bit of time to adjust, I admit that I love it too. The pictures don't really do the cut justice--you can't capture the "swoosh" when she bounces her head around. :) Even better, it only takes twenty seconds to do hair instead of twenty minutes. I guess I've learned that hiding beneath my baby's golden locks was a charming little girl yearning to be set free from her web of tangles.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE her new haircut! It's supercute and will make your mornings SO much easier! Missing you all!

Anonymous said...

I truly think this was a great choice for Brooklyn, and the rest of her family. Life is too short to complicate with hair snags and tangles. The haircut is cute, simple and sensible. Good for all of you!
Bye, Bye... PapaK.

Chou said...

She looks so cute! I can't wait for Jason to do my hair next . . . :) It's definately an older look (e.g. from 3 to 4), maybe that's some of the anxiety?

Ben said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

Even I had scissor shock just from looking at the pictures. But Evie's got her hair cut now, too, and I know how much those little girls love to have less hassle about the hair!

Anonymous said...

Also, that's the weirdest little TV nook I've ever seen.