Friday, November 11, 2022

Homecoming

I don't know how Homecoming Royalty worked in your school growing up, but in my school it was a giant popularity contest.  Needless to say, I was never in the running.  So when Brooklyn asked me if she ought to consider West High's Homecoming Court, I was pretty shocked.  When she explained that meant writing a short essay and being awarded $500, it suddenly seemed like a great idea.

Well, Brooklyn's a great writer with a great personality.  Her essay was one of four selected, and lo and behold, she became Homecoming Royalty!  Personally, I am enchanted with West's broader view of Homecoming.  

When we found out the good news, Callie and I raced over to West to watch Brooklyn be recognized.  
If we'd come a little earlier, we could have watched the men's golf team accidentally lose hold of a golf club and send it sailing through the auditorium.  Through the grace of God, the club lodged into the dry wall in the ceiling and tragedy was averted.  I shudder to think about what could have happened!

Back to Brooklyn, here she is at the Homecoming game.  The sash suits her well!

Five points to whoever can spot her here.  I think she's somewhere behind Holly Bell.

Brooklyn enjoyed her moment of fame on the field, but liked the time in the bleachers with her friends even more.  (Full disclosure--her "field glory" was exceptionally brief--they forgot to announce the royalty until after they'd walked off the field.)

Not to worry, Brooklyn was flying on cloud nine after being asked to her first formal dance.  Josh gifted our Kraken a disc, while she paid homage to his inner Cougar with a BYU themed response.


At last!  Photos of the big day.  Look out world, here she comes! 

Brooklyn and her date.


Jason was kind enough to go and take photographs for the group at this awesome spot they found.  What an amazing group of friends!  I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Top row from left to right:  Josh Sederstrom, Ammon Borden, Arthur Taft, William Dansie, Scott Wentworth
Bottom row: Brooklyn Wheeler, Stine Jergensen, Lorian Thorup, Lily Asay, Katelyn Serr




Ammon, Josh, and Scott.

Adding Arthur and William to the mix.

Brooklyn and Lily.   These two besties had so much fun vintage shopping for their dresses and shoes.

Dining at Buca di Beppo.  In the end, the group had so much fun with all the pre-dance activities that I don't think they spent much time at the actual Homecoming Dance.  Held outside at the track field across from West, the dance ended at 10pm, well before the high schoolers could turn into pumpkins.

Now for all the fun in black and white.  Such a cool feel!







Meanwhile Talia likewise had a fantastic experience with her friend group.  Doesn't she look stunning?  I love our girls!

Talia's friends decided to participate as one big group instead of pairing off.  I can't tell you how grateful I am for the amazing friends my kids have made at West.

From right to left: Ella, Clara, Talia, and Jacob.  Clara's mom Lisa invited the whole group to dine in their beautiful backyard.  The table settings were just beautiful!  When she said they were eating Cafe Rio, I expected paper plates and disposable silverware.  Instead, everyone's meal was elegantly plated and coupled with Italian sodas and fancy dessert.  I'm so grateful to Lisa for making this such a memorable evening for them all!

Almost makes you want to be in high school again!  I'm so glad that after years of masks, these kids have been able to have some beautiful teenage experiences where they see each others' smiles.



Top row, from left to right:  Joshua Joseph, Nina Zhu, Jacob Baker, Angela, Gabe Kinikini, Elena, Aadarsh, Talia Wheeler, Zach Davis, Clara Swain
Bottom Row: Ella Swenson, Beyah Delfin, Chinmay Goutham, Annie Benton, and Thatcher Rogers


Go West High Panthers!
So grown up, and yet they still need us.  Since this group doesn't drive yet, I was super happy to chauffeur a group to the dance.  It's really fun to listen in all their crazy conversation.

So there it is!  West High Homecoming 2022.  See below for Brooklyn's winning essay.

Six years, thousands of hours, many tears, and more laughter. My experience at West High School is not something I can accurately represent in a one-page essay, but I can sincerely say that West is now an inextricable part of my own identity. When I first walked through its doors, I was a nerdy seventh grader, struggling to find somewhere I belonged in a new city and intimidated by the prospect of entering a school that seemed so big it was likely to swallow you whole. In a way, that’s exactly it did. West welcomed me with open arms and the communities within enveloped me with encouragement to leave my comfort zone and realize my own potential. I was completely immersed in an environment that was rich with tradition and bright with diversity. Some of my most vivid memories are of the annual welcome assemblies where two freshmen would be “randomly” selected to kiss the head cheerleader and football captain (only to find it was actually their parents), singing “This is Me” for the diversity assembly, and being the first class of ELPers ever to win Spirit Bowl. My time at West has taught me more about myself than any other experience. The ELP program taught me never to accept anything less than my absolute best, and that no goal is unachievable if you put in the work. My friends taught me to prioritize my own health, that it’s okay to make mistakes, and that being imperfect doesn’t mean I don’t have value. Joining the Ultimate Frisbee team despite having always categorized myself as “not an athlete” made me realize that I could shatter the labels I placed on myself, and being the youngest member of West’s auditioned choirs in eight grade showed me that I can be a leader in any situation. 

The legacy that West has left on me is clear, but as I approach my own graduation, I have started to wonder what my legacy on West will be. As we celebrate the centennial of the building, its timelessness can make it difficult to recognize the footprints that we leave in the halls. Though I have made my mark as an individual and will literally sign the wall in the choir room before I leave for the last time, I think my greatest contribution has simply been as a member of the community. I am proud to belong to a school where diversity is so valued that I have never witnessed bullying, with a legacy longer than any other public high school in Utah, and with traditions that will have me running around a gym covered in red face paint this March. Though I have hidden in a classroom during enough gun threats to recognize that it is not perfect, it is as much of a home to me as any place I have ever lived. West is the reason I’m applying early to Stanford. It’s why I plan on double majoring in Computer Science and English, and it’s how I have learned to stop letting fear of failure dictate the opportunities I embrace. When West swallowed me, I didn’t realize how terrifying it would be to leave its shadow, but I know that it has prepared me to thrive as an adult. I eagerly anticipate entering the next chapter of my life, but West will always be my alma mater, and I know the thirst for learning I experienced here will remain in its classrooms for generations to come.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brooklyn! I knew you were royal from before the time you entered mortality. Your essay is thoughtful, inspiring and excellent. Keep smiling, and "remember who you are."