Friday, September 24, 2010

Buckin' Up

So, I composed the previous blogpost last night, but decided it was too pathetic to post. Plus, I was worried that it might spawn a few cheer-up phone calls--the last thing my mopey self wanted to handle.

Fortunately, I've cowboyed up, bucked up, and pulled myself up by my bootstraps. While I still miss my hubby, good things are happening in our neck of the woods. Here are a few of my favorites:

1) Power tools. Without Jason around to tackle my honey-do list, I've had to take over myself. After seven plus years of marriage, I finally learned to use the drill. There's something very empowering about using a 6mm bit to put holes in the wall. Vroom!

2) Free childcare at the St. George Rec Center. For $1.50 per class, I can both workout and enjoy an entire hour sans enfants. My kids really like it there and beg to go all the time, so I'm getting whipped into shape. Over the past few weeks, I've experienced my first classes in yoga, pilates, cardio circuit--even zumba!

3) Dixie Sun's International Dance Festival. Last night Brooklyn's school hosted a Fiesta de Bailes. Held outside on a gorgeous evening, the event was fabulous, with dances from Israel, Mexico, Hawaii, Korea, Nigeria, and the Philippines.

Here are the kindergartners, representing the U.S. by dancing the "Hokey Pokey."

4) And last but not least, tonight was Brooklyn's first campfire as a Daisy Scout. S'mores roasted under an idyllic mountain backdrop--talk about a winning combination!

Brooklyn was so serene as she proudly posted the colors.

Girls like to play with fire too!

So Daddy dearest, while we miss you still, you'll be glad to know that we're still having plenty of fun without you. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep Smiling Milkweed! You, and all others in your family, are doing well. It is impressive to see our All American Girl respectfully holding the U.S. Flag. My only suggestion -- remember you are a "cowgirl" instead of a "cowboy." ... However, I have yet to see you in Justin boots and a 10 gallon hat. If it helps any, boots and hats are all over Omaha this weekend since it is "The River City Roundup." This place is overrun with cowboy/cowgirl wannabe's. But almost all are "All Hat, No Cattle." Bye, Bye

Anonymous said...

Furthermore ... based on your terrific kindergarten dance photo, "what if the Hokey Pokey is really what it is all about?"

The Favorite said...

You are strong and can do it- hey, you already did almost, great job!
So cute of Brooklyn in Daisies. If you want Jane's blue daisy tunic I'd be happy to send it you way. She's a brownie this year.
Love the dance festival!

Crys said...

Wow those rec classes sound great! We are in Provo this week. Maybe we could come down and visit?

Ashlee said...

You used a drill? I'm impressed! I used a hammer once. Poor Corey does all of that in our house too... and in addition he also does the sewing and the ironing- 2 things I never learned!

Ivy said...

I just started using the power sander. I know what you mean about "empowering." :)

Bruce Richards said...

This story from Reader's Digest seemed like one Anonymous would post on Kara's blog:
A German, looking for directions in Paris, pulls up to a bus stop where two Americans were waiting.
"Entschuldigung, sprechen Sie Deutsch?" he asks. The two Americans just stare at him. "Parlez-vous francais?" he says. The two continue to stare, so the German tries again: "parlate italiano?" No response. "Hablan ustedes espanol?" Still nothing. Frustrated, the German guy drives off.
The first American says, "you know, we should learn a foreign language."
"Why?" asks the other. "He knew four languages, and it didn't do him any good."
Keep smiling.