Sunday, September 05, 2010

Kindergarten Confidence

In going through pictures this evening, I came across these pictures that I took of Brooklyn before her first day of kindergarten.

The T-shirt was especially chosen in honor of "Red" day.

Ah, to be full of such exuberance and confidence!

This super-hero girl certainly felt ready to conquer the world!

Two weeks later, and school is still going really well. While the first thematic unit of colors might have been a bit simplistic in English, learning them in Spanish added the perfect amount of challenge. I have been amazed at how quickly Brooklyn seems to be catching on to the language. While it may not be directly relevant, I think her exposure to French has really helped, particularly in terms of metalinguistic awareness. She clearly understands what a language is and how it is used. She's not frustrated by differing word orders or the lack of word-for-word correspondence. She views language as a medium for communication, not a vehicle for direct translation.

To add to the joy of it, she currently speaks with a very French accent, producing her "r's" in the very back of her throat instead of with the tip of her tongue. I crack up every time she talks about the color "gris." I'll have to try and get a video recording soon because this adorable quirk is quickly disappearing. In the meantime, we're having a great time trading in "Brown Bear" for "Oso Pardo" as our favorite bedtime story.

And, now that the color unit is over, we have officially transitioned to school uniforms.

Never one for conformity as a child, I must say that as a parent, I absolutely love the convenience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous photos of just one of my very favorite "All American Girls" ... Keep up your courage and confidence Brooklyn! This reminds me (sortof) of an Oak Ridge Boys song titled "American Made" ... composed many years prior to Brooklyn's birth. Hear it on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DukerVeENxY

Susie said...

How darling. I love your great big smile, Brooklyn! It makes ME smile, also (and miss you greatly!)