Sunday, September 05, 2010

I Have, Therefore I Want

It’s curious how having something can create more longing than satisfaction. I’ve always been amazed by how the wealthy often wish they had more. Over these past few weeks, however, I’ve come to realize how easy it is to get sucked into this cycle of materialism.

Ever since France, I’ve secretly longed for a house. Tired of apartment living, I wanted four walls of our own where the kids could run free and I could play piano at midnight. I dreamed of a small patch of grass where we could plant our own garden, free from community regulations dictating where to put the tomatoes.

I wanted a house. Just a house.

And now I have one. (Or at least the bank does. Technically speaking, I just have a lot of debt.)

Yet in the acting of having, I suddenly find myself wanting—wanting things I never even desired before. Now that I have a patio, I want patio furniture. Now that we have a backyard, I wish we had a swingset. Or better yet, a trampoline! A bike trailer seems so much more important now that we have fun trails to explore. Now that he has his own room, Eli could use a dresser. It would be fun to have a couch downstairs. I never wanted a flat-screen TV before, but darn it, we’ve got a wall that would suit one just perfectly!

There’s simply no end to the wants that having can create. I feel so grateful for our new home and the space that it’s providing for our family to live, love, and grow. I think it’s time to simply step back and appreciate all that’s here rather than wistfully longing for more.

(Of course, it’s easy to be satisfied since we upgraded to a queen-sized bed today. Naturally, the new bed needed a new mattress…and a new dresser…plus a nightstand to complete the set. I’d like to post pictures, but I have to get new bedding first. Ah, it’s hopeless!)

5 comments:

Erin said...

I feel the same way, Kara. I hit the Labor Day sales yesterday,but forgot my wallet so I couldn't buy anything. I appreciate that you talked about "wanting" versus "needing". I'm trying to keep those differences very clear in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Although I fundamentally agree with your "Have - want, want - need" analysis, at the ripe old age of 57 this obstacle is no longer a problem. I no longer want additional household furniture or TV's. However, it occurs to me that I really NEED a private airplane capable of flying between Omaha and St. George in three hours or less. Although I "want" an executive jet and crew with all the latest gadgets, a plain ol' lear jet is all I really "need." ... Keep Smiling!

michelle said...

I can empathize. (I almost wrote compenetrate there. My family always tells me that's not a word. A little Spanglish, perhaps.) I remember thinking that we were so blessed last year to have a rental house that could have it's own washer and dryer, a yard with a view of grass not a neighbor's yard, windows, a garage, a second bathroom, a third bedroom, and a big refrigerator. Then we moved in and I wanted matching furniture, draperies, a second car, a lawn mower, the bike and bike trailer, the rec membership, a new camera etc. Fortunately for my "needs", but not necessarily for our budget, I got to deal with surgery instead. I learned that some things weren't as important. It is a constant struggle for me and now I am beginning to understand why my mom said that at times she longed for the days of graduate school. When I know we do not possibly have the means to acquire something I can be more content, but when it seems like we are able to have more, the list just keeps growing. I still want many things, but I also have decided I find satisfaction in actually living in a budget, so sometimes I tell myself we are still starving students and we can't afford all my wants. True we aren't starving, but if we ever want to save for that down-payment, we better be pretend to be once in awhile.

Callie said...

Oh, we're living the same life - just a hemisphere apart, sister dear! Now that we have a long term rental - it would be nice to have a love seat instead of a chair and a desk instead of putting the laptops on the table. ("Good" news for us is we still have no income - so splurges are at least manageable to control. I LOVE YOU!

Our Family said...

I so understand the want/need/really need scenario. We always have a list of items we are looking for. When we have extra income we evaluate the list and the sales and then we usually have something we have to have (stove, fridge, car etc..)break down and have to repair it. And so the list stays.