I know I've been popping back and forth quite a bit on the blog in terms of chronology. But hey, as long as we get there eventually!
On June 16th, Annika and I left early in the morning to drive to Colorado. Our Hermana Talia was still at home, so saying farewell was awful. But I already posted those pics, so let's just move on to happier moments.
Annika was headed to a five-day overnight camp at RoundUp River Ranch in Gypsum, Colorado. As part of the Serious Fun Children's Network founded by Paul Newman, this camp was created for kids with significant medical challenges. They have a ton of medical staff there to support all of the campers, so we knew Annika would be in great hands. Aside from the extensive medical check-in, RoundUp River Ranch functioned much like any other camp--horseback riding, fishing, hands-free spaghetti night, and lots of other silly fun. As it was heart week, all of Annika's bunkmates had heart conditions as well. I don't know how if she agrees, but I think it's pretty cool that she got to meet other heart kids just living life.
Thanks to AirBnb, I'd found a room in this old historic hotel in Silver Plume. It's definitely not fancy, but if you don't mind sharing a bathroom, the place has lots of charm with the slanted rickety stairs, antique furniture, etc.

The next morning I hiked the nearby Argentine Central trail and thought of our Talia.
Apparently the Windy City had been experiencing some excessive gusts (tornadoes?), resulting in an excessively late arrival. Still, I opted for an uber to the downtown hotel where my Mom and aunt were staying to enjoy a bed instead of crashing in the Frontier terminal. (Yes, I was flying Frontier. I'm all kinds of fancy.)
The next day dawned beautiful and bright. Nevermind the prior day's storms, Chicago pulled out all its charm. I connected with Callie and the Wells family and we headed to the Lincoln Park Zoo.
The lion exhibition had been recently redone. The big cats looked like they couldn't be more pleased.
Alesia looks happy too. And why not? There were giraffes. :)
Technically our AirBnB was located in Chicago's Ukrainian Village, but after heading out for a run I discovered it was very close to "Little Puerto Rico" as well.
I loved the murals!
Looking elegant, all.

Waiting for the big moment. Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Esposito!

Some of my favorite faces.
Dinner speeches and toasts. Isn't the table beautiful?
All the food was delicious as well. I love how it was served family-style.
Sneaking a pic of the happy couple.
Hey, here's the groom! Congratulations, Nick!
This clearly is not a very good picture of me (like seriously, what is going on?). Still, I wanted to share it because it has includes my cousin Alex and his awesome wife, Emily. Alex and Emily, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since we were celebrating your special day!
The live band was fantastic! They got everyone up and dancing. By the end of the night, the bride and groom were flying!
More than anything, I hope Kate and Nick went home feeling how very loved and supported they are by so very many. They are so gracious and generous with their love and support of others as well, including our family. We love you, Kate and Nick!

Waiting for the big moment. Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Esposito!

Now time to celebrate!
Cathy, Callie, Greg and Janet.
More than anything, I hope Kate and Nick went home feeling how very loved and supported they are by so very many. They are so gracious and generous with their love and support of others as well, including our family. We love you, Kate and Nick!
The next morning, Greg was king of the day. Happy birthday, Greg! How appropriate that our AirBnb should actually have a throne.
We sepent the morning at The Day After at the Brickhouse Tavern in Wrigleyville, adjacent to where the Cubs play. So fun!
While some of the group went to a Cubs game, we went to see Jeanette's original artwork at a couple clubs where she works. Remarkable! I wish you could see the detail up close. Jeanette attended the Chicago Art Instititue, so its pretty cool that some of her work is staying local. I wish you could see the detail in the champaign bubbles up close.
After that, we headed down to the river for an AIA architectural boat tour. This has been on my bucket list for years, so I was thrilled to finally have the opportunity.
While some of the group went to a Cubs game, we went to see Jeanette's original artwork at a couple clubs where she works. Remarkable! I wish you could see the detail up close. Jeanette attended the Chicago Art Instititue, so its pretty cool that some of her work is staying local. I wish you could see the detail in the champaign bubbles up close.
These murals are likewise fantastic.
I love how the foliage carries on to the ceiling.
Congratulations, Jeanette! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
It's amazing how seemingly impossible challenges can result in amazingly creative solutions, like building on this teeny tiny strip.
Greg, thanks for coming on your birthday!
Chicago celebrated in your honor.
I learned that this wavy building doesn't actually have any curved glass--crazy!
Happy smiles all around.
Now in the words of Papa Kay, Bye Bye! (And Keep Smiling.)
Thanks, Chicago.



























































































No comments:
Post a Comment