Thursday, September 10, 2026

Hermana Talia: Capítulos 3-14

Since the last post chronicled Talia's two weeks of MTC chez les Wheelers, we'll consider that tome to be chapters 1 and 2. This post begins with the first messages Talia emailed, starting with Capítulo 3 up through the beautiful message she sent last Monday. Our Hermana Wheeler sends such beautiful and detailed messages home! Reading them helps me feel so connected, It's obvious that she has been working so hard and touching the lives of so many in Argentina. Talia, we love you!

June 18, 2026
Capítulo 3: no place like home mtc

Hello all!
Sister Wheeler reporting here for my first (slightly late) email. If you're on this email list but would rather not have your inbox filled with my thoughts, please shoot me an email. Well, a whole lot has happened over the past couple weeks. I was set apart the evening of June 2nd before starting home MTC the next day. I've had typically seven to eight hours of zoom meetings each day, split between learning to teach and language study. Let me tell you, my back misses when I was sitting for less hours of the day. Classes have been good though, I've loved learning about asking inspired questions. I hope speaking Spanish will become easier and more connected with practice.

Home MTC is great for some reasons and really hard for some reasons. On the upside, leaving to Mexico City today was a lot easier knowing some familiar faces on my flight. I'm really excited to get to know my district in-person. On the other hand, I found home MTC pretty challenging at points. It is harder to stay accountable when you are one foot out the door, without fully being gone.

So, today I left for the Mexico MTC, where I'll stay for nearly a month going to Argentina mid-July. Saying goodbye to family and friends was really hard and it's scary to come to a foreign place knowing I won't be back to Utah for a long time. But it's been good to meet my district and I'm excited for classes to start tomorrow. A scripture that has stuck out to me this week is Helaman 5:12 which talks about building your rock on your Savior Jesus Christ and your Redeemer. I know that when we center our lives on Him and strive to follow His example, He will direct us and we will receive His peace.
I hope everyone has the best week! Please email me, I love hearing from you all!

Best,
Sister Wheeler


June 26, 2026
Capítulo 4: No Pillow Parties

Hey fine folks and fellows,

How is everyone? This week has been A LOT. Like unimaginably busy and lots of emotions but also a good amount of fun. The CCM certainly keeps missionaries busy. Even in the last week, I feel like I've learned loads here.

Ok so here's the rundown: I arrived Thursday, which was a crazy day between traveling and getting settled and welcome stuff. Since then, most days look like personal study for an hour in the morning before eating breakfast. Despite what most people say, the food here isn't that bad. It's your typical cafeteria food but I haven't gotten sick yet (knock on wood). And the tacos are pretty yummy. Then it's a three-hour Preach My Gospel class, where we learn gospel principles and practice teaching. We have gym time before lunch. And then another three-hour language class to practice spanish. I'm in an intermedio-alto district, meaning our Spanish is "intermediate plus plus", according to one of our teachers. My district consists of my companion, Hermana Rolfson, and I, along with eight other girls. They are phenomenal. It has been so incredible to learn from their examples and hear their testimonies and be taught by them. I think there is something special about having a district with only Hermanas. Then we have dinner and language and companionship study. Twice a week, there are devotionals in the evening and a district debrief. And then it's back to our casa (our house) and get ready for bed.

Highlights of the week:
In our welcome devotional, the sister speaking said: "No welcome parties. No pillow parties. No parties today. No parties tomorrow. No parties your last week. No parties". Guess no parties in the CCM, tragically.

Our branch is only our district at the moment because it's newly created. That means it's only hermanas in our district. Last Sunday, the President of the CCM, Presidente Ruiz and Sister Ruiz came to our sacrament meeting. Meaning our branch president and councelor blessed the sacrament, and President Ruiz passed us the sacrament. Although then I was called on to speak, soooo...

Our language teacher, Hermano Zapata, is Mexican and has never visited the US. The other day, we were guessing the price of fruits in class. One hermana whispered to another: "con accento!" and we started speaking in American accents. The whole class was dying of laughter. After a couple minutes, Hno Zapata said in the best American accent: "ehn el soopermercahdo" and everybody lost it. One of the hermanas thought he said "yo soy super-americano" and now we say it a little too much.

In a service project this week, we were stuffing blankets into bags to distribute to the casas. We had to very precisely count to 13 pairs of blankets in each canvas bag. Task difficulty: extremely difficult. There were four of us working on it at a time and counting. I think we lost count like four times and had to de-stuff and re-stuff the bags. And then we folded towels and the man directing us said: "es perfecto, pero es feo". Meaning "it's perfect, but it's ugly". Yepp sounds about right.

Stats of this week:
Number of times my tide pen was used: 11 (my record was spilling on dress four times in one day)
Amount of cereal eaten: too much. Mostly an unhealthy amount of fruit loops.
Enemies made: 1 (just joking, although the Brother at the receptionist desk was certainly tired of seeing Hna Rolfson and I after the fifth time we visited).

What I'm grateful for:
Ladybugs
My family
My district (they are THE BEST)
The houses on the mountains
Sticky notes

Ok last thoughts: we went to a devotional broadcasted with President Uchdorf this week. He talked about focusing on what we can control: our thoughts, our feelings, and our actions. I love the idea of being intentional with our time. He also talked about repentance and how it's more than choosing to change. Rather, it's turning to God and Jesus Christ and letting them change your hearts and your desires. I love the love that we can feel from our Savior. I know he loves you and knows you all individually.

I hope everyone has an incredible week. I love hearing from everyone, thank you for the emails!!

As many regards as there are mosquitoes here,
Hermana Wheeler






July 3, 2026
Captítulo 5: word, I mean palabra

Hello all!
How is everyone this week? My incredible email title is a quote from a sister in my district. This week, we started "solo español", meaning we are only speaking Spanish in hopes to prepare a little better for the field. So it involves a lot of Spanglish, hence the title.

So what's been up with me? This week has looked mostly like classes and devotionals and studying and such. It's been good but also a lot. To give an idea, we always start classes with a prayer and then reciting the missionary purpose. One hermana offered the prayer and then I stood up and tried to say another prayer instead of the purpose. Safe to say, sometimes my brain feels a little fried haha. Today, I was able to go to the Mexico City temple, which was absolutely gorgeous. We helped out in the laundry room then did baptisms and confirmations for the dead. It was amazing to see the temple and the visitor's center too. Otherwise this week has been good. It's involved even more unhealthy amounts of fruit loops and nutella packets, huge pregnant spiders, learning how to fold a fitted sheet, and acts of service in my district. Plus, it's been fun to be in Mexico during the world cup. When they won the match against Ecuador, we could hear all the fireworks and singing in the streets.

Highlights from this week:
In one class, we learned how we should respond to bible bashers. Our teacher was role-playing with a sister, and asked her if she knew what a specific scripture said. Hna Rolfson then asked: "if I don't know the verse, can I respond with well do you know what John 2:16 says" and our district burst out laughing.

We listened to a devotional from Sister and Elder Kearon. What stuck most out to me from their messages was talking about the joy of missionary work. Sometimes, it's easy to get caught up in all the details that go into sharing the gospel. But really, it is such a gift and a joy to learn about Jesus Christ and share the joy He brings to others. Elder Kearon said, if you're missing the joy, you're missing the point. And I think that's really so true.

There's been a little confusion between when to use "por" y "para" this week. When we were practicing in class, an hermana was trying to remember which to use and I whispered over "it starts with a p" which at least I thought was funny.

One of the hermanas in my room is a convert to the church. This week, the other sisters and I took it upon ourselves to teach her the girls camp songs she missed out on (some of them are, erm... interesting to say the least). This sister says she's glad she's been introduced to church history.

It has rained and hailed and stormed lots this week. June through August are the rainy months in Mexico City and it's pretty evident. In the mornings it's a little chili, then the sun comes out before it storms in the afternoon. During breaks in our classes, we sometimes people watch the people in the rain. Two times now, Elders have ran over with umbrellas to help us cross to the cafeteria. And then we have to tell them we still have an hour of class... oh well, it was a nice thought.

Quotes from this week:

"Cats eat their owners when they die", "That's not something I take into consideration when getting a pet" -Hna Johnson and Hna Grandil
"He's a little reptillian for my taste" -overheard on the street
"I thought I looked like sleeping beauty but turns out I look like a corpse" -Hna Heiss
"How am I supposed to talk to girls if I can't flirt with them?" -also overheard on the street

Gratefuls:

-an hour set aside for personal study
-getting my plane ticket to Argentina
-the temple
-Hna Martinez for making my bed
-familiar faces from college this week
-ping pong
-Jesus Christ and his atonement

Last thoughts:

In my language class this week, we practiced finding people and then sharing a short message and inviting them to pray. We walked around the CCM with our teacher, and she sent us to talk to workers here. Granted, they were working and walking so she sent us running after them. Me and Hna Rolfson quite literally ran over to talk to a man taking out the trash. Talking to so many people is definitely outside of my comfort zone. But also I feel I am learning so much right now. It reminded me of a story from the Book of Mormon about a woman named Abish. Abish was a servant to the Lamanite queen. At some point, the missionary Ammon ministered to the Lamanites and taught the King and Queen about the gospel. Abish, after learning about Jesus Christ, ran house to house to share what had happened. Gospel, literally translated, means good news. Seeing my district running after people to share a message felt a little like watching Abish. But really, that's how important the gospel is-- the joy that Jesus Christ brings is of enough worth to run around and share it.

Sincerely tired,
Hermana Wheeler






July 10th
Captítulo 6: Happy gringo day

Hello everybody and welcome to this week's story time!

I hope everyone is doing well and has had a week filled with more fruit loops than mine. Tragically, the cafeteria ran out of fruit loops and they've yet to restock... It's been rough to say the least. Jokes aside, I hope you all are doing so good! Thank you for the sweet messages, they have made my days.

This week was my last full week at the CCM. Early Tuesday morning I will be on a plane Buenos Aires bound. I've been told once I arrive in Argentina I will get my tickets to Santa Fe, hopefully I won't be stranded in the airport there. This week has been good! Mostly, it's been filled with lots of classes and Spanish practice. I've discovered my new favorite snack: banana with nutella. Whatever I've lacked in fruit loops I've made up with nutella (I swear sometimes I chose healthy food options too). Our district has discovered nine-square, which has been fun even with those of us who are vertically challenged.

Happy fourth of July from Mexico! We celebrated with lots and lots of food. The cafeteria put on lunch with hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, watermelon, mac'n'cheese, cupcakes, and root beer. One of the workers grabbed a microphone and said: "Feliz día de independencia, or as we like to say it, happy gringo day!!". And everyone in the cafeteria went on to sing the star spangled banner. Honestly that was pretty much it. And one Elder took maybe 15 cans of root beer and is still bringing them to meals.

Our district has been putting together a musical number of "Placentera nos es Trabajar". It’s a well loved hymn in latin america. I finally broke out my violin and Hna Grandil and I played a duet together. It was really fun to play with her, I definitely miss playing in an orchestra. Plus, I think we're singing/playing at devo this Sunday!

Quotes:
-"Me gusta su accordian" -Hna Martinez to a sister playing harmonica
"Do you want get baptized?", "uh no", "oh sorry, that's not in my script" -Hna Johnson
-"Did I see violence?" -member of the presidency to our district
-"My goal is to get married by the time I graduate high school" -Hna Solmes
-"Podemos ser limpios de nuestros pescados". "Elder, that means fish" -Hna Martinez
-"Kylo Ren is my space Mr Darcy" -Hna Martinez

Most common mistake this week:
It's a tie between being incapable of using the "usted" (you formal) form and saying "buenos días" at any given time of the day.

Gratefuls:
-prayer
-taco cat goat cheese pizza
-lots of advil
-the names of Christ
-my companion!!! (Hna Rolfson you are literally the best)
-choir practice
-workers at the cafeteria
-is it bad to say nutella...?

Spiritual thought:
Hna Rolfson and I were able to go to a study skills session this week. We spent an hour diving into Ether 12:27 (and I spent personal study thr next day looking at it too). It says: "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them". I looked at the idea of grace being the enabling power and spiritual healing of Christ through his Atonement. Preach my Gospel says: "Although we are imperfect and may fall short again, there is more grace, love, and mercy in Jesus Christ than there is failure, flaw, or sin in us". How incredible is it that our Savior's love extends beyond our own flaws. If we turn to Him, He is ready to welcome us with open arms. He meets us where we're at and lifts us up to become more like Him.

I hope everyone is doing well, I miss you all! Don't forget to pray ok? Have the absolutely best week!! This is Hermana Wheeler, over and out from the CCM. See you all from Argentina next week :)

As many regards as nutella packets I've eaten this week,
Hermana Wheeler







July 20th
Capítulo 7: Santaaaaa fe

Hello all!
Drumroll please..... Santaaa feee, are you there? Do you swear you won't forget me

Buckle in brothers and sisters because there is a story to tell this week. This will probably be an abnoxiously long email so you can always hit the little trash icon at the top of your screen to avoid the headache ;)

Guess what? I made it to Argentina, believe it or not. It was an adventure getting here: 3 suitcases, a backpack, 130 lbs to drag around, 4.5 hours of sleep in two days, and many prayers. Timeline: meet at the bus at 4am, drive to the airport for a 9am flight. Fly for 9.5 hours to Buenos Aires, wait at the airport for more missionaries before driving to the hotel and getting there at 12am. Meet at 3:30am to go to the airport and arrive in Santa Fe about 9am. Meetings, interviews, paperwork, lunch, meet your trainer then get in another van for 6 hours to get to your area at 10pm. Phew.

I am in Reconquista! It is in the northern part of the mission and a beautiful area. Lots of campos (fields) and very tranquilo. My comp and I are serving in the pueblos in the outskirts. The work is amazing. The people are incredible. It is so cool to see their faith and their willingness to learn. Even if they aren't that interested in the church, generally everyone is willing to talk and hear what we have to share.

Highlights:
-playing in the last CCM devotional with my district (shoutout to Hna Grandil for playing the violin with me)

-the CCM restocked the fruit loops right before I left (ok ok I swear this is the last about fruit loops)

-the last devotional focused on going and doing and growing. Choose to trust in the Lord enough to take the first steps even when you are unprepared because he's got you.

-meeting my trainer! Her name is Hna Baker from Colorado and she is the sweetest person you will ever meet. She is so kind and patient and works really diligently and I have already learned so much from her.

-being introduced to all things Argentina. Matte, alfajors, gridos ice cream, making empanadas, choco torta, tortas fritas, you name it.

-meeting Edguardo! He is a facebook reference and he is super super willing to learn and keep commitments. It's clear to see how God has prepared people to hear the gospel.

Gratefuls:
-my trainer!!!!
-no overweight luggage
-miracles every day
-the power of priesthood blessings
-prayers
-my family (love you all!)
-the world cup in Argentina!!

If you need a laugh:
It stormed Saturday night, meaning the streets were mud when Hna Baker and I went to knock on doors to bring people to church Sunday morning. There isn't a great water drainage system in Reconquista meaning lots of puddles and lakes sometimes. We had to cross a street where there was a ditch filled with water. Obviously we decided to jump it... I'm guessing you can see where this is going. Hna Baker made it across just fine. I was couple inches short and slipped and fell on my face in the mud. Let me tell you, I had some great first impressions speaking in sacrament meeting. Lesson learned: no parkour on the mission.

Spiritual thought:

The mission is really cool. Our mission is abbreviated to MasFe (mission Argentina Santa Fe), which in Spanish means more faith. The mission leaders talked about how the mission is a mission of joy. It is meant to be filled with joy because we are inviting others to come unto Christ. There is so much joy found in talking and sharing about Christ in every moment. I have learned and grown so much this week, about understanding prayer and how to invite the spirit and how to be a missionary. The CCM was helpful but nothing is a better teacher than just diving into the work. I've learned so much from being here and learning to live the message I teach.

Thank you for the emails!! I adore reading them and they make me so happy. I am so sorry for everyone I've yet to respond to but know I really appreciate them! Sending all my love from Argentina!

As many regards as people I've said hi to this week (it's a lot),
Hermana Wheeler




July 27th
Capítulo 8: Ciao Gris

Hola a todos!

Fasten your seatbelts and please keep your arms inside the cart at all time because this week has been a rollercoaster to say the least.

It's been a week of firsts. 

First time:
-eating a kilo tub of grido ice cream by myself
-extending a baptismal invitation
-first baile/dance: that's what they call first baptisms here
-giving a discurso in sacrament meeting
-first time my comp got a heart necklace from a convert..... idk about this one
-making empanadas
-getting caught in the middle of a bible bashing session
-being handed a bag of 10 grapefruits when someone didn't want to hear our message

I have seen so many miracles this week and ways that God's hand has been involved in the work. Being a missionary is hard and easy. The work is really hard, talking to so many people is hard, leaving home is hard. But in other ways, it's easy because of how present God is. It's easy when you see the miracles and see your friends gain testimonies of what you are teaching.

One miracle this week was Omar's baptism. It's been special to see his progression and be there to teach him so much the last two weeks. He has such a strong desire to follow Christ and put God first in his life. He got baptized this Sunday. It was so special to see his smile coming out of the water and it made me remember that this is a gospel of joy.

Edgardo was another miracle this week. He has a crazy strong desire to turn his life around and follow his Savior. This week, he agreed to be baptized. He is working to quit smoking and I so admire how much he is willing to give up to follow God.

Quotes:
"Ciao gris" -Hermana Baker
Only one quote this week but we've said it enough times to make it count as a weeks worth. Ciao means bye. Every week, we gris (grey) friends on the Preach my Gospel app who aren't interested or aren't progressing. So Hermana Baker says ciao gris at any oportune moment. I didn't explain this well but moral of the story is that it's funny :)

Gratefuls:

-Preach my Gospel
-running with Hna Baker and talking all things cross country
-personal study every morning
-a working shower (it was struggling earlier this week)
-Argentinan bread
-pday volleyball with the district

Spiritual thought:

This week I read Lifted Up Upon the Cross, by Elder Holland from October 2022. Here, Elder Holland talks about what it means to be a disciple of Christ. He says it better than I can, so here are his words:

"To be a follower of Jesus Christ, one must sometimes carry a burden—your own or someone else’s—and go where sacrifice is required and suffering is inevitable. A true Christian cannot follow the Master only in those matters with which he or she agrees. No. We follow Him everywhere, including, if necessary, into arenas filled with tears and trouble, where sometimes we may stand very much alone...

As we take up our crosses and follow Him, it would be tragic indeed if the weight of our challenges did not make us more empathetic for and more attentive to the burdens being carried by others. It is one of the most powerful paradoxes of the Crucifixion that the arms of the Savior were stretched wide open and then nailed there, unwittingly but accurately portraying that every man, woman, and child in the entire human family is not only welcome but invited into His redeeming, exalting embrace".

I hope everyone has an absolutely incredible week. Know that someone from Argentina is sending you all their love!

Ciao (gris),
Hermana Wheeler








August 3rd
Capítulo 9: Horses and buffalo

Hello all!

I have no creative introductions this week. I hope everyone is alive and well. This week was a little crazy. Consisting of divisions (exchanges), multizone conference, and zone p-day, it was all go go go.

Last week, we found Tomas, a friend who lives outisde of our area. We invited him to church anyways (because we pretty much invite everyone to church). And he showed up! He biked probably 40 minutes to come. We asked if we could pass his contact to the Elders. This week they extended a fecha (baptismal date) to him and he is 22 chapters into the Book of Mormon. What a capo. I am so excited to see where he goes.

We talked with a convert this week named Fabio. He is the most Argentinian person I've ever met. After teaching him outside with the sun setting, he called over his maybe 15 horses. It was the best thing ever.

Ok, this week I've decided to tell you about the highlights, lowlights, and buffalo of this week. Buffalo being something random (I didn’t make it up, blame someone else)

Highlights:
-drinking matte from a grapefruit
-multizone conference!! It was so good to see everyone and feel the spirit with all the missionaries gathered together. President and Hermana Lattaro are absolutely incredible
-eating giso with members (basically really yummy soup)
-discovering gula alfajors

Lowlights:
-Hermana Baker killed a butterfly
-running to the church with a case of Book of Mormons
-our friend Maite didn't come to church this week

Buffalo:
-signing the wall of a bakery
-I was told I have boring eyelashes
-being called every version of gringa and rubia
-a dog I named wobbles followed me and Hna Baker around all day, she even waited the two hours during church to keep wobbling after us

Spiritual thought:
One of my favorite hymns is called Come Unto Jesus. Here are lyrics from a couple of verses of the song:

Come unto Jesus, ye heavy laden,
Careworn and fainting, by sin oppressed.
He’ll safely guide you unto that haven
Where all who trust him may rest.

Come unto Jesus from ev’ry nation,
From ev’ry land and isle of the sea.
Unto the high and lowly in station,
Ever he calls, “Come to me.”

I love this invitation to come unto Christ. We are always given this invitation, Jesus always has his arms wide open to welcome us back to him. There is peace and hope and rest found in Jesus. Through the easy times and through the challenges, Christ is there. Pray to Him and put Him as the center of your life and you will find His peace.

Love you all! Have the most incredible week!!

Hermana Wheeler




August 10th
Capítulo 10: God is good

Mi querida familia y amigos!

How is everyone? I hope you all are absolutely fabulous. This week was a little insane and lleno de milagros (full of miracles).

First off, Hermana Magdalany and I survived exchanges!! We both came in last transfer, and our trainers are both hermana capacitadoras. Which means that when there are exchanges with the other sisters, Hermana Magdalany and I get to figure it out together. It's like the blind leading the blind. Jokes aside, it was really good! Hermana Magdalany is such a Christlike missionary. Plus we never missed the bus so I call it a success.

We extended three fechas on first contacts this week (which is absolutely insane). Madelaine, Joana, and Naiara all happen to be 19. Our lessons with them have been so full of the spirit. It was so clear to see how God has been preparing people for us to teach. And walking out of lessons, really Hermana Baker and I have done very little. We share the words, but the spirit teaches and testifies of what we say. I love the desire these girls have to grow a stronger relationship with God.

Maite got baptized this Sunday!! It was so special to see her take this step to follow the example that Christ sets for us. I was grinning silly in church between Maite's baptism and our other friends who came. God is good and His work is good.

Everything else from this week:
-empanadas!! I love member meals
-faceplanting while running
-disney karaoke minus the music in the streets
-lots of walking and lots of blisters
-I was gifted a scarf :)
-my diet consists mainly of oats, ice cream, and member meals
-found a track with Hna Baker and we ran around it this morning and ate factudos after
-I caught a baby lizard

Spiritual thought:

This week I have learned a lot about the principle of faith. In trying to help our friend Edgardo in his efforts to stop smoking, we've talked a lot about faith. Faith is believing in something that you can't see. But more than that, faith means acting. We've talked so much about acting with our hands this week. Have a desire to believe and then act on this belief. God will magnify your efforts. Good things require work, and when you put in the work, God will bless you. It's easy to see the differences between the lives of people here who are taking the steps to follow Christ. So my invitation for everyone is to act with your hands. Take the time to pray and read the scriptures and serve the people around you and strengthen your relationship with God. When we act, God will take our efforts, however inadequate, and make them so much greater.

Gratefuls:
-lessons with members
-empanadas (obviously)
-pink tree blossoms
-the Book of Mormon
-being taught by the spirit
-good music

As always, have the most incredible week! Full of empanadas preferably. Remember to take the time to do the small and simple things. God is good.

I bid you all adieu until next Monday,
Hermana Wheeler






August 17th
Capítulo 11: onions and prayers

To my fabulous friends and family,

Low and behold, Monday has arrived again and almost as sure as the rising sun, my email has arrived with it. I hope everyone had a week filled with good friends and good food and God's love.

This week was like an onion. Something to know about me is I cannot chop onions without crying a lot. But also some sacrifices must be made because good sautéed onions make a meal. Moral of the story is there were lots of tears this week but also it was cool to see the miracles. Can you tell why I'm not an English major with these incredible analogies?

We visited a recent convert family with the elders. Elder Hulse, my district leader, was able to come because the elders had divisions. It was a special lesson because he taught and baptized them months earlier. He's going home in a couple weeks so he gave his suit to the oldest son, who wants to serve a mission soon. It's been special to see just how much the lives of this family have been changed because of the gospel.

We put together an activity Tuesday to paint Book of Mormons with our three fechitas and a member and a convert. We all happen to be 19 and chicas so it was a whole party, complete with pancakes and facturas. I loved helping connect the girls.

I thought introducing the girls was the miracle, but here's where it gets really cool. One of the girls, Madelaine, left her Book of Mormon at the church to dry. We had shown her the gospel library app and told her we would bring it back for our next lesson. While we were gone, she really wanted to read but her phone broke. So she went and bought a Book of Mormon!!!! I don't even know where you could buy one in Reconquista. Talking to Madelaine, she said she had been praying the night before we met her for a sign from God to know which way she should take her life. And we met her and she found this book and it is such a blessing to see how her testimony is growing about how God knows her and loves her and the how the Book of Mormon is true.

Edgardo this week told us he doesn't want to come back to church, and that he feels really torn going both to this church and another one. We had a charla franca with him, where we told him more about our purpose as missionaries and that we have other friends and couldn't pass by as much if he doesn’t want to keep commitments. He ended up coming to church, so I'm not sure what it'll look moving forward. But I do know that he has a lot of faith and a strong desire put Christ first in his life. Even if he doesn't end up progressing right now, I know God still has a plan for him.

Honorable and unhonorable mentions:
-making tacos and torta frita with Hna Baker
-it didn't rain before church even though the forecast said otherwise (yayyy!)
-I'm not qualified to teach English
-visiting an inactive member is going through a really hard time and being there to offer hugs
-pistaccio ice cream
-someone filmed a tiktok of me through a window and it had 122k likes so I guess I'm famous

Spiritual thought:
I want to talk about prayer today. As a missionary, I pray a lot. We pray together as a companionship and individually as the first thing we do when we wake up and the last thing before we sleep. We pray before and after personal, language, and companionship study. We pray when we leave our apartment and when we get back. We pray in lessons, we pray with strangers we just met, we pray in the streets. Almost always, we pray on our knees.

So the question is, why? Why does it matter to pray so much? Why do we spend so much time praying every day? Of course, I could offer lots of answers about how it invites the spirit or how it shows God our appreciation or the way we recieve answers to our prayers. For me this week, I've been thinking a lot about how it's through prayer we can grow our relationship with God. In growing any kind of relationship, you have to talk to the person. When we pray, we get to talk to God. And I know that God listens to our prayers. When we pray, even when at times it feels like no one is listening, God really does hear us and love us and answer our prayers.

Alma 33: 7-8 says:
"7 And when I did turn unto my closet, O Lord, thou didst hear me.
8 Yea, thou art merciful unto thy children when they cry unto thee, to be heard of thee and not of men, and thou wilt hear them".

Have the most incredible week!! Remember to pray. Don't forget how much Heavenly Father loves you :)

Until next week,
Hermana Wheeler





August 24th
Capítulo 12: baptisms, alfajores, and mud

Hola a todos!

I hope that everyone in the northern hemisphere is enjoying the sun and the end of summer. Happy back to school/back to college/never left work. You are all the best and I absolutely adore the emails that come my way. I am sincerely sorry to everyone I've yet to reply to but your emails are so appreciated.

This week has been a long week and I feel dead exhausted. But it was a good week too. I've been in Argentina for six weeks which means that yesterday we recieved transfer news. Drumroll please.... I am going to........ stay in Reconquista with Hermana Baker!! Which will be actually incredible because she is so so amazing and we have seen milagros in this area. And I am so excited to see my friends keep progressing. My time-management skills have failed me, so here is the abbreviated version of my week:

Highlights, lowlights, buffalos, and everything in between:
-Naiara and Joana got baptized!
-lots of rain and even more mud
-the sun came out in time for Sunday :)
-emergency transfers for sisters in my area meant lots of helping clean and pack
-more empanadas
-painting Book of Mormon
-we found a dog the size of a cow
-mini rasta alfajores are peak

I hope everyone enjoyed this bite-sized email. Remember that God loves you and is very aware of you. Sometimes our ability to feel God's love for us changes, but God's love for us never changes. I know that God loves you all individually and He is there for you in the good times and the bad times. I love you all, but God loves you more. Have an amazing week and remember there is someone in Argentina thinking of you all.

Best,
Hermana Wheeler





Capítulo 13: another day in the life
Mon, Aug 31st

Hola mi querido familia y amigos!!

How are you all! Welcoming to the "too long, didn't read" re-cap of my week. Also known as I have roughly five minutes to write this email because I have amazing time-management skills. If anyone wants to hear my excuses, it's been a crazy week plus it was zone p-day today.

Anyways, WHAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK:
-member meal included eating a cow heart
-Santino came to church by himself! (he is a capo and his baptism is next week)
-we set another baptismal date with Madelaine for this Sunday but she didn't come
-zone p-day with volleyball
-running 20 minutes home after eating three milanesas (giant chicken nuggets) and mashed potatoes
-being a trio for three days and sleeping on the floor
-destroyed my screen protector
-we got the signature from Santino's mom to let him be baptized!
-calling Hermana Baker's old seminary class

I know that God loves you all. I love 1 Nephi 21:16, which says, "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me". One day, we will all be able to live again because Jesus died for us and rose again too. We will all be resurrected to perfect bodies, but Jesus Christ will still have the marks on his hands from where he was nailed to the cross. This is how much he loves you. He loves you enough to feel everything you will ever experience so he can help you become so much better than you ever could on your own. Jesus loves you so so much! I love you all too!

All my best,
Hermana Wheeler



September 7th
Capítulo 14: una semana lleno de Santinos

Hola hola mi friends and family!

How is everyone doing? How is September and the cooler temperatures treating you all? August slipped away into a moment in time... I am extremely jealous of the Northern hemisphere with fall around the corner. It's another week and another Monday and hence another email from me.

Week fourteen means that I'm now three months into the mission. Hermana Baker and I share the same "cumple-mez", meaning we both started the mission on the third of the month. So on September 3rd, I made it three months and Hna Baker ten months.

Highlights from this week are definitely the Santinos. Sunday, Santino Ramos and Santino Martinez were baptized (with Santino Parera giving a talk). Bonus fun fact: all the Santinos are either 11 or 12. Un día lleno de Santinos. One of which, Santino Ramos, has been waiting a while to be baptized. When I first arrived in the area, we helped his brother to be baptized. He wanted to make this choice to follow the example of Jesus too. But his mom thought he was too young to make this choice for himself. We continued passing by and helping them read the Book of Mormon together and eventually his mom decided that, if this was what he really wanted, he could be baptized. It was incredible to see his ear-to-ear grin when he got out of the water. He is an incredible example to me of how this is the gospel of joy, el evangelio de gozo.

Hermana Baker and Hermana Macedo (the two sister training leaders) went to mission leadership conference this week, meaning Hermana Magdalany and I worked together for a couple of days. It also meant that our comps organized a competition behind our backs. Whichever companionship had the most number of lessons through the week got to pie the other companionship with whipped cream in the face. So all through the week, Hna Baker and I have been running between lessons, teaching as many people as we possibly can. Literally running, in many cases, if anyone is interested. I was clueless to the schemings between the hermanas but it's kind of hard to miss the running. We had 77 lessons this week in case anyone was wondering. And so today Hermana Baker bought whipped cream and we pie'd the sisters and all got covered in a whole lot of whipped cream.

Somthing I've learned this week is about how imperfect we all are. Coming to this earth, we all mess up, we all sin, we all fall short, and one day, we will all die. By ourselves, we have no way to overcome these shortcomings that prevent us from one day living with God again. But Jesus Christ is our Savior. He is our perfect Savior who is central in God's plan, the only one who can redeem us from death and sin. Every time I teach the plan of salvation, I always start with Jesus, because it is only through Him this plan is possible. Because Jesus suffered forour sins in Gethsemane anddied on the cross then rose the thrid day, we will all live again. There is so much hope that comes from this knowledge, from knowing we are redeemed from death by our Savior.
 
2 Nephi 2:6-8 says:
"6 Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he is full of grace and truth.

7 Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.

8 Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise."

I would invite everyone to read 2 Nephi 2 this week. There is so much we can learn about the Atonement and God's plan for us from this chapter. I love how these verses teach us that none of us can be saved "save it be thorugh the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah". It is only through Jesus Christ where we can find this hope to achieve real change in our lives.

I love you all! And thank you for all the emails... I continue to be fairly bad at responding in a timely fashion for which I'm sorry. But rest assured they make me smile and your words are so appreciated. Have the most amazing week and remember that God loves you!

Ciao!
Hermana Wheeler




No comments: