Sunday, September 27, 2026

Backpacking in the High Uintas

At the very end of June, Jason took a group of Young Men from our stake backpacking up in the Uintas to Deadhorse Lake. I wasn't there, but I have seen the photos. In picures alone, it's clear that this was an incredible and transformative experience for these youth. Jason, I'm so glad that they have you to lead them on these high adventure outings. Our friend Daniel Thomas was planning to take them but had to change tack after a sailing injury; Jason stepped in last minute. What can I say? I've got a great hubby.

I'm not going to add much commentary about their trip, aside from the fact that it was very remote. The trail was poorly developed at times, so it was pretty challenging climbing over lots of logs and crossing the stream at multiple places. They also only passed two other groups the whole time they were gone. In total, the group packed 11 miles in, went for a day hike of about 8 miles the following day, then packed out. Not too shabby for city-dwellers!















Love these boys ever so much!







I'm just gonna say, I think the struggle with their packs was worth it.




Way to go, Young Men! With Scouting no longer part of our church youth programs, I'm glad you could adventure together. And to all the Young Women out there, I know that my husband is eager to adventure with you too.

No comments: