Thursday, January 04, 2024

Hawaii Day 5: Manoa Falls and Hanauma Bay

Hawai'i Day 5!  We're getting close to the end of this photo journey.

In the morning we hiked the Manoa Falls Trail.  An easy hike that is only 1.5 miles round trip, it provided a nice chill start to the day.


Annika still looks sleepy.   But hey, Talia's awake and interested in something!


I love the tall, lush tree canopy!

Even though we couldn't get super close, the falls were impressive.  Located just outside Honolulu, they provide plenty of bang for your buck.


Around noon, we headed to Hanauma Bay.  Highly recommended by our wish ambassador, this state park has some of the best snorkeling in Hawaii.  Just be sure to make a reservation--slots fill quite quickly and the nature preserve isn't open every day.  The bay is actually formed from the crater of an extinct volcano.    While you can't see it fully from this angle, it's surrounded by land on three sides and filled with coral reefs.

I never expected to enjoy snorkeling so much!  I struggled to get my camera to take pictures from the underwater pouch, but if I had, there would be hundreds of shots.  I was completely blown away by both the quantity and wide variety of colorful fish!  It felt like I was swimming through an aquarium.




Annika was most excited to see a parrotfish chomping on pebbles.  Snorkeling was a little scary for her, but she did great.  I'd love to come back again after she's become a more confident swimmer.


Of course, playing with friends on the beach is just as much fun as spying on fish in the water.  This second little mermaid happened to be from Utah as well.


Much to my chagrin, Annika decided that she was bringing the beach back home in her pony tail.

More photos of my favorite people.




We desperately needed a mer-man.


Before leaving, Annika got to choose a souvenir.  Anyone surprised by the seahorse stuffie?  It was pretty darn cute.

Thanks for snorkeling with me, amor!  I hope that in years to come we get to explore more reefs together.

As always, thank you Make-a-Wish for another dream day come true.

No comments: