Thursday, October 22, 2020

Autumn Leaves

Believe it or not, I haven't kept all of the hiking joy to myself (although sometimes my children wish I would.)  Here are a few of the adventures we have been on together.

The Living Room.  Eli and I hiked this together one Friday since he didn't have in-person school.  Up above Red Butte Gardens, the trail was steeper than he remembered from last time.  We also didn't hang out on the makeshift furniture since another family was there, but it was still good bonding time with beautiful leaves.


Alpine Loop.  For Brooklyn and Talia, their asynchronous learning day is Wednesday, with the exception of one concurrent enrollment math class.  A couple of Wednesdays ago I talked Brooklyn into skipping her math class so we could head down to American Fork Canyon together.  (Not to worry--classes are recorded, so she can make it up later.)

Instead of tackling a strenuous hike, wewandered down the road by Little Mill campground, just to the side of the alpine loop.  So peaceful.  And the colors!


Leaves as sparkly as alicorn poop.  (Anyone get the reference?  My kids are obsessed with KOTLC at the moment.)

The scene was so idyllic that we nearly came back to camp over our Fall break.


Sliding Rock.  I don't recommend sliding all the way down unless you want a hole in your trousers.

Talia tackles the climb.

Gosh, I love these girls!


Green Pond Trail.  On a different Friday, we met up with Aunt Briana, Ruby, and Grandma Susie to hike the Green Pond Trail, not far from Snowbird near Huntsville.

Annika and Ruby were on a mission to find grasshoppers.  Eli was kind enough to tote along the grasshopper cage.


I know I've said it before, but I adore fall!


Green Pond was pretty, but likely more full in years that aren't so dry.  Utah desperately needs rain.  Or snow.  Jason is partial to snow.


Perfect place for a picnic.



Annka and Ruby made the cutest little seesaw out of this woodpile.

According to my children, hikes are best when topped off with a sweet treat.  The Cannery Creamery in Ogden has such fun flavors, like this Witches Brew, turned black by charcoal.

The best treat of all?  Annika came home with a new grasshopper, Hopscotch, to keep Catapult company.  

Unbeknownst to me, Annika snuck Catapult home from school one day.  She keeps the two insects in separate cages since learning of grasshoppers' cannibalistic tendencies.  And yes, Catapult really does ride around on her shoulder like that.  Our family is a little weird. 
I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colors; Beautiful people; Beautiful scenery; Beautiful day ... Bye, Bye for now!