Monday, October 19, 2020

Hiking Tuesdays: Timpanogos

A week after summiting Pfeifferhorn, I tackled Mount Timpanogos from the Aspen Grove side.  While Timp is a longer hike with more elevation gain, it's far less technical, plus I'd hiked it before so I was feeling pretty comfortable. 

Guess I shouldn't have been so cocky!  The changing leaves were so brilliant that I stopped paying attention and missed a turn within the first half mile.  In the end, this added an extra three miles to my journey, but the colors were so pretty that I didn't mind.  Good thing I got an early start!  

Just for the record, I hiked this in early October on the Tuesday following General Conference.  It was so colorful that I rather think it ought to become an annual tradition.


Back on the correct trail, I passed several majestic waterfalls.  They were especially inspiring on the way down when I was thirsty and running low on water.

While the leaves were stunning, the distant air was smokey due to wildfires.  Vista views were definitely hazy and limited.

After four or five miles, the summit of Timp finally comes into view.

A quiet hike, I didn't see another soul except for these mountain goats until I reached the giant rock field preceding the saddle.

While also blocking the path, I found them far less terrifying than moose.

Once you gained enough elevation, you could literally see the smokey haze blanketing the valley.  Blech.  No wonder my lungs struggle at times.

It was still kind of cool to see the mountain tops peeking through.

The trail from the saddle to the summit is rocky and steep, but solid.

Anders, you've left your mark!

Selfies are so awkward.  But hey, proof that I made it.

A long way up and a long way down.

Timp is magnificent, and I'm glad I seized the opportunity to hike it, regardless of whether or not anyone could join me.  Up until I got married, I felt comfortable doing all sorts of things on my own, whether going to the theater or traveling overseas.  Over the past couple of decades however, solitude has been extremely elusive.  In hiking by myself, I feel like I've been able to rediscover a piece of my old identity.  I don't mean to be foolhardy--I hike carefully and always let Jason know where I'm going and when to expect me home.  I just find it liberating to plan a few of my own adventures instead of relying upon someone else to make them happen.  By hiking up and jogging down, it doesn't take an excessive amount of time, and it's incredible where your own two feet can take you.

With all that said, some experiences are so special that you want to share them.  Looking out over the valley, I longed to share the vista with those I love most.  Next time I'm back, I hope it's with Jason and/or some of my children.  Who knows?  Maybe even Anders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you and your hiking enthusiasm Milkweed. However, I too would much prefer that you hiked with a trusted companion. The photos are terrific. I've never seen mountain goats in the wild, or at least as close as they were to you.