Thursday, January 23, 2020

Full STEAM ahead: STEM plus Art

"I cry the day that I take the tree down."  These lyrics from Michael McLean's Forgotten Carols ring so true.  Putting away Christmas is always sad.  I especially dislike taking all of the Christmas cards down from the refrigerator.  To fill the void, I've put up some of Annika's recent artwork.

The other day she and Ruby constructed an entire community, complete with a slide, road, houses, and a zoo.  She loves cutting and gluing so much that I'm planning on buying her a pack of construction paper for her birthday next week.

This morning before school, she drew a couple more pictures of the the things she loves: dolphins and horses.
Recently she and I were having a discussion about the song "Some things never change" from Frozen 2. Annika pointed out its truth with the argument, "It's like my love for animals.  That will never change."  Very likely.  I wonder if she will someday become a vegetarian as a result.  Today she pointed out an incongruity from Wild Kratts and asked why Jimmy eats pepperoni pizza if they all love animals so much.  Brooklyn likewise has thought a bit more about vegetarianism since dissecting a fetal pig in her biology class last week.  She must not have been that disturbed, however, since she still devoured my butternut squash and sausage soup.

As for Eli, he was busy tonight with his school science fair.  His project on refraction received an Honorable Mention.  I was particularly proud of how self-motivated he was in carrying out his project.  In fact, this evening was the very first time I saw his board.  Well-done, Cheezstick.

Emerson does a stellar job of combining their science fair with a STEM night that recruits organizations from all over the community to come share. 


Most beloved station of all?
Crafting a caterpillar.  And so the animal love circles back round, just as Christmas will surely come again too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A nice update. Yes, I suspect Annika is an incurable animal lover. That’s great.