Monday, April 10, 2017

When Dad's in Charge

While I was off in Seattle hanging with the Wilhoits, Jason was back in Salt Lake chauffeuring kids, doing dishes, and folding laundry.  I confess: a small part of me was eager for Jason to better understand the demands of what I do all day.  Instead, he pulled everything off so well that he made it seem easy--all while working his full-time job.  What can I say?  I've been humbled.

Some things really are different when Dad's in charge.  For example, the food is better.  I had to chuckle when I went through his pictures and found evidence of so many great meals.  I've fallen in love with the pie maker.

Burgers are always a favorite.

He discovered a recipe for these dangerously delicious copycat Lofthouse cookies.

Not only that, Mr. Mom made the kids heart-shaped pancakes for Valentine's Day.

Look at these lucky munchkins all dressed in red with syrup and whipped cream to sweeten their day.

Judging by the tin can carnage, Jason must have made chili as well.  If only we had a dish fairy!

When not enjoying great food, Jason and the kids were off doing fun things like going to see "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."  When the movie was sold-out, they all hung out in the car and watched "Finding Dory" until the late showing started.  This is why Dads are so much cooler than Moms.  I never would have let that happen on a school night.

Super Dad even took Friday off to go skiing at Brighton with Eli and Talia.  Meanwhile, Brooklyn had ski school at Snowbird.

It was Eli's first time on the ski lift.  He did great!  By the end of the day, they had skied all the lifts but one.

The one thing Jason didn't do while I was gone is get a puppy.  I think he came awfully close, though, after he and Eli spent several hours gazing at these cute canine companions.  The idea of bringing home a puppy home for a few years is awfully appealing--except that they don't come trained and we have white carpets.

Needless to say, I was incredibly impressed by all Jason managed to do while I was gone.  Believe it or not, I even came home to a house that was far cleaner than the one I left!  I'd be ready to call it quits and let Jason take over my job permanently except for one thing--Annika.  She spent most of the week with Grandma Susie and Grandpa Charles.  As productive as Jason's week was, Susie's productivity plummeted.  At least Annie was a good distraction following Grandma and Grandpa's basement flood.  Here's the sump pump Jason helped install, just in case the water table in Hyde Park ever rises so high again.

Even with a flooded basement, Grandpa and Grandma's house is always fun.  Talia kept everyone amused by crocheting Brooklyn a hand-fitted glove.


Even the cereal is better at Grandma's house!

Thank you Charles, Susie, and most especially Jason for taking such amazing care of our munchkins. And another big thanks to the munchkins, who do a spectacular job caring for themselves.  Life is super fun when Dad's in charge, but your huge smiles and hugs convinced me that you're glad to have Mom home too.  I love you all!

1 comment:

Susie said...

I always feel Charles can work circles around me here at home, too! I know Jason was commenting on all the places he had to get the kids to while you were gone, recognizing all you do behind the scenes while he is at work. You two are a great team! We loved having Annie with us and glad we could help and so grateful for Jason's sump pump installation help!!