Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our Square Foot Garden

Did you know that Talia can get so grumpy that her hair stands out straight on end?

Fortunately, we've discovered the antidote: dirt.

Just tromp around a bit, dig around a little, and everyone feels better.

Over the past week our family has ventured into the world of gardening for the very first time. The adventure has been a little, well, messy!

Eli and his saggy-bottom pants.

Just in case you missed that, here's a close-up!

No gardening venture is complete without a compost bin.

I dare say we have the cutest rubbish around.

Help! I'm stuck!

And, the final product: our square-foot garden.

We've built several raised garden beds, filling them with Mel's Mix, a combination of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. Rather pricey by the time all is said and done, but at least the garden promises to be low-maintenance. So far these 4x4 beds have been planted with lettuce, swiss chard, green onions, carrots, radishes, beets, basil, kohlrabi, spinach, strawberries, and a couple pretty flowers.

This 2x8 bed will soon get a trellis and become home to our peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, winter squash, and spices. As for the zucchini, this space-hogging monster will probably get its own mound somewhere else in the yard where it can sprawl to its heart's delight.

Talia inspects our very first sprouts.

Coming soon, radishes!

6 comments:

Susie said...

Radishes are so fun to plant. They produce a reward for your efforts the quickest. What a fun garden you have and so picturesque! It should grow great with all that wonderful St. George sun.

Erin said...

We are doing the same thing! I hope to have our garden beds built this week - we have laid out the space in our backyard and I'm waiting for my copy of Mel's book to arrive today. How fun!

Julie L said...

I remember when I first heard about the concept of square foot gardening back when the boys were in elementary school. It was such a "novel" idea then. Look how it has spread and taken over the backyards of America! I think I'll make that a goal for NEXT summer. I'm looking forward to watching your garden grow - be sure to keep the pix coming!

nrmahnsn@gmail.com said...

What absolutelly precious pictures!
And I'm really excited about your garden. Wonder if someone would build me such a labor-savor! You say it's kind of expensive (probably just initially) Then you'll have it available for future years' use, right? Do you know how that type of garden compares to the garden boxes that water & fertilize themselves, that you see advertised?

Chou said...

Yeah!!!

Bruce Richards said...

Too bad I'm not closer with my cows to supply you with some free fertilizer.