Thursday, December 16, 2010

Love All Year Round

First of all, many heartfelt thanks for all of the thoughtful and kind responses to the previous post. I feel wrapped in love and empathy, which is a really nice feeling because...

I'm sick.

Yuck. I hate being sick. Sore throat, fever, body aches, earache, chills--go away!

It's funny, but I generally find it slightly gratifying to have the thermometer register a fever when I feel lousy. It's as if my invisible aches and pains are being validated with concrete, tangible proof that something's definitely awry. My fever ceased to be gratifying, however, as my temperature spiked to 103 last night. I'd be perfectly content to never run a temperature again.

The bad news is that between Brooklyn's birthday and Christmas around the corner, I really don't have time to be sick. The good news is, it doesn't matter. Like it or not, my body's forcing me to slow down, crawl into bed, and enjoy a hot cup of herb tea.

Believe it or not, Christmas will happen whether or not I'm "ready." So what if the Christmas cards arrive late? Oh well if some packages don't make it in time. Too bad if I don't do all the baking, shopping, wrapping, crafting, caroling, and entertaining that I originally hoped to do. I simply refuse to beat myself up for "missing" a self-imposed December 25th deadline. I believe that the true spirit of Christmas should inspire us to serve and love all year 'round. This year, the love may show up a little late, but it's love just the same.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are not feeling well Kara. I agree with most of what you say about deadlines. If you wish to move Christmas from Dec. 25th to the more correct April 6th date, it is perfectly fine with me. However, I would like to see an unedited YouTube clip of you explaining the delay to Brooklyn and Talia. Keep smiling and get well soon!

Julie L said...

Kara, I am married to a person who almost refused to use a thermometer so I feel like a wimp when I go to it every time I take a chill. So gratifying to know I'm not alone. It's like the thermometer will give me permission to stay home when I'm feeling lousy. No fever, and tough beans.

You are wise to settle in and take care of yourself. There is a viral pneumonia going around, and I really pray you do not get that.

I'm not sure why we do this self-imposed beat ourselves up over Dec. 25 every year. I am getting more and more cards after Christmas now, though, and so I don't think the panic to get the annual letter out is as tied to the date on the calendar as it used to be, which is nice.

And I have really enjoyed trying to do more service and less panic buying this Christmas time. I wish I was close enough to help you. Get better! (I vote yes to the YouTube clip, too.)

Erin Gibbons said...

I also like the good ol' proof of the thermometer just to show everyone I really am sick! I am not doing about 50% of the things I thought of doing this season and my Christmas cards will be arriving late too...in fact I may not even get them by Christmas since they may arrive after we go to visit my Family! I hope that in your laying in bed you at least feel less stressed about Christmas! (PS Send us your address if you want a Christmas card, I may just have to email it anyway but it'd be nice to have your address too! erinefgibbons at gmail)