Sunday, December 12, 2010

A little lonely

Please forgive this evening's ramblings. I process life by writing, and tonight I have lots of emotions in need of processing.

***

First of all, I need to vent. Today has been an odd day. (Or worse yet, perhaps it was normal!) Throughout the day, at least five different people have commented on at least five different occasions about how incredibly short I am.

Gee. Wow. How insightful. I really hadn't noticed.

Walking into ward choir practice this morning, some lady commented on how I looked just like a little kid as I scurried along the sidewalk to church. She went on and on about how the sight of me running made her laugh and brightened up her morning.

So glad to be of service. If anyone else needs a good chuckle at my expense, I'm happy to volunteer.

Walking out of stake choir practice this evening, a group of women were fretting over what colors to wear for our upcoming performance of Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus." Before I know it, they've singled me out. Voice dripping withing concern, one says: "What we're really worried about is you, dear. Perhaps we can get a stool for you to stand on."

Gosh, thanks. Just what I've always wanted. Maybe the conductor can just give me his podium, and we'll all be set.

And thus, I've come to the inevitable conclusion that the only way I'll ever truly belong is to become a Hobbit. (Wink, wink.)

****

As much as I openly joke about my height, there are moments when the joke runs old. Days like today are hard, not because they make me feel small, but because they make me feel lonely.

"Huh?", you say. "Small-talk is harmless conversation. At least people are noticing you. Why would it make you feel lonely?"

But that's just it. Small-talk is evidence that nobody is actually noticing me. Believe it or not, I'm much more than my diminutive stature. These passing comments are alienating because they show how nobody's bothering to look beyond the packaging to the real person who lies beneath.

Have you ever noticed how when you are with a really good friend, you don't even notice what they look like anymore? Short of tall, fat or thin, you see their spirit instead of their physical shell.

I left behind a few such kindred spirits in Illinois--lifelong friends. Here in St. George, I'm still searching for that connection. Until I find it, a hole deep inside feels kind of empty, reminding me that I'm...

Lonely.

****

Recently I've done some reflecting on what's changed to make it more challenging to make friends here in St. George. These are a few of the things I've come up with.

1) It's Mormon Utah.

Now wait a second, before you start bristling, please realize that I'm not dissing the religion, nor the state. I love them both. My Mormon heritage is an inextricable piece of my identity that shapes who I am today and the person I hope to become. Growing up outside of Utah, however, my religious beliefs were always seen as unusual, unique, distinguishing characteristics. I always felt a deep sense of connectedness whenever I met someone else who was LDS because we shared something rare. While these encounters didn't always blossom into friendships, the building blocks were there.

Here in St. George, 70% of the population is LDS. By moving into the religious majority, I've somehow lost some of the personal connectedness that I used to feel. Being "Mormon" is no longer a unique, common bond. Rather, church sometimes seems like a neighborhood block party. Upon meeting someone new, the first question everyone asks is exactly where they live. I'm not sure I enjoy being identified by my home.

2) Our ward congregation is big--really big. Jason and I finally located our names on page 8 of the Sunday School roll. This is challenging for me as one who gets overwhelmed by crowds and prefers small, intimate settings.

3) We're too old to be young, and too young to be old. At the moment, our family kind of falls into an awkward stage of life where we're not transient students anymore, but nobody really views us as established. In general, our neighborhood consists of young families who are renting apartments, and older families with big houses. At the moment, our family doesn't really fit into either of these categories.

4) We've opted to send our daughter to a different school with diverse students. Since we've opted Brooklyn into a dual immersion program, she doesn't attend the same elementary school as the rest of the neighborhood kids.

5) It's not Champaign-Urbana. "Duh," you say. "Aren't you glad?" Geographically, absolutely. But sometimes I miss the ambiance of a university town. I miss the graduate student families. The nebulous "lab" that sucked in half the community. The intellectual bend to conversations, even in the children's section of the library. Recently I was talking to another Mom at the park when her kid used the word "growed." I began to jabber on about this piece of evidence suggesting constructivist grammar in first language acquisition as opposed to B.F. Skinner's ideas about behaviorism or Chomsky's ideas on universal grammar.

As this poor Mom's eyes began to gloss over, I had an ah-hah epiphany. In Champaign-Urbana, such blabber sets you apart as quirky, but kind of cool. In the heat of St. George, you are simply a nerd.

6) It's not Winfield Village. Now, I'm sure all of you living in Winfield are probably scoffing right now. A few months ago and I would have been scoffing with you. However, with a whopping four months of wisdom gleaned from living in the "real world," I wish I'd relished the experience a bit more instead of itching to move on. I miss the friendly chats in the mailroom, the thoughtful conversations in the park, the extemporaneous sympathy in the parking lot when your child throws a tantrum. In short, I miss having friends.

I never realized how much I would value Winfield as a great equalizer. Sure, there were slight moments of envy for three-bedrooms or painted walls, but for the most part, we were all in a similar place. And we were happy with that. Dirt poor, but the experiences brought us together.

****

Even as I write these musings, I realize that there's no turning back. Winfield wasn't magic, Illinois wasn't perfect; rather, these places were made special by the people and the relationships. I trust that with time, patience, and a little courage, we will look back on St. George with the same wishful longing.

So now, I'm looking for wisdom from the many of you who have walked this path before. How have you crossed the bridge between stranger and friend? How do you go about building positive relationships in a new place? Ultimately, how do you fill the void when you feel lonely?

22 comments:

michelle said...

Kara,
I wish I had answers for you. I remember having and still have some of the same feelings--except the large ward one. The transition is hard. I lucked out in that we had another family move in right about the same time we did and they also just moved in from grad school so I do have one friend with which I can relate most of the time. However, I still find myself longing for a place of belonging.

Julie L said...

Kara, my heart goes out to you. I confess I had to pause and think when you were sharing the "short" stories - gosh, I don't remember you being short, have you shrunk? See, I get the tall comments. And I'm not all that tall. But most everyone is shorter than me, so I don't even think in terms of tall or short. Just in terms of what a wonderful person you are, and you really are! Your ward members are missing out big time if they haven't learned that yet.

I think there are times when we all feel out of place, even after living in the same ward, same neighborhood forever. So I can empathize a little. One thing Makinzee did was to host an ornament party with all her neighbor women. Everyone brought an ornament they would like for themselves (i.e. not a gag gift)and a treat, and they opened the gifts like a white elephant exchange, and talked and got to know each other. They entered as strangers and left as friends.

Tonya and Brian are just entering into that same situation moving out of University housing and into a real neighborhood. My heart goes out to each of you in your transition period and I wish you well. I'm sure you will find your friends in time, but at this time of year it has to be especially hard to be so far from the familiar and loved.

Julie L said...

I should have said "real" with quotes in my comment above. Because you were definitely in a real neighborhood before, in every sense of the word!

Jessica Bybee said...

Kara,
Oh life outside of Winfield and CU area takes a while to get use to. I still long for the time when we could run to the playroom and see friends not planned. I miss lots of things about the CU area, but mostly my dear friends there. Things I have done to help my adjustment here is to plan Ladies Night Out and help those who need you... even after almost 2 years (in April), I still miss the entire grad school experience. It does get better though! Hugs!

The Favorite said...

First of all- I love you!!! You will always have wonderful friends in FROZEN NY.
It's hard and it's good to recognize that. There is also the quote of "bloom where you're planted" and you will- it takes time. Living is Utah is hard when you've lived outside for so long. I love you and I'm here for you if you need to talk.

Kristin said...

You being short is not the first thing I think of when I remember you from back in the day. :) I recently bought the first pair of casual shoes with actual heels that I've ever owned; I feel like a different person when I wear them.

I've lived where we are now for more than three years, and I finally feel like I have some friends. It takes so much time, which is why we're not going to move the hour or so closer to my husband's office. We spent two years at one church, where I did make a few friends but it was hard, before we finally allowed ourselves to move on to another church, which is when I finally feel like things turned around and I started to have more of a life. But I still feel lonely for girl friends. I thought that being a mom at long last would usher me into the secret society of real sisterhood or something like that, and I do have mom friends now and it's great, but I still feel like I have a hard time relating to them so much of the time. And I realize now that finding someone who really gets you is rare, unless you live and breathe scrapbooking and cooking. Nothing wrong with those hobbies, but I like to read and write and watch interesting television shows, and I'm interested in history and theology and musicals, and all of that apparently makes me unrelate-able. And it doesn't help when you feel like an outsider because you grew up somewhere else.

Whew. Well, that wasn't necessarily productive, but I liked being able to vent too. :)

Bleen said...

I've never heard someone sum up my feelings about Utah so well. BYU was quite the shock for me.

My best friendships have come from service- either when I was in need of it or the other way around. Which is difficult in a new area because people don't exactly walk around with their hearts on the sleeve. It takes a while to get past the small talk and start to see what's under the surface. Hang in there and try not to let first impressions get in the way.

BTW, I never really noticed your height as a defining feature. :)

Erin said...

Joining the MOMS club (3 moves ago) was a lifesaver for me. I didn't feel any connection in particular to any of the ladies at Relief Society. Is there a social group you can join related to one of your interests? A book club? A running club? A PTA at Brooklyn's school? I met a lot of friends at PTA.

Sometimes it just takes time, too. I feel lucky with this move that I am making friends, even though I know THEY will be moving in a matter of months.

Hang in there!

Ashlee said...

Oh Kara! I'm so sorry! I know how you feel. I wish I had a good answer, but I think it just takes time. Have you prayed for a friend? I did that once in an extremely lonely time, and then a friend was provided- one that I REALLY connected with. We needed each other. I think even just having ONE really great friend makes a tremendous difference. Also, I don't think you feel "at home," in a new place until the first year is over, and you have a years worth of memories so that the following year it feels more familiar. Hope things start feeling better soon!

Tanja said...

I agree with Julie: "Just in terms of what a wonderful person you are, and you really are! Your ward members are missing out big time if they haven't learned that yet." And as much as I hate to say this ... it seems that the "sickness" of lonelines is spreading. It doesn't matter with whom I am talking right now - the busy mother of five young children, the mother of grown-up teenagers, the grandmothers, the young single adults or just the single adults. They all feel lonely - we have forgotten how to communicate well and also how to do it without the Internet and chatrooms. I hope things will get better for you soon and you will find (as Anne of Green Gables) a true bosom friend (the translation in German Busenfreunde sounds funny) in St. George. Ich wünsche dir noch eine schöne Vorweihnachtszeit.

Brian and Tonya said...

Oh Kara, your post speaks to me today. My mom directed me here and I can see that she mentioned that I am just starting down this same path. Sigh. I keep wondering what Brian and I were thinking leaving the university community, our home. I'm sure we'll both find our place, but you are right, it does seem a bit harder in mormon Utah (and while I've lived in Utah my whole life, the university of Utah campus isn't quite like the rest of Mormon Utah, lol). Good luck, and if you get any tips, please pass them along. Hope that Brian and I can visit you and Jason on our next trip to st George.

candice said...

I'm sorry you are feeling lonely; it'll get better. Hang in there.

Becca said...

Oh, Kara remember you are not alone. After moving 3 years ago, I had many of the same feelings. I remember nights after nights telling David I had no friends. How sad and lonely I felt. I too miss CU on occasion, but it is getting less and less frequent...although I still remember my great friends and miss them. It takes time...The best thing is try to enjoy life, try to serve others, and sometimes you have to do a lot of the reaching out at first. It is hard, but in time you will find this to be your home:) Good luck, pray for strength and help, and you will get through this transition time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kara McCall, as an anonymous reader and admirer of your blog I have a few observations to share:

First, note that you received 13 comments to this entry within only one day! You are blessed with many dear, loyal and close friends. I concur with the suggestions offered in these prior comments.

Second, I respectfully suggest you find time to read the "Loneliness of Leadership" devotional address delivered by Elder Hinckley long before you were born in 1969: http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=11131 Thinking on this address has helped me greatly over the years. Here are a few sentences:

"There is a great loneliness in leadership, but, I repeat, we have to live with ourselves. ... I know of few if any alternatives with which we can live other than the alternative with which we are immediately faced. ...

It was ever thus. The price of leadership is loneliness. The price of adherence to conscience is loneliness. The price of adherence to principle is loneliness. I think it is inescapable. The Savior of the world was a Man who walked in loneliness. I do not know of any statement more underlined with the pathos of loneliness than His statement: “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head” (Matthew 8:20)."

Third, Besides our Savior, you have a wonderful loving friend in your husband (I know ... he leaves for the office lots of the time ... as he should). Since your children are not yet in their teen years, they are often joyful companions as well (and likely will be even then).

Fourth, I get it ... I know you mean something different than family friendship and "assigned church friends" ... There was something very special about running into close friends in the park or mail-room when you lived in Savoy. Patience, persistence, prayer and service all help, but remember one more source of dependable friendship is wholesome literture. Some of our best, and most accessible, friends are books (regardless of their shape or size). "Keep smiling Milkweed!"

Jackie said...

Wow, first off the 'short' comments are not cool. Some people! But the rest I could just copy and paste and put on my blog! Although I didn't move to Utah and I am still relatively close to Winfield I still feel some connection but things have changed since we have been gone (not even a year!). I miss it too. I am in a small "village" with two other church members close by and we are in a branch and we are liking it but it has its challenges.

But friends. Have I found any here? No. Have my kids? Barely. I suppose it'll happen in time but I have been too busy to really socialize. I feel out of place but I suppose keeping myself busy has been keeping me afloat. If you find out a solution though let me know! ;)

Shaun R. said...

When I started at BYU, one of my friends from San Antonio was in the same ward with me. One day we were talking about the adjustment to the bubble. On the one hand it was a nice change to not be the only member and it was nice to not have to constantly defend your beliefs. On the other hand we did feel like we had lost something. He commented, "Remember back in San Antonio when we were special?" That's exactly what it felt like. We had somehow lost our specialness.

Susie said...

Sorry to be so slow getting around to reading this blog and responding. I wish I could be there to give you a hug and be a listening ear! I agree it takes at least a year to start feeling like you "fit in." Within a short time of living in our new neighborhood one of the neighbor ladies started to spontaneously call and invite us over for an impromptu potluck lunch at times. After a bit some of us would randomly do that. also. It really helped us to connect with each other and to bond. I still try to do that at least one a year. Cami is now a good friend and that started out with me just inviting her to go walking with me, as I recognized that she enjoyed exercise. It takes time and effort, but I believe that your ears will be in tune to comments others make that will show you who has common interests with you, that you can reach out to, visit with, invite, etc. And remember...family is always there for you (even if it IS long distance!) I, also, had a neighbor who would call and invite me to go to the park with her and her children at times. That helped to develop a friendship.

Anonymous said...

You have eloquently stated what Mark and I have felt since moving to Macon. I am but one phone call away and would love if you would lean on me for once, as I have leaned on you so many times I have lost count. Your are amazing and loved. I am always here.

tweedlediva said...

Funny that in reading your post, I was thinking about how I live in Winfield and I still feel the way that you do. I've found that sometimes we need to just learn to be best friends with ourselves until a good friend comes a long and takes over for a while.

Hang in there. Before you know it you be surrounded with friends and will look back on this time with a quiet amusement about how hopeless it all seemed at the time, kind of like looking back on being single and thinking you'll never find your husband.

You're a very likable person, Kara- from one short person to another. :-)

jennybhill said...

Kara, I appreciated this post.
First of all, we miss you and your family! I would have loved hearing your linguistic observations at the park :)
As you might remember, Aaron and I moved here when we'd been married only two weeks, so after 5+ years together this is the only place we've ever called home. Right now as we look at the future we may be here one more year, or we may take a job and be gone by the summer. I find myself being very excited at the prospect of moving simply for the adventure and the newness, but this post and the comments have been good for me to consider. I'm sure I will miss it here regardless of when we go. It is simply a unique time of life shared with a lot of great people.
So, sorry that I have no advice, but thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts, as well as starting this conversation with your blog's faithful readers :)

P.S. Sorry you're sick at Christmastime -- you have a great attitude though. And, Happy Birthday to Brooklyn!

Bruce Richards said...

The only thing I ever noticed about your size is that you're perfect for Jason. For some reason he always thought he was too small to wrestle with me...I didn't.
We miss you too. I'm wondering if we move to Pennsylvania if we'll feel the same way you do because we won't have the pool of graduate students to be friends with, or if the ward will be so small everyone will become our friends, even if there is an age difference.

steve and jessica said...

Kara,
Your post was really interesting to me because I have felt the same way at times since we moved. It is hard to feel like you aren't sure where you fit in. The only thing I could suggest is don't stop trying! We moved in just over a year ago and I have set up many play dates/walks/spent lots of time getting to know people and within the past month we have had a couple of invitations to play games with other people for the first time. It can be frustrating and lonely, but hopefully as you try to be the friend you want, hopefully people will start to reciprocate. It is hard, but hopefully with time it will get easier.