Thursday, November 09, 2023

Ruth Lake 2023

Four days after our extensive summer escapades, our family turned around and went backpacking to Ruth Lake with the youth.  In truth, it wasn't my very best trip.  Looking back, I think I was depleted--mentally, physically, and socially--from traveling for so long.  After four straight weeks of hanging with a group of 15-20, I probably should have recognized that I needed an introvert break and let Jason take the kids without me.  Instead, FOMO took hold and I tagged along.  Looking at the pictures, I'm glad that I did!  While I'm not sure I fully appreciated the beauty at the time, it brings me joy to recollect the time spent in this beautiful place with wonderful people.

Here are the Young Men ready for adventures.  Ben Keddington made the fantastic T-shirts: Jeremy Lovers Unite!  (During the last trip, they adopted a branch named Jeremy that backpacked most of the West Rim trail with them.)

Heading into the Uintas!  Jason's pack may be heavily laden, but we kept Annika's light to pamper her heart.  No such coddling for his ACL, I suppose.

Pausing for a break.

The heavens opened just as we arrived.  Setting up camp in the pouring rain was a challenge, but most of the youth were used to it at this point, having battled TORRENTIAL downpours earlier in the month during Trek.

It took some work and a heavy dose of lighter fluid, but we fortunately got a fire started to warm up and cook our hot dogs.

The calm after the storm.  Stunning.


Here's Talia working to get the fire started in the moring.

We usually camp atop the rocks of a nearby outcropping, but the spot was taken so we camped in the meadow instead.  All the better for viewing the flowers!



Sisters!  Brooklyn and Talia savored this time together before Brooklyn headed to college.


Love the lily pads, Love Talia Lily.

Most of the group headed out for a late morning hike around some of the surrounding lakes.




Tara's calling somebody out for something.  Talia, what did you do?  Or maybe Ben Keddington is the guilty one.



At least Eli's smiling.  :)

Meanwhile, I stayed back at camp with Annika and a few others.  Unlike this trip, she didn't wander off.


Appreciating our giant tent.  Sadly, it's on its last poles.   Come to think of it, we retired our last Tent-Mahal after backpacking Ruth Lake as well, back in 2017.  Check out the link, the kids are so stinking cute!  

Before long, it was time to break camp and head home.  We wanted to stay ahead of a different storm that we could see rolling in.  As you can see, my kids are experts at tent collapsing.  Brooklyn, how will we survive without your skills?


Back on the trail.

Annika traveled with a book and a hatchet in hand.  Does she know that the pen is mightier than the sword?


We made it back to the cars just as the rain started to fall.

Until next time, Ruth Lake!  Thanks for bringing out my better side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow ... Ruth Lake was definitly warmer than Posey Lake was a few years ago. Now THAT was a campout to remember! It gets colder and windier every time I think about it.