Saturday, August 19, 2023

Summer in Salt Lake, Plus a Tribute to Spark

I'm a sucker for summer, especially the long, carefree days. Education is so much more enjoyable when homework isn't involved! Here we are enjoying the Natural History Museum.

Annika was so excited to meet the animals in the new Wild World exhibit.  Funny story--I was listening to a live presentation that I thought Annika would love.  The place was packed and I couldn't spot her in the crowd.  I heard this kid who knew all the animal facts and thought, wow, she knows as much as my daughter!  It took a minute before I realized that the kid was Annie.

Just glad this bad boy's not still alive!

This summer we made learning to swim a priority and enrolled Annie in three swim sessions.  She's getting there!


As for Talia and Eli, they've been running like crazy, both on their own and with Launch Team.  Eli is preparing to run the Big Cottonwood half in September, while Talia's signed up for the full.  So proud of them both!  I miss the days when we ran together a bit, but they are both way too fast for me now.  


Exploring the Children's Garden at Red Butte.  I love the succulents lining the snake's mouth.



The Water Conservation Garden is growing beautifully as well.



Da moose, da mooooose.

Beautiful roses, beautiful family.


Christy had ACL replacement in June.  The day before her surgery we went for a hike up Red Butte.  While not the best form of bonding, Christy and Jason can compare their bum limbs, Ziggy and God's Will.

Every time I walk through the foothills I feel grateful that we have beauty so close to home.

We parked below the lime kiln, then hiked down past the U to get to Dy Canyon.


Eli's looking a little sleepy.

Hikers on hikers!  Annika is far too old to be carried, but the incline can be a little tough on her heart so sometimes Jason gives her a piggyback anyway.


We wandered up Dry Canyon to watch the sunset from the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.  Magical.





Family is just as special, particularly when you get to spend time with your 97 year-old grandma. Norma Hansen, we love you!

May your joy be as bountiful as the sandwiches from The Grove.

More summer fun--the Tracy Aviary! In all the times that we've visited the aviary, this was our first lorikeet encounter. Larger than budgies, they were so fun! They limit the amount of feeding they get from visitors, so they were much more interactive than similar experiences we've had.



We weren't all that surprised when one mistook Eli's hair for a nest.  He looks pretty adorable with a bird on his head.



This one perched on my finger, even though I didn't have any food.


And this crazy guy?  Well, s/he seemed pretty intent on eating Annika's hair.

That, or it was fishing for bugs.  (No, she does not have lice.  I think.  I hope.  Knock on wood.  Our family hasn't dealt with that yet, but now I feel like I've jinxed it.)

Last adventure, hiking to Donut Falls with the Wilhoits.  Rather popular, it's not built for solitude, but it's still great for kids.


Here's Eila lowering herself down to the creek.



The water was running fast and furious, so much so that only Eli crossed to the other side.  I didn't fancy drowning.


Thanks for the hike!  Let's do it again soon.


More happy moments: dinner with the Millcreek Wheelers.  Violet gets cuter every day!



Berry rhubarb pie is as colorful as it is tasty.

The raspberries in our own backyard were amazing this year.  I love going outside to pick a bowlful, although truthfully I pop half directly into my mouth.

Here's an impromptu picnic dinner up City Creek Canyon.  We crossed paths with our neighbors, the Harmons, who arrived just as we were cleaning up.  Annie loves playing with their daughter Lucy.

Brooklyn heads to college in a week and a half.  Gosh, we are going to miss her!  Brooklyn's super excited to have secured a spot in Helaman Halls.  She's going to be in a suite with five girls in David John Hall--it will be a party for sure!  Yesterday she went down to Provo to meet with her English professor, only to learn that he lives a mile away, right around the corner from the Smith's on Sixth Avenue.  It's such a small world!

I expect it might be hardest for Talia, but her crazy fall schedule will keep her so busy that she won't have much time to be lonely. 





Cousin sleepover!  Eila and Ruby came to spend the night.  These three girls have so much fun together.

We also enjoyed several evening concerts at the Gallivan Center.   I listened while Annika rollerbladed and fetched balls for those playing pickleball.  She wanted to play so badly that I finally picked up some paddles, although we haven't used them yet.



Even better was the Tabernacle Choir concert on Temple Square.  Featuring all the music from their recent Mexico tour, I loved it so much that I went twice just so I could bring the family with me.  Even though it's challenging for choir members, I absolutely love how they are starting to perform in different languages.



Hiking!  As expected, I headed up into the mountains any chance I had.  One morning I booked my way up Bells Canyon pretty early in an effort to beat the heat.  The waterfalls are quite dramatic this year with all the snowmelt.



And here are a couple of pictures from a trip up Salt Lake Overlook with Callie.


Can't quite explain this picture.  Eli did it to himself.  I adore this boy!

I adore this girl too!  Always wanting a new project, Talia found some fabric and designed the coolest jeans.


Afternoon tea on flowered china in the backyard.  Thanks for fixing it for us, Annika!

Last but not least, the Memorial in our backyard.  Our guinea pig Spark passed away at the beginning of July.  

I didn't expect to sob as hard as I did, but gosh, I sure loved that guy!  He was really the best pet for our family.  Cuddly and affectionate, yet not too needy when life got crazy.  He composted all our carrot peels and celery tops, performed a few tricks (aka begging for carrots), and made us happy with his chirps.  He lived a long guinea pig life; our family enjoyed him for nearly six years.  We adopted him from a shelter in 2017, so I'm guessing that he lived to be at least seven--that's a long time in guinea pig years.  He'd started to slow down a bit over the past few months, so we knew he wouldn't be with us forever.  Still, every time I have leftover cilantro or an apple core to dispose of, I think of our Spark and with he were still here.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another inspiring post Kara McCall. Sure thankful for Annie's continued health blessings and for wonderful caregivers.

And for the record ... I too think Spark was a fine pet for your family. I did like him (at a distance). Keep Smiling!