Friday, November 08, 2019

Loving Young Women's

Part of the reason that I'm excited to get caught up on this blog is that I'm ready to write about "real" stuff.  I want a space to process the gritty nuts and bolts of being part of a family, a community, this earth.  

For our family, faith is an integral part of engaging with each other and our neighborhood.  As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we don't have a paid clergy.  Instead, members take turns sharing responsibilities, whether speaking on Sunday, playing the organ, or teaching a youth Sunday school class.  Some responsibilities are short-term needs that we fill, such as giving a talk, offering a prayer, or even cleaning the church building.  Others are considered "callings" where local church leaders pray for revelation/inspiration about who should serve in an organization for a longer amount of time.  It's not always a logical process.  Many times a person will receive a new calling, not because he/she is the most suited for it, but rather because of the opportunity for growth.

This past June, I received a new calling.  Since December 2014, I'd been serving as the Primary Chorister, first in Nebraska and then here in the Avenues of Salt Lake.  (Primary is essentially the equivalent of Sunday school for kids aged 3-11, with about half the time spent doing music.)  Even when we switched wards, my calling didn't change because the combined Primary was shared between our rental home and our house on Virginia Street.

While certainly challenging, I loved being in Primary.  Since Primary spans so many ages, I got to be there for that very brief, magical window when all four of my children were together.  Every week, we got to sing together: beautiful, simple songs about faith, prayer, and the love of our Heavenly Father.  I really believe that the core Gospel truths can be distilled into the principles taught through these Primary songs.  I appreciated the opportunity to regularly share my faith through music.  I grew to love the kids in Primary and smiled each time I saw them around the neighborhood.  I'll never really know if these cute little Primary kids learned much, but I know that I was strengthened.  

For me as a Primary chorister, most Sundays were great, albeit exhausting.  The one exception was when the Primary program rolled around.  Once a year, the children provide all of the music and talks for sacrament meeting, our main worship service.  While absolutely adorable, the Primary Program can be pretty stressful for those in charge.  I remember feeling wrenched after hearing some criticism of last year's program.  With tears in my eyes, I told Jason that I just couldn't do it again.  They'd have to find somebody else before the next one rolled around.

Eventually I got over it, just as we do with all hard experiences.  Weeks passed and I was grateful to be back in the routine of singing about love and kindness with my Primary kids.  When June came and they asked me if I would serve as the Young Women's President instead, I felt shocked.  This wasn't what I'd meant. I was sorry I'd ever complained.  I loved Primary music.  If anything, I was just tired and needing a break.  And by the way, this new calling they were proposing was anything but a break.  

In the end, I put my trust in a higher place and summoned the courage to say yes.  I still miss Primary music, but serving in Young Women has been amazing.  More challenging?  Yes.  More demanding?  By far.  Even more rewarding?  Absolutely. 

For our first midweek activity, we hiked Ensign peak and flew this banner featuring our personal mottos.


A few days later we hiked Big Mountain with the stake as part of their "Girls Non-Camp."  (Sort of like an abbreviated Girls Camp where we didn't spend the night.)

The views were spectacular.


Astonishingly, they had a cello and guitar playing hymns high on the mountaintop.


If the lore is correct, Orson Pratt peered over the valley with this very telescope.

The following weekend, our 4th and P Young Men and Young Women headed up to Bear Lake for youth conference.  Thanks to Grandpa Charles, they were able to do some pruning at the Logan Temple on the way.



Annie may not have been very diligent at caring for the shrubbery, but she did practice her somersaults.

Here's Grandpa Charles sharing some stories of the pioneer faith that went into the temple's construction.



Next stop: Aggie Ice Cream.  Brooklyn liked That Blue One.

At last, Bear Lake.  For sleeping arrangements, we shared a couple condos at Ideal Beach, thanks to the generosity of the 27th ward bishop.

Good news is it was beautiful.  Bad news is it was really chilly.  So much so that we cancelled the boat for fear of tubing-induced hypothermia.

The following morning we gathered for some Olympic games.


Each group had to name their own nation and come up with its history and flag.  If I remember correctly, these guys represented Oompa Loompa land.


Inspired by helado, this team liked That Blue One.


Let the races begin.






Getting called as Young Women's President right before Youth Conference would have totally stressed me out were it not for my good friend Kalleen.  Kalleen saved the day and offered to take care of all of the food.  No matter how long I live, I will forever be grateful.

Yay Kalleen!  She even did this all on her birthday.

Three cheers for my honey as well.  He brings out the best in me.

Plus, he's a pretty great Dad.

We took the money we'd saved on boat fuel and used it to do Go Karts instead.  

It was surprisingly fun.

Watch out world, Talia's behind the wheel.



Future driver.  Brooklyn's Learner's Permit is coming up way too fast.  Weeks, not months.  Ack!!!



Thanks to all for an amazing Youth Conference.  As a leader and as a parent, I was so impressed by how well the youth got along, bypassing all the teen drama.  They were respectful, polite, and kind.  In the end, what else matters?

Shortly after Youth Conference, I disappeared for a whole month as we traveled cross country.  I am grateful for supportive counselors and advisers who kept things rolling in my absence.  As soon as I got back, I invited the girls over to roast marshmallows in our backyard.  We appreciated the sunshine since it had rained all day.

I loved the fire.  The girls loved the fire.  I'm not so sure the neighbors loved the fire.  While I can't be certain, I strongly suspect someone called the fire department on us.   We'd been roasting mallows for a few minutes when we heard the blaring sirens of a fire engine headed coming straight for us.  The fire truck slowed down right in front of our house, went around the block, and slowed down again as it passed by the second time.  I guess they must have decided we weren't too much of a threat since firefighters never knocked down our gate.

At least the s'mores were tasty.






A week later we headed up Schuyster Creek, a lovely property up East Canyon that was acquired by the Wright family with the youth in mind.

Between canoes, a faith walk, and a hot dog roast, the Young Men and Young Women had a fantastic time.


When we lived in Omaha, my creative friends Bree and Christy told me all about this fantastic Young Women Values Color Run they'd held.  As soon as I got called to Young Women's here, I knew I wanted to try the same.  The first step was ordering powder--a lot of powder.

Our Color Run happened to fall on a hard day for these girls, many of whom attend West High.  Earlier that day, West had an all-school lockdown where a student was apprehended with a handgun.  While no one was injured, it was terribly frightening to huddle in darkened classrooms with no idea what was going on.  Our children shouldn't have to live in an environment of such fear and anxiety, but that's a conversation for another post.

Fortunately, the Color Run was a great way to have some fun and relieve stress. 

We talked about how these girls can brighten the world with color and hope, especially when things seem dark.

Annika was an outstanding helper.



With so many color stations to manage, I was grateful for the help of our ward and stake leaders too.






In case you can't tell, that's Brooklyn.

I think Talia's hiding somewhere beneath the powder too.



Such Colorful Joy!


Glad we held our Color run before the YW theme was revised.  Our color stations were centered on the YW values: faith, divine nature, individual works, knowledge, choice and accountability, good works, integrity, and virtue.  While the values themselves remain timely, the list was retired in the theme's newest iteration.

Oh, how I love these girls.
I confess: I was initially intimidated by the idea of working with Young Women.  I may have two older girls, but I'm far from an expert.  I worried about relating to this younger generation and dreaded catty meangirl behavior.  Instead, I've been overwhelmed by the love and respect they show one another.  They demonstrate such courage in living their faith each day, especially in an environment where religion is often scorned.

Reflecting on Young Women's is bittersweet for me.  I've grown to love these girls so much, but callings change.  Mine may switch much sooner than I anticipated.  You see, at the beginning of September Jason got called as the bishop of our ward.  For those unfamiliar with how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is organized, being called as bishop is pretty hefty.  Think pastor or minister of our local congregation--just minus the paycheck.  I tease Jason about being a One-Upper since his new calling will likely necessitate a change in mine.  (At least that's what the letter from the First Presidency affirmed.)  I don't feel ready to move on.  There are so many relationships I'd like to cultivate and experiences I'd like to share with these girls.  But then again, maybe I'd never feel ready.  I guess I'm learning a valuable life lesson: cherish every opportunity you have to serve because you never know how long the moment will last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts and people.