Sunday, November 12, 2017

Jason on the Move

When the kids were younger, it was a big deal when Jason left town.  I seriously struggled when he was scheduled to be away.  Each time his plane took off, I worked to squash feelings of resentment at being abandoned, and wished that I were the one traveling instead.

I don't stress about Jason's business trips the same way anymore.  I'd like to say that I've gotten more skilled at surviving on my own.  To some extent, that might be true.  After all, I practiced for five months straight after Annika was born.  But truthfully, I think this stage of life is simply easier.  Having children who sleep through the night is a glorious thing, as is having older daughters who can babysit while you run to the store.

And so, let me gladly share a few pictures of Jason's travels.  While we certainly miss our Dad, we are sincerely happy for the cool experiences he has had all over the nation.  Here's Jason connecting with his good friend John while in Dallas, Texas for an ACD (Association for Community Design) Convention.  Jason and John were co-workers during our Omaha days.

Jason ran into another APMA colleague, Jay Palu, while in the airport.


At the time, Jason was on his way to Boston for the Rose Fellow selection committee.  These swings at the Lawn on D Street are pretty fantastic.

A temporary installment, I may have to visit Boston soon just so I can enjoy them.

On his way out to Boston, Jason scheduled an extended layover in Chicago so he could spend some time with his awesome brother, Lance.

While rummaging through Jason's phone, I couldn't find many brother pictures.  However, I did find several mouthwatering photos of the food they ate.  Um, yum!

There were also plenty of photos featuring Lance's snazzy new flat.  Jason and Lance spent quite a bit of time hanging pictures (along with a larger mirror that unfortunately fell and broke.  Sorry, Lance!)

My favorite pictures, however, were those taken from their architecture boat tour.  Absolutely stunning.

As a child growing up in Chicago, I had some favorite buildings.  I think the "cloverleaf" was my very favorite...


...with the "corncobs" running a close second.

While you'd never know it by the way I dress, deep at heart I'm kind of a city girl.

They are working hard to clean up the Chicago river, with long-term plans of making it swimmable.

An architecture boat tour was one of the bucket list items that Jason and I never got around to before our Illinois years came to a close.

Perhaps it's best we waited as the city just keeps getting better.

While I don't have any photos, Jason's also taken two trips to Atlanta recently, with a third on the horizon.  Given his FarRoc experience, he is working remotely to help run a design competition there.  Jason, you are amazing, with a network of people that love and need you all across this globe.  I'm glad for the new experiences that are yours as you travel, but mostly, I'm glad that ours is the place you call home.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow these are amazing pictures! I caught up on some of your newer posts and it’s always so nice to see your bright faces and happy smiles. I love your family. Much love to you all !

Jason said...

Wow Kara. Thank you for the kind words, and for always being so supportive, even when being supportive has meant bucketloads of personal sacrifice on your part. Love you sweetheart.