Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Blaring Silence

Warning: this is likely the first in a series of pathetic posts where I wallow in self-pity.

Five.

The number of hours since my mother, husband, and sweet daughters left for a family vacation in Vermont. Without me. Sigh.

(I suppose someone has to stick around and earn the bread to put on the table.) (Ha ha.) (By the way, the table feels rather empty.) (Sigh again.)

196.

The approximate number of hours until they return.

As you can imagine, the house is extremely quiet. I've become so accustomed to constant commotion that the stillness feels quite strange. I never realized how blaring silence can be.

I planned on watching a few movies to keep me company in the evening, but wouldn't you know, the TV died this week. As did my computer. Go figure. Just when we have so much discretionary income available after forking up for a down payment on our mortgate. (I'm so funny.)

On the positive side, I'm grateful to have baby Eli to keep me company with his giggles and smiles. I'm also thankful for an older laptop that allows me to keep in touch with the world via e-mail (even if it won't play DVDs). I'm grateful for a cell phone, and especially thankful for my husband who retrieved my phone for me after I left it on the bus yesterday. Oh, and I can't forget for the guy who mailed the very same phone to me from Las Vegas after I left it in the rental car a couple weeks ago...

With a bit of quiet, the blessings ring out loud and clear.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara McCall (Milkweed):
-There are a few advantages to being alone if you are willing to be alone without being lonely (especially with young Eli around). For example, you may be able to use the restroom (alone) for a week, or leave a fragile work product on the end-table without having to worry about 5 and 3 year old "adjustments." You may also find time to phone or email your father from time to time (provided you can find your phone) ... and perhaps you should buy a pint of Hagan-Daz ice cream and quietly eat it "all by yourself" on your own time table. I know you are very busy with teaching and move preparations ... that too helps the time pass quickly.

Susie said...

It is amazing how we do get used to things we never thought we'd be able to when we were single! Even when only one child goes away to camp or something you notice a huge difference. Wish I could be there to help with Eli and the packing!

Jenika said...

You can bring baby Eli over to my place and watch our TV anytime!! :-D

Jason said...

Hmm... One would think you were trying to get yourself a new phone...

We miss you too. Vermont won't be the same without you, and we're thinking of you!

Love

The Favorite said...

Oh- I hope the time has gone quick! If they need to stop and see some friends in NY we'd be happy :)
Yes- watch lots of girly movies, read, sleep, and enjoy the peace.

Chou said...

I miss you all, and wish we were closer so we could help pack, too.