Monday, June 07, 2010

On my way to the Top (of Utah Marathon)

I guess I’m addicted.

While running the Illinois half-marathon was both painful and challenging, it was also exhilarating. It felt amazing to accomplish something difficult and know that I’d given my personal best. In the end, it took me 2 hours and 6 minutes to run 13.1 miles. (That’s roughly 20 minutes faster than my first half marathon). While this may not be particularly fast for a Wheeler, it’s great for an Andrus. My steady, 9:38 pace placed me in the top quarter of my category, and I was elated.

Thrilled as I am with this race, I still have this nagging desire to step it up one more notch. Even while running the half, I found myself wondering, “Could I ever manage a full marathon?” At mile nine I decided, “Oh yeah, baby, bring it on!” However, by the time mile marker twelve finally arrived, I had changed my tune: “Never. Absolutely not. Are you insane?”

But then the pivotal moment. Sitting in the stadium bleachers afterward, watching marathoner after marathoner run, walk, hobble, stumble, even crawl over the finish line. The air was electric as accomplishment and pride crowded out the intense physical pain of these warriors. It was truly an emotional experience.

Could I ever run a marathon? I don’t know, but I want to try.

Even though I started secretly investigating full marathons immediately after, I’ve procrastinated writing this post for over a month now. It’s frightening to openly commit to such a daunting task, even if only to friends on the blogosphere. On the positive side, I’m hoping that the extra measure of accountability will be motivating.

So which marathon, and when? I limited my search to our parents’ hometowns since a) it was absolutely delightful having family around to watch the kids during the Illinois marathon and b) we have absolutely no idea where we will be living come fall. While we may have to travel for the race, at least we get the added benefit of getting to spend time with family. Given the choice between the plains of Nebraska and the mountains of Utah, you’d think that Nebraska would offer the easier marathon. Guess again. The Omaha marathon is advertised as a “challenge.” Its website reminds that “Omaha is not quite as flat as most think.” As the course winds through the bluffs, ten miles of the race is spent going up and down hills.

In contrast, Logan’s “Top of Utah” marathon boasts a “perfect downhill race” as you run down a very slight grade out of scenic Blacksmith Fork Canyon.

Personally, I think running 26.2 miles will be rough enough—I don’t need an extra challenging marathon. So Top of Utah it is—Saturday, September 18th. Life certainly comes full circle—this is the same marathon that Jason ran eight years ago. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that I would follow suit.

I’ve found an 18-week online training schedule that I’m hoping will work. Designed for novices, this training program has you run four days a week, cross-train one day, and rest for two. The Saturday long runs taper back in distance every three weeks, building up to a maximum of twenty miles in week 15. While this training program is certainly intense, it’s not as difficult as many training programs that I’ve seen. I’m hoping that the time commitment will be comparatively moderate, allowing me to focus on my family, even while I pretend to be an athlete.

Truth to be told, I'm terrified of the 6.2 miles that remain after training for 20. While I may not know much about running, I’ve heard those final miles are positively beastly. I kind of envision them like birthing a baby. Even though you know it’s going to be excruciating, some things are best left unpracticed. I guess you just deal with the pain when the time comes, and trust that the end result will be worth it. Just as long as I don’t die. Seriously.

If any runners happen to be reading, I’m certainly open to any advice. Besides checking out a library book on marathons, I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. Running comes so naturally to Jason that he doesn’t have to worry much about it. On a good day, I’ll get him to carry water, but that’s about it.

(Me in my sheepish voice): Oh, and by the way, does anybody local just happen to want to watch my girls for a short spell this week so I can get in a quick run? I’d love you forever, or reciprocate babysitting, whichever you prefer. My darling hubby is out of town, and I hate to give up my training schedule so soon…

(I should be embarrassed by such a shameless, self-serving plea, but at least this way you can get out of kid care by pretending like you never read this far… Which you probably won’t, considering the length of this darned post… So whaddaya say we all just go to bed and get some sleep instead…) :)

5 comments:

Erin Gibbons said...

Hey Kara, thanks for the comment on my blog. As I started reading this post I totally thought that the desire to run a marathon must be kind of like the desire to try having a baby naturally but also being afraid to try, so it was funny when you talked about it being like having a baby! I think it's awesome you're going to do a marathon I know we'll be hearing a great post on how well you did in just a few months!

Becca said...

I am so excited for you! I have to admit I actually looked at this half marathon right after I finished mine because I wanted to do it again and better. I knew I wouldn't make it this year, but maybe in the future. you may have pushed me to train for the full:) Good luck. I would love to watch your kids, but it is a bit of a drive. Infact, I would love to trade kids for runs...I need that here:) I think you should move here!

Bruce Richards said...

Kara. Anytime you want to go running and I am home, I will watch your kids. Just let me know and don't feel bad about it.
Brittney or Bruce

Kristin said...

I'm so excited for you!! I know you can do it.

Bruce Richards said...

Don't be afraid to walk the last 6 miles.