Monday, February 01, 2010

Running Weirdness

Something very strange is happening to me. I ran 6.7 miles this morning, and I actually liked it.

When I first started training back in November, I seriously questioned my sanity in registering for a half marathon. Just making it through one mile was so difficult that I couldn't imagine thirteen. In contrast, running this morning felt so great that I actually mulled over the possibility of someday running a full marathon.

What is happening to me?

It's amazing to feel the benefits of regular exercise, even when it's hard. I logged about 40 miles in January, most of which were yucky and unpleasant on a treadmill. The rest were hard earned in some serious cold and snow. Still, I stuck with it.

The result? Endorphin-enhanced joy. January is usually a difficult month for me. Between the post-Christmas let-down and frigid gray weather, I almost always feel blue. This January, however, was happy and light. While running is tiring, I feel more energized during the day. The scales may not register a difference, but gaining strength has helped me feel less discouraged about my lingering baby belly. When I come home after a run, my mind is clear and I feel ready and capable to tackle the day.

Strange, but I like it.

10 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome! You almost have me convinced to try it! Actually, I think often about trying it, but I'm easing into it. For now, I'm just walking. That whole jiggly thing is a deterrent for me.

Chou said...

Hooray! I remember realizing in high school that it seriously evened out my mood swings. A good thing to know . . .

Susie said...

Another convert! I'm addicted to exercise, too, if you haven't noticed! (just not running!)

Tanja said...

I agree with Mrs. M. You almost have me convinced ... but I am still in training to even walk a bit faster on my tread mill for an hour each day. I wish you good weather and health!

Julie L said...

Great job!!!! I managed a little over 20 miles in January and thought I was pushing it. Of course, maybe 1/8 mile in all that was actually running. I don't do running well. Am happy to be trying to get a mile under 15 min walking. (I know, Susie, that's super slow stuff.) You're doing so well - and with three little ones including a baby, that is really impressive!!!

Becca said...

I am super impressed. Ineed to get running again. I just freeze out in the cold and the treadmill is still broken. I am amazed at how much I miss it. I am so glad you are doing so well.

The Favorite said...

WOW- Great for you. That is a long way to run, it makes me tired just thinking about how long. I can't wait to start running again (nursing makes me nervous.) It is strange how it is tiring,but give you energy at the same time.

Anonymous said...

"I believe that the Good Lord gave us a finite number of heartbeats and I'm damned if I'm going to use up mine running up and down a street."
~Neil Armstrong on jogging, in an interview with Walter Cronkite

Neil Armstrong took "one small step" on the moon ... I think there is considerable wisdom in his opinion of jogging.

-Keep Smiling!

Kara said...

Bah humbug, anonymous! Maybe a good jog would make it easier to keep smiling... :)

Kristin said...

Amen Sistah. Amen.