Thursday, February 25, 2010

Comfortable in Their Skin

As a Christmas present this year, my loving parents spoiled me with a YMCA membership. It's been wonderful! I've discovered that I love swimming, and that in a group class setting, I can actually tolerate strength and flexibility training. Kids play for free, and the girls' swim lessons now cost half as much. Better yet, the gym is only a block away from the preschool, so I've gotten into the routine of dropping them off at school, working out while Eli plays in the daycare, and then hanging out at our fantastic public library until it's time for pick up. How lovely!

Swimming at the Y, however, has taught me much more than how to paddle. I've witnessed the joy of being comfortable in your skin. In general, the crowd at the YMCA leans heavily toward the geriatric side, at least during the times I swim. While showering off in the locker rooms, I catch glimpses of women of every imagineable shape and size. I'm surrounded by women with rolls and dimples, love handles and pudge, an excess of hair or none whatsoever. Amazingly, all of these women are beautiful! They are comfortable in their skin, and they are happy. I've learned so much from watching their smiles and their ease, despite what the world might label as imperfections. These women have lived long enough to know that beauty comes from within, not without.

My only other experiences with a gym have been in a university setting. Overwhelmed by the seemingly flawless bodies of the sorority girls (half of whom have surgically "supplemented" mother nature's gifts), it was hard not to compare and feel dumpy. Swimming at the Y has given me a broader perspective. I, too, want to be comfortable in my skin and happy with my body--right now, this very moment, and no longer ten pounds from now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for supplying the skinny on skin Milkweed! I'm so comfortable in my own skin that I carry around plenty of extra as part of my 'year's supply plan.' Also, it helps to remember the classic folksong: "Oh you gotta have skin. All you really, really need is skin. Cause if you've got it outside it helps to keep your insides in. ... [rinse & repeat]"

Julie L said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I can now officially know I may be setting a good example for the cute young things who come to the gym, too. I admit there is a great deal of joy finally getting to the point where I just want to exercise for my health and don't worry at all about trying to look like a fashion model anymore. It makes such a difference.

Rachel and Todd said...

That sounds like such a wonderful routine. You are so uplifting!! Thanks for the post.