Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bagel Baking

Cooking and I have a love/hate relationship. While I certainly love to eat, I get tired of the relentless nature of meal planning and preparation: shop and chop, shop and chop, shop and chop. I confess that I often measure family dinners by the amount of mess created; as soon as you have one meal cleaned up, it's time to get going on the next. And let's face it--no matter how pretty it looks going in, it all looks the same coming out.

Yesterday, however, I decided to approach cooking differently. Instead of viewing it as a chore, I wanted to explore its infinite creative possibilities. (This is where I start quoting Ratatouille.) After all, when you cook or bake, you actually make something, and that's really cool. And hey, since it all gets digested eventually, you don't have to worry about indefinitely storing it--a plus for a family of five living in a two-bedroom townhouse.

The end result--BAGELS! I never would have imagined that I could actually make my own bagels (and still be sane at the end of the day.) While they do take a bit of time, they're not nearly as complex as I imagined. The end result was seriously tantalizing, if I do say so myself. The house smelled AMAZING as they baked. My daughter's friend came down the stairs four times in twenty minutes to ask if they were done yet. And tearing into one while it was still piping hot? A moment to be dreamed of.

The ultimate compliment came hours later when Jason didn't believe that I'd actually made them. Fortunately, the pictures double as proof.




Happy Baking!

9 comments:

Julie L said...

I've always wanted to make my own bagels. I'll bet they tasted like Heaven all warm and fresh! To be honest, I thought I was looking at a new post from Christy when I first opened your blog. You must share your recipe! (or at least a link to it if you found it on line)

Susie said...

Beautiful Bagels! My only experience with bagel making came from my roommates at college. The ones they made were as hard as rocks so I've never tried. I feel uncreative in many ways so I like to look as cooking as being a way to create (i.e. Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on creativity.) Jason's compliments help make it even more fun to do!

The Favorite said...

WOW- never made those, but now I have delicious motivation...

Crys said...

I love making bagels...seriously they are so good, and makeable ;)

Brian and Tonya said...

Oooh, those look yummy. Please do share the recipe. I have a husband that loves bagels and it would be great to be able to make them for him.

Bruce Richards said...

Are they boiling or frying in that picture?

Erin Gibbons said...

I'm so impressed with your bagels! I made some when I was a teenager, but they didn't turn out very well. We made them at RS in my old ward several months ago, and I've been planning to try them on my own ever since! (I thought again, yesterday, that I should make them, but then I bought some today :) Yours look GREAT! And I hear you about the job hunt. My cousin just got his bachelor's in CM in July and he and his Family of 5 are currently living with his in-laws looking for work. He looks online all the time all over the country and hasn't found anything! So, if you want to empathize with someone in the same boat, I can give you there number :) Shea hasn't found anything for his summer job either, and it's pretty much the same situation for lawyers right now as it is for architects. (Maybe a little bit better, I haven't heard of any law grads setting up a farmer's market booth, but I'd be willing to do it if my stand was next to the flower sellers, or the pie sellers.)

Chou said...

Woot! You've joined the food blogging foray. These look divine. :)

Erin Gibbons said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog :) You totally inspired me and I made bagels today! Then again, you always did inspire me so I guess nothing has changed! That's really true, I always looked up to you so much because I wanted to be just like you! (serving a mission, getting married, being just great in general! At least I've got the first two down!) Anyway, thanks for being a great example and a great friend! Your Family is beautiful! (And hi to Jason as well, I've always liked him too :)