Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Committed to Run

We're committed.

Last night Jason and I registered for the 2010 Illinois marathon, to be held right here in our hometown of Champaign-Urbana. Jason's running the full marathon, I'm running the half, and the girls are signed up for the 1K. Considering the no refund policy, barring any extremely unfortunate circumstances (like death), we'll be there.

In all honesty, the idea of running a half marathon terrifies me. 13 miles is an awfully long distance. I ran a half marathon in Moab with Jason in the days before kids, and it pretty much kicked my tush. (Or at least it killed my toenail, which fell off afterward from all of the trauma.) As for anyone running the full marathon, I salute you, I cheer you, I'm proud of you, and I absolutely cannot understand you. 26.2 miles is unfathomable to me. My entire 59 inch frame stands in awe and wonder. You're an inspiration to us all.

I have two goals for this half marathon: I want to run/jog/hobble the entire distance (last time I had to walk for a spell), and I want to finish before Jason. My zippety-quick hubby hopes to qualify for the Boston Marathon by running the race in about three hours. As long as I make it to the finish line first so that I can cheer him across, I will be happy.

Running is hard for me. Unlike for my husband, it doesn't come very easy or naturally. Yet even though it is difficult, I'd like to think it's worth it. While it may hurt to actually pound the pavement, I feel so much better afterward. I enjoy the time to be alone, breathe the fresh air, and take care of my body. Running strengthens me physically, emotionally, and even spiritually as I develop the willpower to set and accomplish really hard goals.

The Illinois Marathon: it's advertised as Fast and Flat. Well, I may not be fast, but I'm flat-out committed.

9 comments:

jennybhill said...

Awesome! We registered for the marathon relay yesterday, but I don't think that we'll finish before Jason! I'll do some babysitting swaps with you if you ever need it.

Jason said...

Oh boy... So, I hope nobody's too disappointed if I don't manage to finish anywhere close to the three hour mark. In addition to registering for the marathon, yesterday we also realized that my final design review for my Architecture degree is the day before. Which means I probably won't have slept in a week...

Well, they say whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I wonder who "they" is, and if "they" have ever run a marathon. Or finished a degree in Architecture. Or mothered three kids while an absentee husband finishes a degree in Architecture.

In any case, Kara is going to do awesome, and I wish I could be there to cheer her across the finish line. Her determined commitment inspires me in so many ways; running, and beyond...

Anonymous said...

I salute your whole family; youth is on your side and a family goal like this has awesome power. However, proper incremental training is very important. If I recall correctly, the first bloke to run a marathon died as a result of the experience. We all ought to have learned something from that ... but alas thousands of years later, thousands of people still run marathons. Finally, I hope you all remember to "keep smiling" as you run. Bye, Bye.

Crys said...

Oh Jason, you are built for speed. That is why every time I happen to run I curse you gazelle like creatures (mainly my very own Jason). I'm excited for you Kara and Jenny. I'm just going to run the 5K. I'm not crazy ;)

Julie L said...

I stand in awe of each and every one of you! Good luck with those great goals!

Kes LT said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UvxxYIv3U


I just had to post it... :)))))

Becca said...

that is so exciting. You inspired us and David is signed up to run the marathon and I am doing the half marathon so we will see you there. I wish we lived closer and could train together.

Chou said...

Congratulations!!!! You'll have a good time. Probably.

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you're in and that you joined me on dailymile! Our kids will also run the 1K, and the oldest may run the 5K if we can find her a friend to run with.

Honestly, I survived my half okay, but I am a little nervous about the full. I have no aspirations of qualifying for Boston...though I would love to finish in 4.5 hours, if I just finish upright I will consider it a success.