Friday, December 19, 2008

Wrapped in Love

As we were getting ready to put on pajamas tonight, Brooklyn told me that she had an idea for Family Home Evening. When I asked her what it was, the only thing she would tell me was that it was a surprise. As she pulled out the wrapping paper and scissors, I was tempted to tell her that she couldn't cut any because we didn't want to waste it. But, in a fit of holiday indulgence, I let her start cutting and watched what happened.

For fifteen minutes, she cut the paper into long narrow strips. I didn't think much of it as I bustled in and out of her room, tidying up for bedtime. Then all of a sudden she gathered the golden paper together and put it in a bin to make a bed for baby Jesus. She proceeded to dress herself as Mary and Talia as Joseph by using a some dish towels and a couple of Daddy's ties.

Gathering the family together, she insisted that we read the nativity story from the scriptures. It was such a sweet moment as our little family gathered by lantern light (a preschool project) to remember the birth of our Savior. In reflecting upon the experience, I realized that wrapping paper has never been more wonderfully used than to create a bed for our Lord.

1 comment:

Chou said...

Sniffle. Meah. Miss you!!!