Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Tree Trimmin' Time

I love Christmas. I shamelessly listen to holiday carols in August. While I refuse to break out the visuals before Thanksgiving, I love decorating the house and above all, trimming the tree.

This year I've wondered how we could bring the holiday spirit into our home since we don't have our usual stash of garland and lights. While staring up at our nine foot ceilings several weeks ago, I got an idea. I wanted a tree. A big tree. After all, when else in my life am I going to have such tall ceilings and an absence of furniture?

Fortunately my darling hubby was in favor of the idea. Today we went out and treated each other to an early Christmas present--a gigantic Christmas tree!

Logistically, just getting the tree home was quite the ordeal. We had to find a babysitter to watch the girls so that we could walk the kilometer to the shopping center and then lug the tree 1 1/2 kilometers back. (Yes, the return trip really was longer since we had to walk the long way around. Jason didn't want to tote the tree through the center of the mall--I can't imagine why.)





As you can see from the pictures, it was exhausting work. Yet seeing the top of the tree scrape our ceiling was worth it. Despite our limited budget, the tree makes me smile and feel wealthier than King Midas--I'm overflowing with the Christmas spirit. Our patriotic "red, white, and blue" theme (an IKEA special) reminds me of home, yet no one can accuse us of being too Ameri-centric. After, all France's national colors are the same!

Now we just have to pray that our tree stays alive. Nobody here has even heard of a Christmas tree stand that lets you water the tree. Instead, you simply wedge the trunk in half of a log and hope for the best. Here's hoping!

5 comments:

jennybhill said...

Wow, your tree really looks beautiful! Nice job. Just think, the only way to fit a tree that size in Winfield Village is to put it on the stairs!
You guys are great -- it's been fun to keep up with you on your blog (even if we don't comment much).
Rest assured we are taking good care of the dishwasher for you :)
Merry Christmas!!

Chou said...

It's so gorgeous! Maybe a big bucket AND a log together could create the ultimate tree watering machine?

Becca said...

I love the tree. What a great way to get in the holiday spirit and really enjoy the time. I hope it all goes well. I posted a really cute picture of Brooklyn and Camilla on my blog. YOu may have to scroll down a bit, but it is cute. Camilla always asks when Brooklyn gets to play again. So she looks at your blog and we both enjoy it together. OH,and she prays for Brooklyn everyday. I thought it was cute and I would share:)

Heather said...

Your tree looks lovely...I'm glad you took advantage of your space and filled it all! I can't wait to see even more picturs when you return!

Tanja said...

No water -- this must be a French thing .... definitely not European!! ... but then ... we (the rest of Europe) are still debating if French people are really Europeans ... they just like to be so so so much different from "the rest" of us. Ok - maybe "the rest" is just good old me and being German :) ... but I am pretty sure ... that any English person would say the same thing and let us not forget the people from the Netherlands, Benelux-States, Spain and Italy. :)