Monday, April 25, 2011

My Big Idea

Perfectionist tendencies can be both a blessing and a curse. Sure, it's positive to give your best, but perfectionism can also debilitate. It's so easy to procrastinate beginning a project, waiting until everything is just right. Fearing failure, we sidestep the hardest problems instead of embracing messy challenges.

And so it is with my "Big Idea" for service. Even though this idea has been percolating in my brain for a while, I've been hesitant to share it because my plans are so undeveloped. There are so many kinks to work out, so many adjustments to be made, so many concerns to be resolved. In other words, it's not perfect.

While it's tempting to delay taking action until my plans are fleshed out, I'm worried that procrastination will stifle the Idea until it dissipates completely. Over the past weeks, I've felt strongly impressed that I need to do more to serve. I've prayed sincerely and felt a few flashes of divine inspiration. And now, whether I feel prepared or not, it's time to act. I'm hoping that this blog will add an extra measure of accountability. I'm committing, and you're all welcome to follow up with me!

As much as we desire to better the world, it can be very difficult to know where to begin. For most of us, the best place to look is within our own sphere of influence. What needs exist in your own community? What skills and resources can you contribute? What are you passionate about?

While there are many worthy causes in St. George, I have noticed a particularly great need for increased cross-cultural understanding, communication, tolerance, and appreciation. When we moved here, I was ecstatic to learn that St. George had an elementary school with a dual-immersion language program. To me, the educational benefits of learning two languages was unparalleled. Perhaps this was because of my experiences as an international exchange student, perhaps because of our deep attachment to BYU's Foreign Language Student Residence (FLSR), perhaps because of my training as an ESL teacher, perhaps because of our sojourn in France, or perhaps simply because my parents have raised me to value the good in the "other." Up until now, Jason and I have largely been surrounded by those who shared similar values. Obviously our friends from the FLSR adore languages; likewise, in Illinois we were surrounded by very well-educated, broad-minded graduate student families who generally value language learning in a global community.

Here in St. George, many people value linguistic aptitude as well. The dual language school Dixie Sun is excelling, and I see wonderful things happening there every day. However, I have also encountered a great number of people who simply do not view bilingual education as additive education. They consider it a waste of time for their children to learn Spanish, and fear that their children will fall behind if enrolled in such a program. These surface concerns cover deep-rooted issues of prejudice and racism. Immigration issues are red hot, frequently peppering the front page of the local paper. I have been shocked by the open criticism of those opposing Dixie Sun, stating that they don't want their child to associate with those people. Many harbor the attitude that those Mexicans (because they're all Mexican, right?) need to speak English or get out. The dual immersion language program is shunned, not exactly because kids are learning another language, but because they are learning Spanish in particular. When the criticism is boiled down, an English-only attitude prevails. Anything else is pandering to the enemy.

I could spend pages dispelling these arguments, pointing to numerous studies linking bilingual education with higher rates of academic achievement and even increased cognitive ability. I could mention the increased marketability of those speaking multiple languages. I could alleviate fears that unless we stamp out all the foreignness, English will become a minority language in the U.S. Within a generation or two, regardless of what is spoken by parents or grandparents in the home, children invariably learn the host language. The only question that remains is whether or not the children will retain the rich language of their heritage.

In France, this concept was generally accepted, understood, and promoted. Even though the nation is bombarded by different languages on all sides--Spanish, Italian, German, not to mention English--it values the linguistic heritage of its immigrants. As much as we may mock L'Académie Française for its rejection of foreign influence on the French language, the French people in general understand how important it is to communicate in another language. I'll always remember how a government worker openly encouraged me to speak English with my children so they wouldn't lose their mother tongue.

Yes, there are so many reasons to value bilingual education, particularly at an early age. But perhaps the greatest reason of all is the one that is usually glossed over. Instead of learning Spanish to communicate better in the future, what about learning Spanish to better communicate right now? Obviously there are some major concerns that really need to be talked about. No matter what your stance on immigration, these problems aren't going to just disappear and go away. I strongly believe that the dialogue will be much more successful if understanding and communication happens both ways.

Thus, that is what I propose for my "Big Idea." I intend to start an adult education class at Dixie Sun elementary school that simultaneously teaches both English and Spanish. Even at Dixie Sun, I've noticed a gulf between the language-speaking communities. Each group tends to stick to its own because hey, those are the people they can talk to! Yet I know there are many Spanish-speakers who are desperately trying to improve their English, just as there are English-speakers who would like to learn more Spanish so that they can better support their children through school.

Instead of dividing into two separate groups, I am intentionally keeping all language learners together to promote ties of friendship. Everybody in the class will be a teacher; everybody will be a a learner. In a sense we will all be on equal ground as both experts and novices.

Logistically, there are all sorts of problems to work out, ranging from child care to a curriculum. But, I've talked to the principal and have his support, as well as a place to meet.

A language class won't solve world hunger. Still, I hope that my "Big Idea" can make a small contribution by fostering cultural understanding and appreciation, right within our own neighborhood.

The word is out--now it's time for me to get moving!

18 comments:

Kes LT said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

You can do it!!!

Callie said...

So proud of you - as ALWAYS. You win my vote as most inspirational sister!

Erin said...

Kara, we are in the process of trying to get Scott into a dual immersion program for Spanish/English in 1st grade. I think our chances are pretty slim, considering that the class was formed in Kindergarten and it is unlikely that someone will leave. Many of our friends have applied in the past and been rejected, simply because there are only 22 kids in the class and only half are English speakers.

I love your idea of an adult class. Keep us posted!

Jenika said...

That is an honorable and wonderful goal. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I like your big idea very much. You have always had the courage to take honorable risks, and have also enjoyed the blessings of service. My suggestion is to aim for excellence in this class. -- Excellence is attainable; perfectionism is paralyzing--at least in the sense we are discussing here. Some relevant quotations follow:

"A man,[or woman] would do nothing if s/he waited until s/he could do it so well that no one could find fault." ~John Henry Newman

"The human story does not always unfold like a mathematical calculation on the principle that two and two make four. Sometimes in life they make five or minus three; and sometimes the blackboard topples down in the middle of the sum and leaves the class in disorder and the pedagogue with a black eye." ~Winston Churchill

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing." ~Harriet Braiker

Julie L said...

I LOVE your idea! Wish I lived in St. George and could take advantage of it. I've also always wanted to learn Spanish and have often wondered why our literacy center teaches English speaking to Spanish but not Spanish speaking to English.

I do not think it's "giving in" to the enemy. I think it's understanding the enemy so we can become friends.

Talyn said...

One thing I have been ecstatic about here in our ward in Atlanta is the number of girls doing babysitting personal project goals. Perhaps you could tap into that market to solve one of your hang-ups.

I love, love, love your idea!

Ashlee said...

Wow! What a fantastic idea! Keep the updates comin'!

Susie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie said...

I know if I were living in your area I would definitely be enrolled. I've enjoyed the few Spanish classes I've taken here and there and the people I've been able to rub shoulders with in the process. You definitely have the skills, knowledge, and ability to do it.

CK said...

Okay. WOW! I LOVE, love, love, LOVE this idea! If I were in town, I'd take the class! Heck, now I want to offer a class in my own ward or something, lol. This sounds like a great opportunity.
There is a blog I follow by Maria Babin (she just recently made one of those little Mormon.org videos) where she talks a lot about raising her children in a tri-lingual home. She lives in France with her husband and 3 kids. They speak French, English and Spanish.
Anyway, she is the one who originally motivated me to start teaching my children spanish vocabulary at breakfast time and occasionally during the day (we try to pray in spanish and sometimes sing songs in spanish). Anyway, I find that I constantly have to come up with ways to motivate myself to use what little spanish I know. (http://busyasabeeinparis.blogspot.com/)
Anyway, great post, awesome idea, I'm so glad that the school principal is on board! Good luck and I can't wait for updates!

Maria Babin said...

CK sent me over this way and I'm very impressed! This is a wonderful idea, and I couldn't agree with you more, it won't solve world hunger, but it's the way I've also chosen to contribute to the world and I believe that it really does make a difference. My way is actually raising my children trilingual (Spanish, English, French). I live in France and I'm so happy that you had a positive experience regarding bilingualism and for the most part I have too, but ignorance exists everywhere and I've been confronted with it even here!

By the way, I also lived in the French house at BYU. Christy Wheeler Spackman was one of my roommates and we just saw each other over here in Paris a few weekends ago!!! I encourage you to submit this article to the next bilingualism carnival. If you are interested, please contact me. I'd love to have you come visit my blog as well. I've written several articles about raising children multilingually and multiculturally.

Looking forward to exchanging ideas!

Bisous,
Maria

Our Family said...

Such a great idea. The school I work at is starting dual immersion next year (Spanish). I have been embarrassed by the racial comments that have been made my many of the parents.

candice said...

Racial ignorance bugs me. A lot. What a great way to contribute to your community! I say go for it. One thing I love about St.George is how easy it is to do projects, someone always knows someone else, who knows someone who can help and magically things just get done. It is a VERY easy city to navigate. Good luck, if you need any help or references, I might be able to help. Hugs.

melanie said...

What an excellent idea! This is something that many dual languages desperately need. I once tried this and the number of participants were really low, but we kept up and we were able to increase class size! Keep the faith!

Kristin said...

Love it!! And I love to see people making a positive difference.

I TOTALLY support your dual language ideas and wish you the best successes with the class.

Anonymous said...

What an exciting idea! I would be so interested to hear more about how you plan to proceed. I know you're just in the beginning stage, but please post about your progress! What kind of curriculum will you come up with? And how will you implement it in the classroom?
I'm a (non-native) German language teacher and also raising my son bilingual. I'm always interested in hearing innovative ways to teach language!
What an ambitious project... and so worthwhile!