Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Running Into Big Ideas

I'm suffering from a touch of blogger's block at the moment. Sorting through pictures seems positively overwhelming--there are so many photos that I have no idea where to begin. I'm sure that the kids have done tons of cute things that I could write about, but I have mess-induced amnesia. (I quickly forget the adorable moments in the process of cleaning up their constant messes. By the way, does anybody else have children that concoct "soup" in their play kitchen with water, salt, pepper, jelly beans, and massive amounts of turmeric? AHHH! I still feel so lucky that it didn't spill all over the carpet.)

And so, I'll give a brief marathon training update, since training seems to be consuming my life anyway. I'm 8 weeks into training, with 7 weeks left to go. Each week I complete three smaller mid-week runs, followed by a long run on Saturday. So for example, during the first week I ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles Wednesday, 3 miles Thursday, and 9 miles on Saturday. Predictably, the distances increase each week.

So far, I've been quite diligent in adhering to my training schedule. As important as this preparation is for me physically, it's equally important mentally. Whenever someone starts to question whether I have any business running a marathon, I can answer wholeheartedly, "Absolutely." Tough as it may be, I'm committing the sweat, pain, and tears to be ready.

Even so, I'm starting to feel the accumulative weight of the miles wracking up. This morning, my "short" training run was 8 miles. Marathoner or not, I still think that's a long way! It's hard to imagine running double that distance on Saturday. I just have to keep reminding myself that I ran 15 miles last week. Whenever I start to doubt, I fall back on the training schedule to reassure myself that I really am capable.

All in all, this journey truly has been very positive. It's been wonderful to get out into nature and truly feel the desert bloom in spring. Running has allowed me to explore so many new paths and places. I love the colors and smells--jet-black lava rock, rusty red cliffs, white-capped mountains, green sage, cascading rosemary with lavender blooms, the bright fuschia of a cactus rose.

Running provides me with solitude and a much-needed chance for reflection. During my Saturday runs, I usually head up a dirt road in Snow Canyon State Park. Beautiful yet secluded, I commonly run for miles on end without passing another person. (Although on the way back down, I usually pass hikers from the nearby Biggest Loser resort. It always feel silly when they cheer, but I smile and wave anyway.) :)

With so much time for reflection, I've really had to work hard at controlling my Stinkin' Thinkin'. Trust me, if you have to run for 2 1/2 hours, it's much better if you think about something besides how much your feet ache. During last Saturday's 15 miler, I kept dwelling on the fact that if this were the marathon, I'd still have another 11 miles to go. A depressing thought. I suddenly was filled with the realization that I needed to deliberately focus on the positive--how far I've come instead of how far I have left to go. While 15 miles may not be 26, last week I ran farther than I'd ever run before. Even better, I wasn't hobbling around afterward. And come Saturday, I'll break that record yet again. That's progress!

Best of all, when I really release myself and find my own rhythm, my mind clears and makes room for inspiration. While running a couple of Saturday ago, I found my personal Big Idea for meaningful service. I'm looking forward to sharing it soon!

8 comments:

candice said...

Wow, you are amazing. 15 miles! woo hoo!! do you run with a headset in, or just run with your thoughts in tow? i really need to get in shape! although, i used to jog, i never really enjoyed it much (until it was done at least), but my typical 'easy' run was 3miles,that is pretty much what i did consistenty, i didn't have the patience for more :) (just enjoyed being in shape), i don't even think i could run a mile now, sooooo sad! (sorry this turned into all about me, when it should be all about YOU!) congrats on how far you've come and where you are going.

Our Family said...

OK so I am feeling inspired. Before I got pregnant with my Jarom I lost 90 lbs. I have a long way to go to be there again. I have six weeks of recovery and then I am going to hit the treadmill.

CK said...

Oh my goodness! I am training for a 1/2 marathon. I'm on six miles this week. I really have to mentally prepare for the big run all week. Last week I didn't think I could ever run 6 miles but this week I think it might be possible. 7, though? Out of the question!
15 miles? NOooooooo way ;) That is A-MAZING!!!! I am SO proud of you! and I don't even know you ;))))) GOOD LUCK! and good luck organizing all those photos too ;)
Thank you SO much for emailing me about the Haiti book. I'll get more info to you soon!

Brittney Richards said...

Good Job Kara!! I am thoroughly impressed.

Julie L said...

I think that is incredible! What a terrific challenge you are overcoming while some of us count mowing the lawn as our "big" race of the week. Way to go! I am looking forward to hearing about your Big Idea, too. Good luck with your continued preparation.

Anonymous said...

Dear Milkweed:
-You have always met or exceeded my expectations ... I'm so impressed by your discipline and rigorous goal setting. No matter how much "thinking" you do while running, it still takes courage and internal willpower to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
-And yes, Julie, I do consider mowing my hilly half acre lawn (by hand - with a self-propelled mower)to be a "big race" every week. After finishing the 2.5 hour mowing session last night (without a heart attack)I was tempted to take comfort in a bowl of ice cream. Oh, to be young again!
-Keep up the great work and your good example Kara. I'm also very thankful that Jason is so supportive of your goal ... In a real sense this is your family's goal since the kids still need to be accounted for along the way ... See you soon--Hope I can help.

The Favorite said...

Great job!!
When I run I keep saying to myself "things in motion stay in motion" and keep running.

Chou said...

Sweet! I'm absolutely terrified as I think of training for St. George 2011, and admit to hoping we don't get in, while hoping we do. You make me think I can believe in my ability to run more than 4 miles again. It's been a long time . . .