Thursday, May 05, 2011

Three More Pushes

When Eli was born, I remember the midwife telling me, just three more pushes and you're there. At the time, three pushes seemed both impossible and terrifying. (After all, since Eli was my second unmedicated childbirth, I knew what was coming...) How could such a small number seem so infinitely far away?

I feel like I've reached a similar point in my marathon training. Just three more pushes. The hop up to 18 miles, the jump up to 20, and the final leap of faith to reach 26.2. This marathon is so close, and yet still so distant.

Whenever panic starts to set in, I remind myself that this marathon is all about the journey, not a single race. No matter what happens on June 11th, I can take pride in how the process has changed me. (Well, figuratively at least. I've definitely lost all vain hopes that marathon training will melt away the winter pounds. Bummer.)

Back to the point, I really appreciate how marathoners pin their bib numbers on front. In track and field, runners are identified by the numbers on their back, made visible after they've crossed the finish line. Marathoners, on the other hand, are identified throughout the race, face to face, in the process of (be)coming. While the finish line is certainly welcome, the race is primarily about the journey, not the destination. Success is measured by conquering the distance, not by numbers on the clock. Indeed, while most of us stand in awe of those running five-minute miles, the elite who finish in two and a half hours are nearly as amazed by the persistence of those still running after five hours.

As frightening as this Saturday's 18 mile-run may seem, lately I've become equally scared that my training's not enough. Not far enough, not rigorous enough, not frequent enough. Compared to many marathon training schedules, my schedule has been quite easy and relaxed. Plenty of hills for sure, but no interval training, no tempo runs, not even any fartleks. (Jason tried to explain the theory to me, but I couldn't stop giggling at the name. With a title that embarrassing, I figured I'd best stay away completely.)

Whenever I start to feel sheepish about the 30 miles I run a week as compared to the 60-80 miles many marathoners commit, it helps to remember my purpose. While there are still days that I don't believe "Fun" and "Run" belong in the same sentence, I am a recreational runner. Moreover, I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, an educator, a musician, a gardener, a chef, a writer, a chauffeur, an organizer, and a wealth of other titles as well. While running is a part of me, it does not define me. My training schedule may be modest for a marathoner, but it is perfectly matched for me and my family. Any more and we would lose balance.

Three more pushes. You know, when you're having a baby, it's important not to push too hard or something might tear. Similarly, it's comforting to know that we need not run faster than we have strength--even if we are training for a marathon.

10 comments:

nrma said...

Wow Kara! How do you ever fit marathon training into your busy lifestyle? Maybe it fits in easy, because your whole life style is a marathon! Ha! I'm real proud of your achievements, & especially of the wisdom in how to handle it all.

Julie L said...

I voice my vote with Grandma H. How you ever fit time to do 30 miles is amazing to me! You're analysis of your life is so insightful and I always learn from it. Thank you. Good luck with the last three pushes!

Julie L said...

Oops - wish it would let me go back and edit. That was supposed to be "your analysis..."

Amanda/Mandy said...

Wow! It sounds like you're doing great. Would an old comp be a welcome person at the finish? I'm in the Provo area again and would love to cheer for you.

Brittney Richards said...

Excellent work Kara! You will do great. I know that you can do it because you are tough like that. Let me know what else I can do to send encouragement your way.

jennybhill said...

These are great thoughts. I admire your running, and that you have it in balance with the rest of your life.
I once asked my sister-in-law to compare natural childbirth to running marathons (since she's done a few of both). I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on that after the race.

jennybhill said...

So, regarding my comment, I guess you already shared many of your thoughts along that vein...maybe after the race, you can just share which is easier: the marathon or giving birth :) haha

Anonymous said...

Since I'm an anonymous man, I'll foolishly supply a relevant "male" perspective on this childbirth discussion. In short, the sympathetic labor pains experienced by us expectant men may well be as severe as those of the mother who is laboring in "natural" or "unmedicated" childbirth. [Yeah, right you say!].

Well, if you are a bit skeptical, consider the following entry on Couvade Syndrome in the nearly infallible Wikipedia source [choke]:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couvade_syndrome

So Kara, while you are training and running your marathon, remember how hard it is for Jason, who will be enduring "sympathetic labor pains" while simultaneously "pushing" three young tornados around in an organized and loving way. Oh, to be young again! -- For some odd reason, Cathy Ann, never believed my "this hurts me, as much as you" statements either. BTW: I DO NOT recommend this statement be used by any husband at ANY time. Keep Smiling!

Kara said...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. It gives a gal a little extra umph to keep on going. Mandy, it'd be great to see you at the race! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for a friendly and familiar face.

Susie said...

We think you are doing just awesome in your training and in keeping your perspective through it all. I, too, am impressed by those who train and then participate in the actual event. That is a long distance to go, yet look how far you've made it so far! You are almost there!! We are cheering for you, even though it is long-distance. Maybe next weekend we can cheer you as you do your next big run!