Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Run Bike Swim Cook 2010

Attention all Ironman triathletes and chefs! The third annual Run Bike Swim Cook challenge has officially begun! My amazing sister-in-law is co-hosting this year's RBSC challenge on her equally amazing food blog.

While I recommend that you visit balancefood.blogspot.com for all the juicy details, here's a basic summary of the rules:

You have 28 days (or the entire month of February) to complete any or all of the following fitness challenges:

1) Run 26.2 miles
2) Swim 2.4 miles
3) Bike 112 miles
4) Create a yummy dish using the superfood of the week (and blog about it.)

While I've cheered the RBSC chef-athletes in the past, this is the first time that I've officially committed myself to participating. I'm right on track with the running and I think the swimming will go well too. I'm less confident about the biking, however. I have a hard time getting miles in on a stationary bike (ie, I get bored out of my mind), but I'm also not a fabulous cyclist and feel nervous biking long distances on open roads. So let me know if you have any suggestions about good places for cycling in the area.

As for the cooking, well, I generally prefer to leave that domain to the experts. However, I was inspired by the first challenge: Beans for Breakfast. While we typically don't combine the two, we do do beans and we certainly do breakfast.

And so today I fixed black bean and zucchini pancakes, topped with egg, salsa, sour cream, avocado, and a touch of cilantro. I was tempted by the yummy toppings while reading a recipe for black bean and chorizo breakfast tostadas. Unfortunately, I was turned off when I saw the 30 fat grams per serving. While probably not as flavorful as chorizo, the bean and zucchini pancakes made a much healthier base, and seemed more appropriate for this fitness challenge.

Kinda looks like a turtle.

Breakfast is served!

(Okay, I confess... We ate these at night, but we eat breakfast for dinner so often that I hoped we could get away with it.)

3 comments:

Julie L said...

AM I insane? I want so bad to join the rest of you with this terrific challenge! I can't run, but I can swim and I can bike. Does walking count? The real bummer is my lack of cooking facilities. That wipes me out of the competition right off the bat. OK, I will just have to be content to be a cheerer. You need those don't you? So here I am, cheering you all on and loving your little turtle breakfast/dinner with the beans!

Chou said...

Aunt Julie, do whatever you can! :) You can walk!!! You can do one of the four, or two, or just cheer.

Kara, these sound sooo good. I just made the 20 mile biking mark this week and must agree BORING (especially indoors), but I get some good reading done if I go slow.

Brianna said...

We're so glad that you've joined the ranks! The beanzinni pancakes look delicious.