Thursday, August 20, 2026

Day 12: San Sebastián

While our aventuras en españa were so legendary that I wish they'd lasted much longer, for the sake of catching up on this blog I'm glad that they didn't.

Even though most of Day 12 was spent in San Sebastián, we started off the morning with a run along the river in Bilbao, just Brooklyn did so often with Hermana Takahashi. Brooklyn says she doesn't like her hair in a super high bun, but I think it's adorable!

Less than a mile away, and we found ourselves jogging past the Bilbao Guggenheim--so iconic!

We also talked Brooklyn into knocking on the door of her old missionary flat. 

Hermana Robinson was so excited to see her! Talia and I were super impressed by the number of stairs she trekked up and down each day, plus the piso is outrageously close to the Guggenheim.  Like a block away, literally. She'd told us as much, but it was still hard to believe that they lived in such a prime location.

Apparently the Puppy was in the process of receiving its bi-annual makeover.




Brooklyn's a running queen! She and I are planning to run the Haunted Half in Provo this October. :)

She also took us by the chapel. Once again, amazing property right in the middle of the city.

Crammed in an elevator? No, Jason talked us all into squeezing into a photo booth we found in the mall we parked at in San Sebastián. 

Our first priority? Meet up with her beautiful companion, Hermana Barber! Hermana Barber was at the very same stage of her mission as when she and Brooklyn were first companions. The trainee is now a trainer, making Hermana Wheeler a grandma.

You can't fake this kind of joy. 

Naturally we all gathered for pizza. It was absolutely amazing, even without the pineapple.

Did I mention we ordered all the pizzas? Gosh, I wish I could teleport back there right that instant. Those pizzas were so good, and I am so hungry. (Not to get too far off topic, but working in pediatric homecare, my daily cuisine is limited to whatever I grab out of the fridge or pantry at five am. Today was slim pickings, so lunch consisted of lemon pepper tuna  packet and a banana cream instant oatmeal that I ate dry...)

These hermanas are the cutest.

Sadly for Hermana Barber and her companion, the playa was off limits. For us tourists, however, it was the perfect way to enjoy the afternoon. This sand art creation was amazing! Here's a process picture followed by one of the final creation.


The water was superb, so we didn't tarry in the sand too long.

Oh wait, I guess the boys did a bit. Mostly they were just trying very hard to keep their eyes strategically averted from some topless situations. Kind of impossible, but I appreciate the effort.


Brooklyn helped Eli with his dribble castle. I was impressed by the bridge!


Best family ever.

 
Also, just keeping Annika alive is tricky some days. Every time we turned around she was swimming fearlessly father and farther away from shore. This gal is a minnow! But sadly without gills, so more swim lessons might be helpful. Swim endurance was super hard pre-transplant so we never did a lot.

Back to land, here are some beautiful shorts of San Sebastian. Right on the border between Spain and France, this is a place I would gladly call home forever.


Especially given the gelato. There was a huge line that was worth every minute of wait. I'd show you photos (would you like a sweet treat, Talia?), but we devoured it too quickly.

Later in the evening we tried to go see el Faro de Gorliz (a lighthouse), but the trail was closed. Fortunately we still had our trusty cheeseboard and an assortment of treats for our picnic.

Hanging out at the waterfront was delightful. The heat of the day melted away, leaving the air salty fresh and calm.

Here's our remarkable Talia. Just days away from becoming a missionary, I know she had so much to reflect on.  With waves lapping at her feet, I hope she felt a piece of God's love for her.
 

Out of all our beach expriences, I think this one was Annika's favorite.
Life really is beautiful.

No comments: