Monday, May 17, 2021

Happy Belated Birthday, PB!

I recognize that this must be an annoying blog to read.  Nothing for months on end, and then a ridiculous flurry of posts.  The good news is that when I print the blog books, the timing matters less.  It always makes me happy to see the kids pull old books off the shelves and reminisce.  Often they read about moments they were too young to remember.  In many ways, they learn about themselves through these posts.  And let's be honest--while I rarely take the time to do so, I deeply enjoy going back and reading as well.  So even though these "catch up" posts may be a hassle, they are worth it to me.  I'm just hoping to get caught up soon because summer adventures are on the horizon, plus I'm taking chemistry.  The term technically starts today, so it's time to get organized.

Jason's birthday!  At the end of March my youthful husband clocked another year, not that he looks it.   We celebrated by getting our first COVID vaccinations.  Huzzah!

For any fence-sitters who wonder whether or not they ought to vaccinate, may I please remind you: free Krispy Kreme donuts for a year.  If doing the right thing for your global family isn't enough motivation, the donuts should be.  Totally worth it.  Also, I'm really glad we don't live anywhere near Krispy Kreme.  That would be bad news for my waistline.

Speaking of calories, we showered my thin husband with love on his birthday by fattening him up.  Here he is enjoying meat pie for breakfast.  Note his preferred cranberry to pie ratio of 1:1.

Dinner was pie as well--pizza pie!  We filled the house with Wheelers: Charles, Susie, Christy, Ben, Justin, Brianna, and Ruby--then did a side-by-side taste test of Pi Pizzeria, Chicago style deep dish for Papa Del's, and a thin New York slice from the Big Apple.  While they were all tasty, the NY slice may have been my personal favorite.  

Following the pizza pies, we broke out the dessert pies, of course.  Thanks to Grandma Susie, Christy, and Brooklyn for their delectable contributions!  Needless to say, we dined well.

Speaking of dining well, while Ben and Christy were in town, they cooked us an amazing Mexican meal of salmon over black bean puree with tomatillo salsa, fried plantains, and sweet potatoes.  Um, yum!  I'm drooling at the memory.


Back to Jason's birthday, the room was festive thanks to the kids discovering that balloons will stick to the ceiling for hours given enough static electriicty.

Opening a few gifts.  (Thanks Adam and Callie!  I love how the poster matches the wooden bike on top of the piano that the kids and I gave.)

For Jason, the very best gift was getting to go skiing up at Brighton.  Since it can be hard to see beyond all the layers, from left to right we have Christy, Justin, Brooklyn, Ben, Eli, and Talia.

Meanwhile, Annika was giving Ruby some tips on the bunny slopes.


It's amazing to see the world go full circle.  Nice work, Rubes!


We couldn't have asked for a better ski day.  The snow and weather were perfect, plus Brighton has the best tree skiing.


This lot sure loves skiing with their Dad!  


While it was snowy up in at the resort, the foothills were sunny spring.  We took Christy on a walk up to the lime kiln, along with our friend Melanie.



Here's Jason explaining the history behind this historic kiln.  I adore how curious Jason is about the world, eager to learn about everything, and just as eager to share what he learns.

Taking a breather at the top.


Happy belated birthday, Peanut Butter!  You are loved by so many, in large part because of all the love you bring into this world.  I know your schedule is exhausting--just know we are rooting for you and here when you need a nap.  Love always, Jelly

No comments: