Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Tally Wally Doodle

Aw gee, I might get all teary-eyed writing about our Talia.  You see, I dropped her off early this morning at Brighton Beehive camp.  My baby gal's gonna be gone all week.  I suppose she's not much of a baby any more.  I hate to admit it, but she is now taller than I am, even without heels. As far as camp goes, I'm sure she will rock it.  We ran across this photo of Talia backpacking at Girl Scout camp last year while flipping through the program booklet at the GSU annual meeting.

So what was Talia up to this spring?

Plenty of homework, but at least Spark kept her company.

She performed front and center in the Wasatch musical, Space Pirates.  So cute!

The director, Ms. Penny Caywood, does an exemplary job of supporting these kids.

We loved how Talia saved us seats.

In case you can't see, this is what the notes on our reserved chairs said.  Yes, Talia, we are, and always will be, your people.  So many thanks to Grandma Susie and Grandpa Charles for coming to support her performance.

Definitely worth the trip.



By the way, Talia has an adorable fifth grade twin.

Just for the record, Talia doesn't always look this cute.  Here is the selfie she chose for the Wasatch Arts Showcase.  Silly, scary, or constipated: I'm not sure.


Some more of Talia's art.  Can you pick out which is our front door?



Greek tragedy masks.

Jabberwocky book art.

Like a wizard portrait, Talia's drawing of J.K. Rowling seems to be watching.

Talia's artist statement made me cry.  
  "One of my favorite art projects I've ever done was probably the mandala.  The mandala is an art project where there are four circles, starting small and growing in size, like a target.  Inside the first circle, you draw something that represents you.  I drew a ball of yarn, because I'm crafty and enjoy knitting and crocheting.  In the second ring you draw something you fear.  My fear is slightly funny.  I fear getting in trouble, so I drew pointed hands, like someone is being scolded.  For the third ring, you draw your strengths or how you overcome your fear.  For this ring I drew a mountain range because being in nature helps me calm down and appreciate things in the world, which I consider a strength.  The last ring was meant for what you want to be when you grow up.  This ring was difficult for me because I'm not exactly sure of what I want to be when I'm older.  I drew an apple--part of me wants to be a teacher when I grow up.  I also drew a pile of books because this stands for a few things.  It could stand for being a librarian, author or even editor.  Part of me wants to be all these things so I chose this.  The mandalas were a huge pain to complete, but I really liked the look of the final result.  I liked this project because it wasn't just pencil on paper.  We put a lot of thought into what we drew, and it was very personal.  It was like putting a chunk of yourself on paper."
When did my daughter become so wise?

In February, Talia started taking violin lessons at the Gifted Music School. (Lame name, but outstanding instruction and extremely close to home.)  Here she is before her very first performance.

Talia with her instructor Caryn Bradley during her first studio recital.

Talia worked extremely hard and flew threw Book 1 of Suzuki.  She had her Book 1 recital in June, playing all of the pieces by memory.  Brooklyn wrote a fantastic script to introduce the pieces. I am so proud of my girls and the amazing young women they are.

Speaking of proud, Talia auditioned to give an Endgame-themed speech at her sixth grade promotion and did a tremendous job.  I guess I was so busy taking a video that I forgot to take a picture, but here's her class singing a farewell song.

Talia's teacher, Ms. Parker, was the perfect match this year.  We felt so blessed that all of our children were surrounded by teachers who truly care.


One proud dad.

Great friends, all headed to different schools next year.

Sisters are truly the best.

Who knew my heart could feel so much love?


'K, Talia.  We concede.  You are totally amazing, from the inside out.
Now please stop growing and be my baby a moment longer.  Love you a million stitches!

No comments: