Sunday, March 24, 2019

Happy Boto Dolphin Birthday, Annika!

I think my favorite part of this blog is how it encourages me to write down the funny things our kids say.  Since my memory short-circuits, I'm grateful this blog helps me retain these gems before they slip away permanently.  Here's a recent favorite.  After going in to wake up Annika with a morning hug, she told me to be careful.

"I'm a narwhal.  I have a huge tooth growing through my upper lip."  Annie Narwhal hung around for most of the morning until suddenly she ran over to slap the narwhal picture hanging above her bed.  "Zap!  I'm a human again.  Now you can kiss me."

Annika spends quite a bit of time transforming into penguins, narwhals, puppies, and horses.  Her lifetime ambition is to be a veterinarian, and if you happen to share a chairlift with her, she will most assuredly ask you about your pets.  She created a habitat to save the ants that have appeared in our bathroom, and was late for church this morning because she was trying to rescue the drowned worms on the sidewalk.  The other evening we read a book about giant squid, after which she was quite disappointed to discover that she couldn't go pet one in an aquarium.  ("I'd give it a giant hug!"  "I'm sure it would hug you right back...")

Out of all God's creations, Annika's favorite is still the dolphin.  And so, it was little surprise that for her sixth birthday, she chose to have a dolphin party.

Leading up to Annika's birthday, there was a bit more drama than I would have preferred.  Grandma Susie and Grandpa Charles came down to celebrate and bring Annika her present, but in the excitement Annie ran full speed into the living room window and put each arm through a pane of glass.  Fortunately the curtains were closed and she wasn't hurt.


Then the stomach flu swept through the family and we had to postpone her birthday party.  This was the picture I took after sharing the news.  She loves gymnastics, so I thought that telling her right after might help, but no such luck.


Then I had to work late on her birthday so Jason took the kids out to eat at Cafe Rio.  She fell off the stool and bit her lip.  Here you can see the mark from where it went all the way through to the other side.


Fortunately, there were upsides too.  Annika loved  the color-changing horse from Grandma Susie and Grandpa Charles.


Her pony was even invited to share monkey bread with us for her birthday breakfast.


At Cafe Rio, they gave Annie a free birthday dessert.

Plus, a neighbor brought over a birthday balloon.


 Kindergarten birthdays are the best because you get to wear a birthday crown.

 Even though the party was postponed, we still got to eat cake... (Thankfully it freezes well.)

...and open presents.  (Thanks Wilhoits!  Can't wait to play it with you.)

Pie Face Cannon is a blast you won't forget.  :)

Back to Annika's birthday, after a week of waiting, party day finally arrived.  Talia helped make the best dolphin toss game ever.
Each party guest got to play with a dolphin of her very own.  

Brooklyn was fantastic at organizing party games.

Ruby is one flexible dolphin diver!

Fishy fun.

Our very youngest party guest.  Isn't she a sweetie?

Here's her Dad, all dressed up as Annika's favorite mascot, the pink boto Amazon river dolphin.

Cake time!  The Dollar Tree really came through for our tablecloth.

Pinterest for the win for the rest of our tasty treats.  These were SO easy to make and pretty darn adorable, if I do so say so myself.


Happy Sixth Birthday, Annie Mae!
Your morning snuggles brighten my entire day, even if I do have to watch out for narwhal tusks.  Thanks for bringing so much sparkle into our lives.

1 comment:

Susie said...

So fun to see all the pictures from her prolonged celebration. How lucky for her! So glad she is part of our family 😊.