Friday, February 26, 2016

RSBC Week 3: Yogurt!

Yogurt!

Or should I say go, go, gogurt, because our lives are crazy on the go right now.  (Which might explain why this post is late--my apologies.)  The strange thing about working with fermentation is that it can't be rushed.  In an electronic world of instantaneous feedback, these little bacteria force us to slow down and remember life's more natural rhythms.

Making yogurt lasted all day but took no time at all.  I was amazed at the simplicity of the process--heat milk, let cool, stir in a bit of yogurt starter (and cream if you're feeling decadent), and stash in a warm place for the next 6-12 hours.  I stuck mine in the oven with the oven light on and forgot about it until the kids were in bed.  When I pulled it out for a late night snack, I was astonished by how well it had set.  Amazing--it worked!  And here I though making yogurt would be hard.

Here's the yogurt after the initial set.  I was surprised that it was firm enough to hold its shape without even chilling.  (BTW, that first spoonful was yummy too.)

Such a treat deserves to be shared.  Even though Jason and I almost never eat in our bedroom (like, maybe a handful of times on twelve years of marriage), I insisted that we snuggle in for our inaugural yogurt-eating experience.  It had been a rough day.

As for the rest of the week, my dreams of really digging in were thwarted by a kid who was home sick from school for three days, plus parent teacher conferences for the other two.  I really don't know if I'll manage to finish in time, but at least it's leap year so I get 24 more hours.

Here's the week totals:
Run: 3.8 miles (7.2 left)
Swim: 1 mile (.2 left)
Bike: 10 miles (37 left)

Um, yeah.  Wish me luck--I'll need it!

Week 4 Cooking Challenge: Kefir.  Make something with it, or grow your own from grains if you are feeling particularly daring.  I've been playing around with mine for a few weeks now and have plenty to say (but not all of it positive.)  Stay tuned and I'll vent soon.

1 comment:

Susie said...

Sorry about the sick one. 🤒 The yogurt looks like it was great! 😋 Dad used to make yogurt when he was on his mission but I have never tried. Never too late to start, right?