Monday, May 23, 2011

Don't Hate Me...

Please don't hate me when I tell you that yesterday's 20 mile run to the end of Snow Canyon was...

Splendid.


Invigorating, peaceful, meditative, empowering, uplifting, beautiful--so many words to describe a run that I've feared ever since I saw it on the training schedule.

Even now, the contrast is startling for one who's hated running most of her life. Until recently, running was awful. Exhausting, tedious, monotonous, pointless, difficult, and downright painful. It's difficult to overstate my antagonistic attitude towards all things athletic as a child. If you had told me ten years ago that someday I would train for a marathon, I wouldn't have believed you. If you had told me that I would run twenty miles and enjoy it, I would have dropped you off at the nearest psychiatric hospital.

So what has changed? Running hasn't. It's still one foot in front of the other, facing off fatigue and discomfort. Yet somehow, somewhere in the journey, I have changed. Instead of avoiding the physical challenge, I embrace it. Each time I forge ahead instead of giving up, I feel stronger--not so much physically as mentally, even spiritually.

We are capable of so much more than we realize! Running has opened my eyes to a world of growth and potential--in every field. After all, if Milkweed can manage a marathon, anything is possible.

A couple of weeks ago, our family volunteered as pointers for St. George's Ironman competition--2.4 miles of open water swim, followed by 112 miles of grueling biking, all before starting a full marathon run. Despite unbelievable pain and exhaustion, the athletes continued on for twelve, fourteen, even sixteen hours before they finally reached their goal. Insane as these athletes may be, watching them persevere was inspirational. I realized that we are shackled most not by others, but by the limits we place on ourselves.

So what is your impossible dream? The crazy feat you think you could never accomplish but still long for? Maybe it's time to dust off that instrument or those dancing shoes or that writing pen and find out where you can go if you keep putting one foot in front of the other.

After all, once you've got some splendid momentum, it seems like a pity to taper.

8 comments:

Julie L said...

Terrifically motivational! You are so awesome. Thanks for the insight. Do you mind if I copy this post as long as I keep reference to you as the author? For me it is not a marathon, but rather a simple long walk ... to the top of Mt. Timpanogos. I was starting to give up. Thanks for helping me realize it's still doable. And good luck with your continued training.

Erin said...

This is fantastic. I confess that I'm mostly still in the camp of not liking running, BUT I am going to do a 5K this summer. Now that I'm more active anyway, I think running will be much more likeable. I can run all the way around my block without having to stop and rest - this is progress:)

Kara said...

Glad you liked my midnight ramblings, Aunt Julie and Erin. OF COURSE you can copy this post, Aunt Julie. And long as the trek may be, I totally believe you came it to the top of Timp. Good luck!

Brittney Richards said...

Wow Kara!! That's awesome. Maybe I need to change my attitude about running, and I might experience the same joy you do. I don't think I will be going on any 20 mile runs anytime soon, but perhaps in about 6 months. :) Thanks for the inspiration and motivation.

Ben said...

Grrr. There's some definite jealousy/frustration on our end, as both C and I are temporarily (we hope!) injured, and not running at all :(

Kara said...

Oh, Ben and Chou--so sad! Every day I thank my lucky stars that I've somehow avoided serious injury before knocking on wood once, twice, and yet again in the hopes of fending off the running curse. May you both heal quickly!

Susie said...

What wonderful insights, Kara. You, also, have me thinking about the many things I avoid because they seem too hard, and wondering what I should try to tackle. You have accomplished incredible things in the training and I'm sure the run will be a great experience! Wish I could be there!!!

CK said...

20. miles. crazy! I have no idea what it feels like to train for a full marathon- but- as I've trained for the 1/2 marathon coming up next week, I've also learned to enjoy a bit of running. I told my husband last night that TRAINING is half the fun. The slow build up of miles reinforces to your mind over and over that you can do more than you thought you could. Last night I ran 6 miles and shrugged it off as no big deal when 2 months ago I thought that goal was insurmountable. It is amazing to see your body adjust and accomplish such a feet. Way to go on 20 miles!!!!!