Wednesday, August 04, 2021

When in Doubt, Eat Gelato

 I'm not quite sure what I want to say, only that I want to capture the emotions of this moment.  I'm hoping I will look back and chuckle about how stressed I was, and how I shouldn't have been because it was all going to work out.

Two days ago, we got back from a great big trip.  Four and a half days from now, we will be embarking on an even bigger trip!  Not great timing, if I'm completely honest.  I'm completely travel weary, but when your hubby is willing to take nearly three weeks off work to travel to Europe, you just go for it.

Early Monday morning we depart Salt Lake City.  If all goes well, we will arrive in Milan, Italy around 8am on Tuesday.  We found great airfares back in March and took a leap of faith that Europe would open up in time.  We booked tickets for a similar trip a year ago, but that didn't work out for obvious reasons.  Fingers crossed that we make it this time!  It's just a few days away, and still doesn't feel real.

Traveling during Covid times isn't easy for anyone, but it feels fairly doable for those \who are vaccinated, at least if we are willing to fill out a ton of paperwork.  For Annika and Eli, the process will be much more complicated and involve lots of testing.  In order to travel to Italy, they must have a negative Covid test result from an antigen or PCR test taken less than 48 hours before arrival.  Complicated, when you consider that we will be traveling for 24 hours, and the day before that is Sunday!  We thought we had it figured out through Walgreens, but just today I learned that there is a shortage of Rapid Antigen Tests stemming all the way back to the manufacturer.  No rapid tests available anywhere!  I even looked into driving all the way back to Rock Springs, Wyoming to test.  You know, because I love I-80, but alas, nada.

Testing at the airport seemed like our last option.  Since we have a lengthy layover in Newark, we scheduled two tests to the tune of $250 per person.  Ouch!  It also means leaving the terminal and going through security all over again.  Yuck.  Plus, will they even let us fly to Newark without test results in hand?

Fortunately, Brooklyn did some more research and found a clinic in South Jordan that can test Annika and Eli on Sunday.  Their earliest appointment was at 6:00 pm, but that will work for us!  Never has $75 out of pocket sounded so affordable.

Other complications.  We have to travel light--I mean really light.  We booked Basic Economy fares on United Airlines, which generally includes only a personal item that tucks under the seat.  Since ours is an international flight, I think we get a carry-on as well, but we are only bringing two small roller bags for the six of us since we are flying two budget airlines, Ryanair and Wizzair, in order to see our great friends, the Vedeckienes in Lithuania.  From what I hear, these airlines are really strict about their luggage allowances.  We are so excited to finally make it to Lithuania after years of dreaming, but the extra air travel certainly makes travel more complicated.  We are trying to save on every inch of space.  I even asked my husband to buy some mesh undies because they pack up smaller!

Annika and Eli will have to get Covid-tested again in Italy, then once again in Lithuania to fly back to Italy. Oh, and did I mention we are driving to France?  It seems that those under 12 may not need Covid tests to get into France, but we will need to arrange for more testing while we are there so we can drive back to Italy.  And while we are in Italy, we will all need COVID tests in order to fly back to the United States.  We actually purchased those COVID tests ahead of time and have to bring them with us.  You know, because we have so much extra room in our luggage.

My biggest fear is that we will pick up the Delta variant and get stranded in quarantine.  That would certainly be an adventure!  Even if travel goes smoothly, it will be pretty chaotic when we get home since we will have missed the first week of school.  These past couple of days have been crazy trying to get everyone registered for when we get back (myself included.)  Oh, and did I mention that Brooklyn, Talia, Eli, and Jason all have Youth Conference Friday and Saturday?  Annika will likely go camping with the Wheeler family at the same time, but I will probably stay home to get us prepped to leave.

In those moments when I wonder whether it is worth the stress and expense, I remind myself of all the amazing places we hope to experience-Vilnius, the Baltic Sea, Milan, Florence, the Cinque Terre, Mont Blanc, Marseilles, les Calanques d'en Vau, and of course Lyon.  More than the places though, it's really about the people.  We are excited to reconnect with the Vedeckis family and Annie from Lyon.  We are excited to reconnect with each other.  In all of our busy comings and goings, sometimes we miss out on being a family.  I'm excited to escape the constant demands of work and church and focus on one another.  I know that things won't always run smoothly, but with the right attitude, it can all be part of the adventure we share together.  It's not about the what, but rather the who and the how.  Plus when in doubt, there's always gelato.

No comments: