Thursday, July 15, 2021

Beginning the Journey: Salt Lake to Cleveland

Okay folks, I’m trying something new! I don’t particularly enjoy composing text on my phone (hence my aversion to Instagram). However, we are currently road tripping so I’ve got time. I thought I’d attempt a daily update rather than an enormous photo dump at the end.

Monday:  Left Salt Lake at 6:00 am on the dot, kissed Jason farewell, and drove all the way to Omaha. The trip was a bit boring, but blissfully uneventful. Brooklyn drove two long shifts.  Insurance premiums aside, I love having a teenage driver.  Arrived  at dusk to a great dinner of chicken noodle soup and Parmesan zucchini.  Thank you NomiAnn and Papa Kay for making us so welcome!

Tuesday:  Tuesday was a down day, spent relaxing and regrouping for the next stage of the journey. Annika hunted for bugs with the neighbor kids next door, Brooklyn and Talia both had zoom music lessons, and Eli helped clean up apples from the yard.  Talia’s violin bow broke, but we were able to get a swift repair from our friend Cy Amesquita. In the evening, Brooklyn, Talia, and Eli all went to an outdoor movie night at Scott Wilson’s house. The rest of us opted for an early bedtime before the next day’s travels.




Wednesday:

Back in the car bright and early once more.  This time we gave Omy (our Honda Odyssey) a rest and piled into Raven, my parents' Toyota Sienna.  We got away shortly after six, but had to turn around twenty-five minutes into the journey because I'd forgotten the life jackets.  Whoops!  Nothing like adding an extra hour to an already lengthy trip.  While the most notable, that was just one of several backtracking instances on our journey.  Some days are just like that.  Might as well settle in and enjoy the ride.  My big kids have certainly figured out how to help the time pass quickly.

And here we are having a picnic lunch on the banks of the Mississippi river.  The photobombing rogue frisbee is particularly amusing

In the end, it was nearly eleven by the time we pulled into our Comfort Inn hotel on the outskirts of Cleveland.   By that point I was feeling tangry (tired/angry).   I felt so grateful for a clean, comfy bed!  It's amazing how refreshing sleep can be.

There's more to tell--our last travel day was by far the most exciting--but I'm in desperate need of a good night's sleep once more.  Sweet dreams, world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rest stop on the banks of the muddy Mississippi was beautiful and memorable!