Friday, June 18, 2021

Ultimate & Baseball

This is an oddly challenging post for me to write.  Growing up, I did not play sports.  It's not simply that I didn't participate.  I quite intentionally identified myself as a non-sports person.  The absence of sports from my life was nearly as intentional and self-defining as the absence of cigarettes and alcohol.  Jason didn't do much in the way of sports either, with the exception of Junior Jazz.  And yet here we are, decades later, raising a house full of kids that love their sports.

As a parent, I'm trying to adjust.  I still feel extremely awkward cheering on the sidelines of a frisbee match or from the bleachers of a baseball game.  While I'm quite well-versed in appropriate concert etiquette, I lack modelling in how to be an enthusiastic sports spectator.  If I'm completely honest, watching my kids play is kind of anxiety inducing.  I may have a bit of PTSD from failed childhood sport attempts.  In my one season of softball, my strategy was to swing as little as possible in hopes of getting walked or sent back to the privacy of the dugout.  From my post in the outfield, I'd secretly hope the ball would never come my way so I wouldn't face the humiliation of botching the catch.

No matter my personal neuroses, sports have helped my children flourish in confidence and skill.

My kids amaze me.  Brooklyn demonstrated immense courage when she decided to start going to all the Ultimate practices, even when her friends couldn't.  She jumped right in and played with the boys, earning their respect.  Her commitment to frisbee has been remarkable.  During the height of the season, she played four days a week, often biking four miles to Sugarhouse park to get there.  Her transformation as a player reflects that dedication.  Brooklyn would probably agree that her initial attempts at Ultimate reflected her mother's athleticism.  Watching her play now is a joy--she's really great!  Her coaches recognized her commitment and improvement as they made her one of the Team Captains this year.

As for our Talia, she likewise has a passion for Ultimate Frisbee.  She biked herself to practice even more often than Brooklyn since by the end of the season Brooklyn had a car.  Talia played on the Middle School Krakens A Team.  While many players were talented, I suspect the coaches chose Talia not just because of her skills on the field, but because of her commitment and great attitude.

Here are some pictures of Brooklyn and Talia at the State Championships.  Talia's team ended up taking third in their division, and Brooklyn's team did great as well.

Talia and her Coach Jim de St. Germain.


The Gorillaz (Krakens Girls) give a cheer.

A little (okay, maybe a lot) overcommitted, Brooklyn had to slip out of the tournament for a couple of hours to participate in a virtual Girl Scout Board Meeting as one of the Girl Representatives.

Back in the game as a Handler.





My favorite part of the game--the Spirit Circle where they call out the good things they notice in the opposing team.  Some teams are easier to love than others, but it's good practice no matter what.


Lucky Talia, we went straight from the State Tournament to Walgreens to get her first COVID vaccination.  But truly, lucky Talia!  She's nearly two weeks out from her second shot now and loving the freedom.

But wait!  Perhaps the very best part of Brooklyn and Talia playing Ultimate is their willingness to share their love.  They recently taught the ground rules of the sport for a youth activity.  Here's Amy Jo playing.


I love the movement as Eli collides into Talia.

Speaking of Eli, our little man got to play another season of Avenues baseball this spring.  We certainly missed it during the height of Covid.

Eli played in the minors with the Tigers and his favorite Coach Charles Stormont.  Many of these Tigers have played together since T-Ball!


This was the first year Eli played kid-pitch.  Turns out our family has a pretty great pitcher on our hands.  Way to go Eli!


Here's the team relaxing between games of the Avenues Tournament.  The Tigers won!  



And a few more pics, just because I love the location of the fields, especially as the shadows fall at night.


Annika's favorite part of baseball is playing at the park.  That, and all of the dogs she gets to hug as well.


Our home may not be perfect, but we love our corner of Salt Lake.



Congratulations on another great season, Eli!  Your dedication and hard work is paying off.  It's so fun to watch you grow both as a player and as a supportive teammate.  When you were three, a stranger at a carnival commented on what a good arm you had after watching you throw at one of the booths.    I guess he was right.  :)  Now enjoy the College World Series with your Papa Kay!

No comments: