Thursday, June 17, 2021

Hooked on Yarn

Hooked on Yarn By Talia.  Our little entrepreneur couldn't have come up with a better name for her Etsy shop.  Her handiwork is so prolific that  it begs a post of its own.  This gal is a crocheting monster!  She practically lives with a ball of yarn in her hand.  Our house is overrun.  Indeed, yarn periodically spills from the minivan.  

We've even had to establish a new rule: no crocheting at the dinner table.  Crocheting with Spark in your lap, however, is permissible.

She's crocheted an entire assortment of Among Us crewmembers.  My favorite detail is the little backpack.


If you're looking for tiny, this baby dragon is pretty sweet.


She also made ten amigurumi turtles for a darling neighbor's birthday.  

Around Easter she made these precious bunnies.


And of course, there's the top-selling item from her etsy shop, Bernie Sanders.  Next to Bernie, you can see the runner-up, Baby Yoda.


Outside of her crocheted niche, Talia loved her art class with Jamie Delfin this year.  Art was a lifeline to sanity for so many of these students struggling through online school.  Here's Talia's sketch for her alebrije, or spirit animal.  I'm thinking Coco.



Some intriguing foam sculptures.  The second represents an ocean wave.  Now I'm thinking Moana.



Painting with texture.

This painting has appeared on the blog before, but it's worth mentioning again since it won accolades at the school, district, and state-levels of the PTA Reflection contest, receiving an Award of Excellence at State.


Rhythm of the Rain by Talia Wheeler.  I am a violinist.  I matter because I am perseverant and hard working.  My music can be bright, vibrant, calm or melancholy because music expresses so many feelings.  Since I started playing much later than most, my peers were all much better than me.  It was difficult to begin at the same level as toddlers, but through a lot of effort, I began improving and sounding better.  In my artwork, the rain represents roadblocks and difficulties.  The woman is playing violin even though it's raining which shows she's perseverant and hard working.  Her music matters.

Here's Talia at the reception for  award recipients, held at the Old Dome Meeting Hall in Riverton.  I believe her artwork is still on display there through the end of the month.


Inspired by her sister's creativity, Annika also paints occasionally.  Like her sister, she is very prolific in her expression.  If I remember correctly, this represents about ten minutes of inspiration (and thirty minutes of clean-up.)

This bean creation was part of an Activity Days Zoom meeting.  Annika was unattached to the butterfly, but devastated when I threw away the abstract piece.

Her ultimate form of expression: adorning a birdhouse with mud.  That's Annie through and through. 

 Annika and Eli are both with my parents at the moment, enjoying Camp NomiAnn and Papa Kay.  The house is definitely easier to keep clean now, but I miss them both.  It's far too quiet around here.  I'm reminded of the following poem:

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

Author: Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

No comments: