Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Joy Amidst the Unrest

Hey world, Happy 2021!  

I just received a notification on my phone informing me how the US Capitol is on lockdown after protesters stormed the building, all thanks to Mr. Trump refusing to concede the election to Biden.  Sometimes I feel like I'm living in this warped reality.  I really don't have words.  

Looking on the brighter side, our family is out of lockdown.  After lots of quarantine, masks, and isolation, Eli was the only one who tested positive for Covid.  He is back in school, as is Annika.  Brooklyn and Talia are doing school online.  You'll be glad to know that the public health department finally contacted us about Eli's positive test from December 19th...on January 3rd.  Not sure what good that does fifteen days after, but they are trying.  Our school board had a huge debate about reopening the secondary schools last night.  I'm a bit confused about what was decided--hopefully clarification is forthcoming.  I still think it's a foolish idea to reopen with a 33% positivity rate.  Utah set a new record for daily cases a few days ago at 4671.  Plus, there's all this talk about a new strain that is more transmissible.  (Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be more serious.)

Wait, I'm supposed to be looking on the bright side!  I don't think anybody really thought that all our troubles were going to disappear in 2021, but I think it's clear that we are still up for some major challenges.

Okay, here are some things that bring me unmitigated joy.  Music!  I loved listening to Brooklyn and Talia spontaneously play carols during December.

Spark occasionally kept them company.

Our family is ever so grateful for our children's music teachers.  Talia's violin teacher, David Langr, built this temporary add-on to his garage out of plywood and plexiglass so that he could safely teach his students in person.  For Christmas, he decorated it with lights and a mini tree.  I get choked up just thinking about it.

A violinist with the Utah Symphony, he even hooked Talia and I up with tickets for a performance with Pinchus Zuckerman.


Here are a couple of links to Talia's online studio recital.  She has learned so much from Mr. Langr, practicing diligently every morning.



Brooklyn's teacher, Dr. Lauren Posey, came to our home to perform with Brooklyn for her Book 4 cello recital.


Dr. Posey has brought so much joy into our home, inspiring practice by the lov.


I don't have a link for Brooklyn's recital yet, but here's a video of her last jury.

Last but not least, we are thankful for Grandma Susie!  Over the past couple of months, she has graciously taught piano to Talia and Eli over zoom.  They love getting to spend one-on-one virtual time with her each week, and are making strong progress.

Other joyful moments: neighborhood walks.  In the month of December, I set a goal to close my Apple watch loops each day.  It was more challenging that I expected, requiring lots of late night dashes up the hill to the U.  It required extra time during a busy month, but was totally worth it.  I feel more emotionally balanced when I exercise.  Even more, I love connecting with my family when we walk together.

Walking at night is so much better with Christmas lights.


Plus, this is one Santa you can actually hug.

Of course, it is possible to go a little overboard.  This home in the upper Avenues is legendary.



Personally, I'll stick with our family's simple approach.

Lest I seem too smug about our lights, the process of getting them hung was not ideal.  Here's Jason at the tippy top.

And here are the rest of us, trying to ensure he doesn't die.  In case the picture's not clear, the ladder is perched on top of the shoe bench, with our children holding it down as ballast.  Just for the record, I clearly expressed my opinion that this was a bad idea.  My opinion hasn't changed, but I admit the lights look nice.  If they never come down, you'll know why.

Back to the theme of walks, Jason and I saw a stunning sunset up by the U of U hospital.

We also saw some fresh mountain lion tracks!


In case you doubted whether those are really from a mountain lion, here's a photo from the internet for comparison.

And with that, it's time for another walk to clear my head.  As the news reports roll in, my anxiety is rising.  Personally, I find the cougar in my backyard much less frightening than the madman in the White House.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pleased you and your family have moved beyond quarantine and are finding such joy in music. There is so much beauty in the world when we look for it.

However, I could not agree more that Donald J. Trump is a madman. There is little doubt that he will attempt to "pardon" his family members and even himself before his term ends.

Susie said...

I agree with your assessment of the benefits of walking and exercise! Totally clears my head and can change a mood from dour to cheerful within 20 minutes. It’s like MAGIC! Love you all and your darling gingerbread house with the lights!